G&K video preview with Dennis Shirk and Ed Beach

There was also an article circulating yesterday about a guy (on Reddit.com) who played a single civ 2 game for 10 years, well into the future era. I suspect that was timed to coordinate with G&K's release as well. Put civ on everyone's mind.
The Civ2 story might be simply a coincidence, because unlike other things (say, a particularly well produced Youtube viral marketing video), it's harder to predict the story would be as successful as it is.

Originally Posted by Lyoncet
Germany needs a boost. I think the nail-biting is a really over what this will do for Bismarck who spams those LKs out like an Übermensch.
then toss in the ability to buy LKs via religion (if that belief is taken).

Its not quite the buff I was looking for but I'll take it. Good grief Bismarck is going to
be a menace. Get yourself the Great Library and Hanging Gardens and National epic
add a Barracks and start the great Teutonic Production Line of Doom. Then flatten your
rivals!

Is it just me, or are the percetnages outrageously high in God and Kings? mostly for balance, but I've noticed they sure are trying to make certain units really good.. like Archers no longer being penalized for attacking Cities, but then Siege units have a large percetnage bonus against cities.

I agree, but I think that it's just to make things go a bit faster, since we see battles between units are going to take longer. Cities, right now, take forever to capture, whereas units are smote easily. This, I believe, is going to be a bit more evened out in G&K. It seems that now there are incentives to build siege weaponry, since it will take longer to destroy them and then can deal quite a blow to cities.

They didn't really talk about or show any screens of the Espionage mechanic, either. Hopefully this indicates we'll get another preview? :)

Or perhaps they decided to take it out of the game completely? :hoping: :)

They should be. Walls have been far too optional or ineffective in most of the Civ series.

At 2:23 there's some indication of wall/castle strength.

Breda with pop 10 and no walls or castle having strength 28.

Utrecht with pop 12 and walls plus castle having strength 45.

There a difference of 17 and only a difference of 2 pop. I don't know the vanilla formula to account for the 2 pop difference, but my guess is that walls/castle are more than +4. I've read they give more health to a city as well.

I believe we've also had confirmed that at least walls and probably other defensive structures as well add HP to the city. IIRC, Walls provided +50 on top of whatever the base HP is, which again, we don't know.

The Hussar shows a flanking bonus of +45%.

The strength of the Horse Archer has increased since the PAX demo. It was 6/8, now 7/10.

New strengths for Bomber (65) and Submarine (35/60).

There's an image of the Galleass being attacked by a Privateer in the opening montage.

At 2:23 there's some indication of wall/castle strength.

Breda with pop 10 and no walls or castle having strength 28.

Utrecht with pop 12 and walls plus castle having strength 45.

There a difference of 17 and only a difference of 2 pop. I don't know the vanilla formula to account for the 2 pop difference, but my guess is that walls/castle are more than +4. I've read they give more health to a city as well.

I wouldn't be surprised if Oligarchy now gives a bonus to defensive buildings. It currently is +100% to city Ranged Combat Strength, but considering that the Pantheon belief Goddess of Protection only gives +30% increase in city Ranged Combat Strength, +100% seems a bit out of whack.

I thought that I remembered something about privateers ransoming ships or cities. But i didn't see anything like that with the Sea Beggar footage. (Or is this something that existed only in my imagination?) Also no Hidden Nationality for this unit. No real surprise there, but a departure from Civ4.

So much info my mind is blowing up. [pissed]

Let's not get into that arguement again, it makes perfect sense, it is to balance out the fact that landing a unit on a mountain takes away HALF of your unit's health. Who else would waste 50 HP if you're going to ALWAYS end up on a mountain? Nobody would've use the Mountains if the cost would be 2 since 95% of units would actually end up always on a mountain.
The better way to deal with that is to make the health hit less than 50%, not to make Mountains the same movement cost as Plains. Crossing mountains should still be difficult, even for Carthaginians.

It looks like the last push by marketting to me. My Google Alert for G&K has had several blogs showing this video. It wouldn't surprise me if a few more articles came out in the next few days.

There was also an article circulating yesterday about a guy (on Reddit.com) who played a single civ 2 game for 10 years, well into the future era. I suspect that was timed to coordinate with G&K's release as well. Put civ on everyone's mind.

If they seriously want to do that, they should post something backing their claims of a vastly improved AI. That alone is going to hurt their sales. Many people who play CiV now do not plan on buying GnK, unless they know the AI issues are improved.

For the ruins of faith it says quote" You have found a secret religious community. The preacher foretells the arrival of a great prophet. You have recieved 60 faith."

In the video, Breda has a trade route although there is no road connections. So, the Polders are acting as one !

They are yielding 4f 1p 2c on marshes who are usually 1f 0p 0c

Ouch. So you have tiles that cost your enemy 2 movements points, gives them a defensive penalty, but act for yourself as a free road.

Top Bottom