Tomatekh's New Civilizations

Are there any Russian-English speakers that would like to help by translating a few lines for the Kievan Rus' mod?

“+1 [x] Gold for every Social Policy adopted and Workers construct Tile Improvements 20% faster.”

“[x] from adopting Policies.”

“Resilient medieval infantry unit capable of providing additional defense for your empire.”

“+15% Defense”

If you could keep the [x] brackets in front of the same word (it displays the gold icon). That would cover all the explanation text. All the rest is just filler civlopedia entries lifted from Wikipedia that doesn’t really need to be translated.

Are there any Russian-English speakers that would like to help by translating a few lines for the Kievan Rus' mod?

“+1 [x] Gold for every Social Policy adopted and Workers construct Tile Improvements 20% faster.”

“[x] from adopting Policies.”

“Resilient medieval infantry unit capable of providing additional defense for your empire.”

“+15% Defense”

If you could keep the [x] brackets in front of the same word (it displays the gold icon). That would cover all the explanation text. All the rest is just filler civlopedia entries lifted from Wikipedia that doesn’t really need to be translated.

+1 [x] золота за каждый принятый общественный институт; рабочие создают улучшения на 20% быстрее

[x] от принятых общественных институтов

Универсальный средневековый юнит, способный лучше защитить вашу империю

+15% в защите

I'm not sure about how to translate "resilient" though

+1 [x] золота за каждый принятый общественный институт; рабочие создают улучшения на 20% быстрее

[x] от принятых общественных институтов

Универсальный средневековый юнит, способный лучше защитить вашу империю

+15% в защите

I'm not sure about how to translate "resilient" though

Thanks a lot!

Having certain texts translated is one of the most frequent comments on the workshop.

And partly, I just make the factions I find interesting, and I also think the historical importance of those three factions justifies their inclusion over any potential overlap.

And heck, it's not like anyone has to include them in their game, if they don't want to. So I say, the more factions, the better! :3

(I also really appreciate some of the background you've provided... I find the Timurids particularly interesting, because I remember reading about those central Asian cultures at one point and then misplacing the source I'd read about them in. It's nice to get a refresher on them.)

yeah lol
turks replaced byzantines which were essentially greeks/romans. roman empire was replaced by empire of franks, who were actually germanic tribe and conquered a territory which now belongs to france, germany and italy. shouldnt all these civs be represented by a single one? :lol:

Given that the Hittites were in Anatolia/Turkey before the Byzantines and Ottomans, the whole "they occupy the same land therefore they're the same" argument could get really weird by suggesting the Hittites and Ottomans are the same... :p

EDIT: Whoops! Missed a whole page of new posts... X3

With the Garamantes unique ability, what does "fresh water" actually mean? Does it just mean that the farm bonus comes earlier or does it increase their yield? If the latter, then I'll DL - finally, a civ which actually makes desert work.

Also, a modding question. How did you get the part of the Benin unique ability with the copper and the iron to work?

With the Garamantes unique ability, what does "fresh water" actually mean? Does it just mean that the farm bonus comes earlier or does it increase their yield? If the latter, then I'll DL - finally, a civ which actually makes desert work.

Also, a modding question. How did you get the part of the Benin unique ability with the copper and the iron to work?

It means literally how the game uses Fresh Water, the adjacent tiles behave exactly the same as if they were adjacent to a lake and the city can build fresh water buildings, e.g. garden, regardless of the normal terrain.)

Invisible dummy building that grants x resource each turn based on y resource count. That is, it doesn't actually let you use copper as iron but instead grants +1 iron for each copper mine you have, which is functionally the same. This creates display confusion for people who don't realize how it works, though, and leaves open the possibility of a trade exploit (though if you trade the copper you lose the iron, and it's up to the player not to intentionally break their own game). The better way to do this would be to actually create a new strategic resource for the dummy building to grant (which would also solve the other problems). This was the original intention but I couldn't find/don't believer there is a way to set "resource or" for the units.

:eek: The Timurids seem to have definitely gotten an interesting new ability!

outstanding!

