Computer Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread II

Same thing as before. The laptop does not recognize the second monitor still, although now I have the choice of forcing both VGA and "Composite", neither make a difference.

I'm trying to adjust the video color and video image settings on my NVIDIA control panel, but I'm not seeing any changes in the videos I'm watching, and under the video image page, every time I try to switch from "use the video player setting" to "use the nvidia setting", I click apply, it keeps switching itself back to the "use the video player setting" option and greying out the options under the "use the nvidia setting" settings.

How do I get it to accept and display my changes?

I have 2 drives on the same computer. Most of the contents are the same. But I want to make them completely the same, and it's a very large number of files. How do I do that?

I have 2 drives on the same computer. Most of the contents are the same. But I want to make them completely the same, and it's a very large number of files. How do I do that?

Rsync might work.

It's very easy on linux. I'd just run ubuntu off a thumb drive of cd and copy the files from one drive to another, without overwriting preexisting files.

Ok, 14 hours ago, I was running Celestia, and I had a good 40 fps framerate in a bit of a graphics intensive area. Just now, going back to it, the fps is only 5, even though I've been there multiple times before, all with 40 fps rates.

It is bleeping irritating. What would cause this bullcrap?

Before I decide to get a new processor. Let me make sure I have the steps right.
1. Open computer and take off cooling fan
2. Clean bottom of cooling fan
3. Take out old processor
4. Place new processor in (touching only the edges)
5. Place some cooling paste on the processor (would this or this work?)
6. Lock processor in place
7. Reinstall fan
8. Close everything up

I suppose before I do this though, I should probably get an external hard drive to back up my files.

Backing up regularly, and particularly before any major work, is good. You should also, while you are in there, take a can of compressed air and blow out all the dust you can get to.

You place the thermal paste between the processor and the heatsink, not directly on top of it...

I may be getting my new hard drive soon. I was curious about something. I've heard a lot of people using a seperate partition for games. What are the advantiges and disavdentages of this and is it recommended really.

Under windows, I don't see an advantage. If your boot partition was short of space, you could install the games elsewhere. But windows is still going to default to saving data to C:. So it amounts to an organizational thing.

It can be a bit of a hassle to find the game folders in Program Files sometimes, since they're all under the publisher's name - but that can easily be fixed by renaming them when you install and/or putting them all in C:/Games. So there's not really much point in it at all IMO.

Well on my current setup all the games are under C:/Games to keep it a little more organized.

When separating the OS partition from your games/programs/data partition you save yourself time when reinstalling programs etc

What is the averge lifespan of an external hard drive and what is a good one for <$100 and at least 500 GB of space?

Average lifespan isn't really easy to figure out, or useful. Hard drives can fail at any time - expect for it to last until it becomes obsolete, plan for it to fail tomorrow.

External hard drives come in either 2.5" or 3.5" form factors. 3.5" takes a power connector, in addition to being physically larger.

I generally recommend getting whatever drive has the cheapest $/GB cost, unless you specifically need something larger.

Best price per GB on Newegg for 2.5" drives is 1.5TB for $120: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148861

Best price per GB on Newegg for 3.5" drives is 3TB for $130: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148865

My Win 7 taskbar is set to auto-hide, but it is refusing to do so. Turning auto-hide off and on and off and on again didn't help. It was working just fine until now. :mad:

Why is it refusing to auto-hide? :mad:

Top Bottom