Mongolia/Keshik Buff!

Monty_Droppings

Chieftain
Brave New World has made warmongering a bit more tedious. This is due to the lack of early gold (can't buy/sell lump sum without DOF), and the dependency of gold on international trade routes (You can't be an ass to everyone...). This makes one sided warmongering civs... interesting.

What Mongolia offered pre-BNW:

- A crap UA. (Why would you EVER want to attack CSs?)
- A crap UA part 2 (did not apply to mounted range units ala Keshik)
- The hands down best UU in the game without a doubt. (all hail Keshiks)
- A solid secondary UU (Keshik Support)

What Mongolia offered post-BNW

- An even more crappy UA (If you attack a CS, the world will murder you)
- A still crap UA part 2.
- Arguably the best UU in the game. While Keshiks got stronger, Camel Archers got MUCH stronger relatively.
- A still solid secondary UU.

I look at Arabia, which I argue has the best UU/UA/UB synergy in the entire game. Desert Start Bias + Double Oil + Extra religious trade route pressure + Desert Folklore + Bazaars, Throw in a UU that is essentially a Keshik short 1 move point, extra strength and without sparkle (Great Generals 1 and XP bonus) and it just seems unfair.

So there were 2 ways I thought about buffing Mongolia, the first was giving them a UA that benefited their warmongering. That seemed boring. The second, much more interesting thing, was to buff the Almighty Keshik so that it undoubtedly better than the Camel Archer rather than just being arguably better.

The first thing I did was change the UA so that it now benefits the Keshik and Khan, now they have +1 Movement respectively. Both units also ignore terrain costs to reflect how epic the Mongols were at horseback riding.

To further differentiate it from the Camel Archer, I have put the Keshik through the Chu-Ko-Nu formula. So the Chu-Ko-Nu has 14 range strength, down from 18 of the normal Crossbowman. That is roughly 80% of the original value. The Keshik was originally 16 range strength, and 80% of that rounds to 13 ranged strength. So now it has the Chu-Ko-Nu promotion in exchange for ranged strength(which is separate from the Logistics promotion, so you can get Logistics + this promotion, giving you 3 ranged attacks) If you also somehow manage to get a Horseman to Blitz, this carries over to the Keshik which would get you to 4 attacks per turn.

Due to the Keshik being a knight replacement, Mongols are forced to either keep some horsemen un-upgraded, or leave a few scouts around to capture cities, which slows things down. In short, the bus will now keep rolling, as Keshiks now can melee attack/ capture cities (use the move command to melee attack)

TL;DR:

UA: Same crappy UA, but now affects Khans and Keshiks (6 Move points respectively)
UU: Khan now ignores terrain costs.
UU2: Keshik:
13 Ranged Strength, down from 16.
Now begins with Double Attack Promotion (Stacks with Logistics and Blitz)
May now melee attack and capture cities.
Ignores Terrain Costs.​

What do you guys think? Did I go too crazy? :lol: :goodjob:

Attachments

• Mongolia Rebalance (v 1).civ5mod
    1.1 KB · Views: 243
This looks good. Although I honestly think it would not be boring to change the UA dramatically, you have accomplished the goal of making it a unique civ to play (well, it looks like it anyway) through your UU alterations. Mongolia definitely needed this. There's clear ways in how to make them unique and the devs just didn't really follow through.

I really like your Hunnic overhaul too.You totally have an opening to get a nice revised base civs thread going! Some of the civs (esp. pre BNW ones) really need it! Though take a look at JFD's thread, he's got some good revision going on as well.

This looks good. Although I honestly think it would not be boring to change the UA dramatically, you have accomplished the goal of making it a unique civ to play (well, it looks like it anyway) through your UU alterations. Mongolia definitely needed this. There's clear ways in how to make them unique and the devs just didn't really follow through.

I really like your Hunnic overhaul too.You totally have an opening to get a nice revised base civs thread going! Some of the civs (esp. pre BNW ones) really need it! Though take a look at JFD's thread, he's got some good revision going on as well.

Thank you for the kind words!

I thought about doing a revised civ thread, but I wasn't really sure how much I was going to keep doing this. I am just a novice at this after all.

I agree with your statement about pre-BNW civs in general. Songhai, India, and Denmark are ones that I have been working on.

I have also been working on my first standalone custom civ, The Principality of Sealand. Its going to be a hypercube civ, an OCC, Venice style. It will be able to found its city on water, effectively creating a one tile island civ. I am still waiting on some LUA code help for the found on water ability, but I have finished what I can, and it's going to be geared towards a cultural victory (because its Sealand, who doesn't want to go there?)

I have also been working on a North Korean Civ. I have had SO much fun making this civ, and I think it will really be a unique experience when I finish it.

I thought about doing a revised civ thread, but I wasn't really sure how much I was going to keep doing this. I am just a novice at this after all.

I agree with your statement about pre-BNW civs in general. Songhai, India, and Denmark are ones that I have been working on.

I have also been working on my first standalone custom civ, The Principality of Sealand. Its going to be a hypercube civ, an OCC, Venice style. It will be able to found its city on water, effectively creating a one tile island civ. I am still waiting on some LUA code help for the found on water ability, but I have finished what I can, and it's going to be geared towards a cultural victory (because its Sealand, who doesn't want to go there?)

Sounds good, an amphibious civ sounds like it may end up being a game-changer for civ 5. Looking good for novice work - these are relatively simple (just code, no art) changes that a lot of people are interested in. Songhai definitely needs something, especially after G&K. I really found More Civs' take on India satisfying, but it does dramatically change the civ and add 4 new ones in.

I have also been working on a North Korean Civ. I have had SO much fun making this civ, and I think it will really be a unique experience when I finish it.

You know, i think Sealand has been done already...

You know, i think Sealand has been done already...

People have done the same civs as another modder many times before, there's no problem with doing another Sealand.

People have done the same civs as another modder many times before, there's no problem with doing another Sealand.

I didn't say there was any problem, but it shouldn't be exactly the same civ, though( i mean it should have different unique attributes).

Top Bottom