Tech Tree Discussion

@Vokarya

This is where we have one of the Religion founding clusters and desperately needs to be changed.

Sacrifice and Dualism should Not be required techs for Poly.

Dualism and Sacrifice both give religions which leads directly into Poly giving the Tech Race leader 3 religions in a Very short tech span. Must Not happen. And neither Sacrifice or Dualism should be a reguired/prereq tech for each other either.

Please separate these 3 religion founding techs from each other.

We have other techs that do the same thing with more religions further down the tech tree. Please be aware of this. It has been an ongoing discussion for some time now. We did break up the Poly/Mono/Bhudd chain earlier with some good results.

JosEPh

@Vokarya

This is where we have one of the Religion founding clusters and desperately needs to be changed.

Sacrifice and Dualism should Not be required techs for Poly.

Dualism and Sacrifice both give religions which leads directly into Poly giving the Tech Race leader 3 religions in a Very short tech span. Must Not happen. And neither Sacrifice or Dualism should be a reguired/prereq tech for each other either.

Please separate these 3 religion founding techs from each other.

We have other techs that do the same thing with more religions further down the tech tree. Please be aware of this. It has been an ongoing discussion for some time now. We did break up the Poly/Mono/Bhudd chain earlier with some good results.

JosEPh

I agree with you that the cluster needs breaking up. That was not my intent here - I was just trying to point out where there is a prerequisite on the tech tree that is meaningless in terms of the game, because you will always have one of the prerequisites as part of researching another. At the moment, I can't think of any new tech ideas beyond a Calculus tech that would sit at the very beginning of the Renaissance. I'll write it up later.

Okay, I just assumed you were helping SO place the new techs. Sorry.

JosEPh

Okay, I just assumed you were helping SO place the new techs. Sorry.

JosEPh

No, I'm just trying to make sure that the tech tree is not more complex than it needs to be. If I can think of any changes that would help, I will be sure to post them.

What is the other cluster you are thinking of?

Confucianism, Taoism, (3rd one just drew a blank) is another group.

Mono (Judaism) and Buddhism are still next door neighbors too.

I need to look at the tree again, especially with all these new changes.

JosEPh :)

I came up with a few questions about the names of technologies.

In my Stories & Tales thread, I noticed that Astronatutics is probably misspelled and should be Astronautics instead. See the Wikipedia article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astronautics.

Also, I am not a big fan of naming techs "Ancient" X, "Modern" X, or "Advanced" X if a more descriptive name is available. I would like to propose the following renames for clarity:
Modern Physics becomes Particle Physics
Modern Sports becomes Professional Sports
Modern Warfare becomes Combined Arms

What do you think?

In my Stories & Tales thread, I noticed that Astronatutics is probably misspelled and should be Astronautics instead. See the Wikipedia article:

Also, I am not a big fan of naming techs "Ancient" X, "Modern" X, or "Advanced" X if a more descriptive name is available. I would like to propose the following renames for clarity:

What do you think?

Combined Arms sounds like something one of the Roman Emperors initiated in one of the military reforms.

Combined Arms sounds like something one of the Roman Emperors initiated in one of the military reforms.

I was actually thinking of Civilization II here. Combined Arms is Advanced Flight + Mobile Warfare in that game, and allows Helicopters and Paratroopers. "Modern Warfare" just says to me, "Modern compared to what?" I really have this naming issue with Ancient Ballistics and Ancient Medicine, but I can't think of better names or I would suggest them.

I was actually thinking of Civilization II here. Combined Arms is Advanced Flight + Mobile Warfare in that game, and allows Helicopters and Paratroopers. "Modern Warfare" just says to me, "Modern compared to what?" I really have this naming issue with Ancient Ballistics and Ancient Medicine, but I can't think of better names or I would suggest them.

What facinates me about medicine or medications is that f the 250 remidies from the time of Hatshepsut 200 of the recipies were still the same in 1950, or at least the main ingredients. Improvements in extraction technique and clocks mean that the prayers were no longer needed to time the preparations. The other 50 are either insuffcently translatable to tell or better active ingrediants were found in the "New World". In the 1950's chemestry had advanced enough that we could make the active ingrediants rather than harvest them from nature.

"Modern" as in the Modern Era.

New Tech: Homo Cosmicus
Cosmicus - Humanity's climb to the status of a space-faring civilization, a necessary step to increase the lifetime of this technical civilization, the term “cosmicus” comes from the father of Russian astronautics, Konstantin Tsiolkovsky, who envisioned humanity becoming “homo cosmicus” or a space-faring civilization — we will become “homo cosmicus” when the first human is born, lives, grows old and dies in space, returning to Earth only as a visitor
Requires Artificial Life
Requires Orbital Megastructures

Prereq For Lunar Megastructure

Unlocks
Wonder: Cosmicus Memorial

A list of inventions that changed the world that could be made into Techs or as some sort of building. Out of the 101 i choose the most plausible that could be included in the game.

