From FIRAXIS: Possible Fixes for "Failed to Initialize Renderer" Startup Error

Jon Shafer

Civilization 5 Designer
Firaxis is currently looking into the startup issues people are experiencing.

There appear to be two seperate issues which lead to the "Failed to Initialize Renderer" bug.

-------------------------------

1) When installing Civ 4 you MUST install the version of DirectX 9 that shows up. If you get a window asking you to upgrade you NEED to update to the new version. Aside from Civ 4 this version is only available through the DirectX Development kit and does not come with other games or with the user DirectX you find through Microsoft.

If you still get the error...

2) People who are receiving a failure to initialize error on startup that own ATI cards should do the following. This has worked on every test case where this problem was experienced.

1. Go to add/remove programs and uninstall the listing titled ‘ATI Graphics Driver’
2. Once uninstalled they need to download the latest version of the Windows Catalyst Driver – 5.10

Windows XP & Windows 2000:
https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&folderID=27

3. REBOOT
4. Retry launching the game

If you still get the error...

Please see this thread:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=133787

Yeah, if you dont uninstall ALL of the old drivers first it could cause conflicts and or bugs,crashes, and other wierd effects. Make sure you remove all the OLD drivers first :)

Then reinstall the new ones.

ATI has a Cataylist uninstall utility on the website. Its in the Utilities section under the downloads page(cat-uninstaller.exe) . It removes all your older driver components. Then install the new drivers and you all should be fine. http://www.ati.com

People who are receiving a failure to initialize error on startup that own ATI cards should do the following. This has worked on every test case where this problem was experienced.

1. Go to add/remove programs and uninstall the listing titled ‘ATI Graphics Driver’
2. Once uninstalled they need to download the latest version of the Windows Catalyst Driver – 5.10

https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&folderID=27

3. REBOOT

Ok - for anybody who doesn't know how to unistall drivers:

1) Go to control panel --> Add/Remove programs
2) In the list there should be some drivers (it's sorted alphabetically, but I don't know where ATI drivers come in, probably under A) - there may be a few, click remove by them all.
3) Restart your computer.
4) OPTIONAL: Download, install, and run Drivercleaner. This should make sure it's all off the system
5) Install the latest driver (or whichever you want)
6) Restart again
7) OPTIONAL - Reinstall Civ. It might not help, it certainly won't harm. I think I read somewhere that there was a problem in the install log to do with drivers, so it may not be optional.
8) Run Civ. If it works, give Trip a cookie.

Moderator Action: Fixed link to Drive Cleaner.

Trip said:
Firaxis is currently looking into the startup issues people are experiencing.

One possible problem may be older versions of ATi drivers. I have been told installing a NEWER version of the ATi drivers over an old version does not completely remove the older version and this might be the cause of the problems.

Something people should try is to completely uninstall ATi video drivers and reinstalling a new version.

Any help in tracking down the issue is helpful. Thanks everyone, hopefully we can get the problems taken care of quickly. :)

I have done this and a few others have posted here doing the same thing but it has not helped. :cry:

I had problems with my ATI card until I enabled fast write. Go to display->advanced and I believe the option is in there somewhere. Someone else said exactly how to do it, but I forget now.

Additionally, the DirectX version included with Civ 4 should be installed as there are additional updates besides DirectX 9c included.

Trip said:
People who are receiving a failure to initialize error on startup that own ATI cards should do the following. This has worked on every test case where this problem was experienced.

3. REBOOT

Wow...you guys got me sweating now. My game comes tomorrow, but I would like to be prepared in case it doesn't work for me.

Here are my specs:

Dell Inspiron 8600 Notebook
P4 1.5 ghz
768 RAM
Windows XP with Svc. Pack 2(or whatever it's called)
Radeon Mobility 9600 Pro Turbo(128 mgs of RAM)

I had to go over to the dell site to upload new drivers for this card.....so are you saying that what I did won't work, and that I'll need the Catalyst Drvers instead??

All srtest told me was that everything should be fine, but to meet "recommended" standards I'd need the Radeon 9800.

I completely uninstalled the ATI drivers and then reinstalled them.
I installed the version of DirectX 9.0c that's included on the game disk.

I still get the same error.

I have a Radeon 8500 AGP with 128megs....should this work fine? I've not seen anyone report on this card yet.

I've got 2 radeon cards and they both were fine....

x700

They have the latest drivers

I too have tried everything suggested. Keep getting the same error.

I have:
Windows XP
AMD Athlon xp 3200+
Saphire Radeon 9600XT w/256MB
1 gig RAM

My heart skipped a beat when I heard there was even a possibility that this might happen luckily, everything's fine so far...

I'm getting "A Cabinet File Necessary for Installtion Cannot be trusted message when Civ 4 tryed and installed Direct X 9c. But I already have DX 9c. Then when I try to load the game I get "a D3DX9_26.DLL was not found. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem" And the game won't run. I uninstalled the game and reinstalled, but I get the same thing. Can anyone help??

Also this thread seems to be about ATI cards, I have a Nvidia 256MB 6800 GT.

Nothing is working! :-(

It's not working.....

:cry: :cry: :cry:

I did the disk cleaner and now Ican't update it...

try to set up your display adaptor with a standard vga driver before running setup... I don't get it

What's going on?!

:cry:

Is anyone besides KenM missing "D3DX9_26.DLL"?

Those who are still having problems please look in C:\windows\SYSTEM32 and see if that file is there.

Top Bottom