Common Checklist for playing mods

what you mean by "does not show up" ? you subscribe and they never download ?

Then yes, cleaning the cache folder could help. Try it first, the ModUserData is a last resort.

what you mean by "does not show up" ? you subscribe and they never download ?

Then yes, cleaning the cache folder could help. Try it first, the ModUserData is a last resort.

I subscribe, they show up in the mods menu, I get em checked in the green and then I try to play but I can't find them (e.g. tamriel map not in the maps list, starting off with a scout instead of a warrior not happening)

But mostly I was curious, what exactly is the cache folder (and ModUserData)? Completely new to this sort of managing so I just want to know what it is I'm deleting

Click "next" not "back" when you've activated the mods you want to use.

The cache folder contains the game databases that are created from the various XML files of the game (and mods).

Civ5 then load the content of those DB when launching a game. AFAIK no harms can come from deleting it between sessions (except re-downloading mods you've subscribed to)

ModUserData store data used by mods, they may expect those data to be persistent and may refer to them when you reload a game (see infoaddict), so you should only delete it when everything else have failed, and be ready to lose your game in progress.

Yeah, I did click next. I pretty much did everything imaginable (including making sure steam was connected) until I found this thread.

Thanks I appreciate the help, hopefully it works

What is the significance of deleting the cache and ModUser folders and does that mean they have no importance at all in gameplay to Civ 5?

"Cache" is a term for small, fast, temporary storage on computers. Caches speed up the computer by organizing important data in an easy-to-access location.

Programs first check the small & fast cache to see if it contains needed data, then check large & slow storage if it's not in the cache. This causes a problem if the cache contains outdated information. A mod might be version 3.0, but the cache has old version 2.0 information, so the game combines old and new info that does not work together. Deleting the cache removes any outdated data, forcing the game to recreate the cache from new data.

I'm just wondering if anyone is experiencing what I imagine to be a bug with GEM? I've played it on a bunch of different maps with different mods but for some reason both my science and gold are leached. So say I'm supposed to be earning 18 science and 11 gold a turn, the next turn I will only go about 8 more science towards my research goal and I'll lose about 4 gold from the treasury. I often use the infographic mod and it will tell me that my pop growth and GNP and literacy is as good as anyone's but i'm well behind. The amount seems to be variable as well as how long it persisst into the game. Initially I just thought that maybe the AI got some kind of bonus or possibly I had a small penalty but, the last game I'm playing I've just researched iron working while someone else of the same relative size and power has moved into the medieval era.

I will try just the unofficial patch and GEM on a standard map with standard setting and see if it persists.

Oh, one last thing. The policies that gift free buildings most notably the free culture buildings on the tradition tree doesn't seem to work for my either.

Anyway, if you're the same Thal who has done mods on a bunch of the different Civs I'll give a hearty thanks. I've played and enjoyed your mods for ages.

OK, so this is after I deleted everything in the cache and modusers folders.

I loaded up just the unofficial patch and GEM. Played France on a continents plus map on Prince with regular settings. I was playing and everything was going swell till about turn 22 I think.

It could have snuck by me a turn or two before but, I'm pretty damn sure it was turn 22. On this turn my Gold, Science and Culture were leached. I had 312 Gold with +13 a turn but went down to 310. I had 15 stowards my next tech and 21 science a turn but only went up to 24 and I had 141 culture with +35 culture a turn but only went up to 164.

The preceding turn my warrior had found some ancient ruins, I had finished building a monument, I finished building calender and my city was able to attack an enemy. Perhaps one of these things sets it off. I'm going to try the exact same game with the same settings and see if one of these tings triggers the leaching.

As a preface, I am entirely new to modding.

When I download most mods, they do not appear upon the mod menu. What I mean by this is the initial download and installation bar appears, completes, and then the mod dissapears and does not reappear with any amount of waiting. While I can't say for certain, I believe that this problem only occurs upon mods that introduce new civilizations(I've been successful with the Perfect world v3 script, the strange religions mod, and the LOTR map only extension, but unsuccessful with the LOTR rohan pack, the Game of Thrones pack[starks included] and the Avatar pack).

After trying the delete cache and ModUserData solutions with resets on the bad mods in the MODS folder, I noted that the problem is that for the mods that my computer is not dealing with correctly, the .civ5mod file is being left still zipped outside of the empty folder that it is supposed to be unzipped in, which makes me think that the problem originates on my computer

Of course, having figured this out midpost, I find it relatively easy to simply unarchive the folders into the correct folder manually, and then it works out just fine. So I suppose this turns into, any ideas why my computer isn't unarchiving these files and how to fix it?