http://technology.lilithezine.com/101-Inventions.html

Abacus, AD190
Barbed wire, 1873
Barcode, 1973
Ballpoint Pen 1938
Button, 1235
Camcorder, 1983
Credit card, 1950
Dynamite, 1867
Fax machine, 1843
Flushing toilet, 1597
GPS, 1978
iPod, 2001
Kettle, 1891
Laptop, 1982
Lawnmower, 1830
Lead pencil, 1564
Locks, 2000BC
Microscope, 1590
Microwave oven, 1946
Mobile phone, 1947
Post-it note, 1973
SMS,(Text-message) 1992
Spectacles,(glasses) 1451
Syringe, 1844
The Pill, 1951
Thermometer, 1592
Toothbrush, 1498
Vibrator, (sexToy) 1902
Weighing scales, 5000BC
Zipper, 1913

What do you think?

I agree with you.
Modern Physics should become Particle Physics

Modern Sports should become Professional Sports
Wonder: FIFA World Cup (Soccer)
Modern Warfare should become Armored warfare

Advanced Computers should be Photonic Computers

Brain Machine Interface should be Neurotechnology

Changed the world!!?

Back in the old days only the very wealthy could afford to pay teams of scythe-wielding labourers to keep their pristine lawns in check (or get sheep to do the job, and put up with with droppings between the toes). A farmer's son and textile mill labourer called Edwin Budding changed that in 1830, when, inspired by rotary machines used to trim velvet, he joined forces with the businessman John Ferrabee to build a self-powered cylinder mower almost identical to those still in use.

The masses could now afford trimmed lawns and the lawnmower is one of the primary reasons Suburbia became a reality.

The TECH could be Groundskeeping

Groundskeeping is the activity of tending an area of land for aesthetic or functional purposes; typically in an institutional setting. It includes mowing grass, trimming hedges, pulling weeds, planting flowers, etc. The U.S. Department of Labor estimated that more than 900,000 workers are employed in the landscape and groundskeeping services industry in the United States in 2006. Of these over 300,000 workers were groundskeepers for golf courses, schools, resorts, and public parks.

If it wasnt for the lawnmover most homeowners and businesses would not have lawns, since the labor to maintain lawns was very expensive. Forget about modern baseball stadiums, golf courses, and parks as well as tractors and modern farming, we would be using the plough or some mechanical version of it.

Academic Text
Suburbia and Self
http://books.google.com/books?id=oc...BMAg#v=onepage&q=lawn mowers suburbia&f=false

9 sentences down.. One limiting factor for a lawn was..

Flushing toilet, 1597

Minoan's had these before the Greeks did their thing. ;) They are another "lost technology".

Weighing scales, 5000BC

Usually grouped under the tech Standardisation for weights and measures plus rations and army equipment. ;) The actual level of standardisation improves with time too. From
  • A "foot" of length = the local leader's foot length to
  • A "foot" of length = the king's foot length to
  • "On the second Sunday in the month of June in te year 15-- line up 16 men big and small toe to heal. measure the total length and divide by 16. to
  • how far light travels in ...

If we have it as a tech it should require mathematics and lead to calendar. It or its building should provide a benefit to trade and reduce crime .

I agree with you.
Modern Physics should become Particle Physics

Modern Sports should become Professional Sports
Wonder: FIFA World Cup (Soccer)
Modern Warfare should become Armored warfare

Advanced Computers should be Photonic Computers

Brain Machine Interface should be Neurotechnology

Your Armored Warfare is Armored Vehicles and Mechanized Warfare, which I don't have problems with. Those are nicely straightforward. The Modern Warfare technology is way more comprehensive, so it needs a broader term.

I like Photonic Computers. I think the best word here simply doesn't exist yet. It's one step below Quantum Computing, so that can't work.

Minoan's had these before the Greeks did their thing. ;) They are another "lost technology".

Usually grouped under the tech Standardisation for weights and measures plus rations and army equipment. ;) The actual level of standardisation improves with time too. From
  • A "foot" of length = the local leader's foot length to
  • A "foot" of length = the king's foot length to
  • "On the second Sunday in the month of June in te year 15-- line up 16 men big and small toe to heal. measure the total length and divide by 16. to
  • how far light travels in ...

If we have it as a tech it should require mathematics and lead to calendar. It or its building should provide a benefit to trade and reduce crime .

Standardization (x31 y 1 )
Prerequisite Mathmatics AND Calendar
Enables Sanitation AND Machinery AND Smithing

Your Armored Warfare is Armored Vehicles and Mechanized Warfare, which I don't have problems with. Those are nicely straightforward. The Modern Warfare technology is way more comprehensive, so it needs a broader term.

I like Photonic Computers. I think the best word here simply doesn't exist yet. It's one step below Quantum Computing, so that can't work.

What about Information Warfare?
Global Warfare?
Armed forces?

For Advanced Computers maybe
The computers in Iron Man and Minority Report?

Augmented Computers
Holographic Computers
Virtual Computers

Videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89KxxpmMhi4&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4bJEqoCAuI&feature=related

Top Bottom