I have a soft spot for the Timurids. They were the first civ I made from scratch (the Goths and Sumer, especially their early releases, were more just ports from scenarios), and they are one of my favorite civs historically.

The game does not want to play nice with the new ability though. Every time I think I'm done I discover some new issue that needs to be addressed.

maybe we could help you with design / coding

Thanks for the offer, but I have it almost all worked out now. I just can't completely finish testing it till next week as I have a big paper due tomorrow night and then I'm going away for the weekend.

I've found some things that can't be avoided, mainly in terms of the free buildings granted by wonders/policies. The conflicts would be relatively easy to fix except the developers never included the ability to add/remove free buildings with lua. So I had to code a less than ideal limitation into the new trait.

I've also already received a lot of help from Moriboe and especially FramedArchitect for the new trait.

One thing I haven't been able to test recently, though, is what Hiram reported a few posts back (here and here). He was experiencing crashes coming from unit movement animations with my civs. He's the only one ever to report this, so I'd like feedback if anyone's ever encountered something similar. It could very well be the SQL for the new unit graphics I've been using or the graphics themselves.

Can you update the OP with the new Timurid ability please? It's one of the ones that I'm considering downloading.

Okay, let's guess if any of my civs are in danger from the new expansion, and, if so, what civ should I turn them/re-cycle their abilities into.

I think I'm mostly all right. One of the factors when I chose to make a civ was if it would likely be in future DLC or an expansion, which is why I avoided obvious choices like Portugal and the Zulu.

No chance in Hell to be in the expansion:

-The Garamantes, obviously.
-Kievan Rus', for similar but slightly less obvious reason as the Garamantes.

Basically no real chance:

-Mali, Songhai kills it.
-The Goths, if they were going to add them it would have been in the last expansion.

Was worried:

-Sumer, I wouldn't have minded seeing an official version of them, but the screenshot of the Siege Tower basically confirms Assyria for me which kills Sumer's chances. If they do get it, their ability is being recycled into Harappa.

Honestly not sure, but still not that worried:

-The Hittites, they were important, they are civ veterans, their inclusion in the Wonders scenario slightly kills their chances (which is why I originally included them), but I don't feel that's much of an issue anymore. Some people may discount them on account of Assyria, but the Hittites never really overlapped with the Sumer-Akkad-Babylon-Assyria group. If they do get in their ability would get recycled into a new wonder (either the Isthar Gate or the Persian Gate of All Nations). Honestly, they're the civ I'm least satisfied with and did the least amount of art assets for, so their inclusion would be no big loss to my modding efforts (and I kinda would like to see an official version).

-Benin, I feel the African Scenario confirms at least 2 new African civs. Three (a third of the new civs) seems too much, and only one would leave the actual African continent pretty sparse. Granted it could just have scenario civs as it would almost definitely already be featuring two new in Portugal and Zulu. Anyway, if you want to go with the most important Sub-Saharan Empire that also played a huge role in colonization it would be Kongo and Benin. I feel Kongo wins out in importance and fills an empty area of the map (with Benin being very close to Songhai's domain). Great Zimbabwe was an important empire as well, but less with colonization and it's land area would be close/overlap with the Zulu. Don't know what I would turn them into.

-The Timurids, okay, I would love an official Timurids civ, but they're also the civ I've now put the most work into and they have a really cool new ability and I wouldn't want that effort to go to waste. I can't think of obvious reasons to deny their chances, maybe you can even argue they fit with the trade motif with the Silk Road. I'm sure I can find another civ to take their new ability, though.

Anyway, my actual guesses for the expansion are:

Poland
Assyria
Portugal
Zulu
Kongo
Sioux (or another native North American civ)
Majapahit
Brazil
???

All of those I'm confident with and could think of good reasons that fit the expansion or needs of the game. The last spot I don't know, a surprise dark horse candidate maybe.

killmeplease, Tomatekh - in this instance I think неунывающий is a pretty good translation for resilient. By the way, I lived in Samara (and Saratov & Orenburg) from 1999 - 2001. I miss it terribly.

Top Bottom