Kaminko, I suspect that is a bug in the game. It has always had bugs with unpacking mods. For example, it used to crash when attempting to unpack blank sql files in mods. Unpacking outside Civ always seems to work.

--- Common Checklist ---

Civ 5 has several things everyone needs to check for when using any mod.

Summary:
  1. Everything up to date.
  2. Update between games.
  3. Try the English version.
  4. Delete the cache folder.
  5. Delete the ModUserData folder.
  6. Delete old mod versions.
  7. Load games from the main menu, and do not regenerate maps.
  8. Replacing farms crashes the game.
  9. If problems occur, check further on the list.

Details:
  1. Ensure your mods and Civ are up to date. Attempting to load mods or saves on incompatible versions of Civ usually crashes the game.

If you're on a mac and a recent patch has not been released for macs, download an older version of the mod. All versions of each mod are available in the mod's listing on the Mod Browser (see Spoiler dropdown below). Many mods on the Mod Browser have not been updated by their creators in months, and won't work with the latest patches; the threads here at CivFanatics are generally the best indicators of recent activity.

Spoiler Past Versions of mods on Mod Browser :
  2. Update mods between finishing one game and starting the next. Changing mods mid-game usually works but sometimes can crash the game or cause other weird effects.
  3. Play mods on the English version of Civ if possible. Some mods are compatible with other language versions, but most mods are less compatible. This is unfortunate, but due to the reality most modders don't have translation teams like Firaxis or other major game developers.
  4. Delete the cache folder. It contains temporary data that can cause bizzare bugs after changing mods:
    C:\<username>\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\cache
  5. Sometimes if you delete the ModUserData folder it can solve rarer problems.
    C:\<username>\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\ModUserData
  6. Ensure you have only one version of the mod installed in the MODS folder.
  7. Exit to the main menu to load games. Loading a savefile from within an active game breaks all mods with lua code.
    UPDATE: it appears the same problem happens if we regenerate the map.
    If you encounter problems while playing a mod . . .
  8. Try the mod on average map settings: standard size, standard speed, Continents script, default advanced game options. Some mods are incompatible with some map scripts.
  9. Try the mod alone with other mods moved out out of the Mods folder:
    C:\<username>\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS
  10. Verify the game files are not corrupted. Firaxis posted instructions on how to do this: click here.
  11. Check the load order of the mods you are using. The mod installed first loads first. To change load order:
    1. Move all mods out of the /MODS folder.
    2. Move in the mod you wish to load first.
    3. Enable it ingame.
    4. Repeat #2-3 for each additional mod, one at a time.
  12. Check if your problem is listed under the "Vanilla Bugs" below.
  13. Contact the mod author about the problem you've encountered. Most mods have a thread or forum here on CivFanatics to leave feedback.

--- Vanilla Bugs/Problems ---

Civ 5 has several things to consider when loading/using mods, but the good news is most problems are easily avoided:

1. Farms: If you build a farm atop a hidden resource like Horses, then later reveal the horses and attempt to build a pasture, the game crashes. This also happens if the AI does it.
    Workaround: None known.
  2. Cache: Cache does not clear after changing mods (causes unpredictable issues from data collision).
    Workaround: Manually delete the cache folder.
  3. Reloading: Loaded within an existing game breaks mods with lua code.
    Workaround: Exit to the main menu before loading games.
  4. Combat: Quick combat and strategic view break mods which detect combat.
    Workaround: Avoid quick combat, and use normal view for combat situations and between turns.
  5. Installation: Multiple versions of a mod in the Mods folder breaks the game, since it loads data from all installed mods, not just enabled ones.
    Workaround: Only have one version of each mod installed.
  6. Updates: Changing mods or mod versions mid-game typically crashes when attempting to load the save (instead of providing an error message).
    Workaround: Update mods between finishing one game and starting the next.
  7. Resources: Any mods that add or modify resources are incompatible with the Lakes, Great Plains, and Highlands map scripts, as well as any scenarios or custom maps with pre-set resource locations.
    Workaround: You can avoid these scripts entirely, or use altered versions of them that have no incompatibilities.
  8. Multiplayer: Mods do not work in multiplayer.
    Workaround: None.
  9. Conflicts: Two mods can be incompatible with each other without having any obvious error messages. If you try using multiple large mods and it doesn't immediately crash, that doesn't mean that the mods work together; you might not see unusual behavior until hundreds of turns into the game.
    Workaround: When in doubt, ask in the mods' threads here at CivFanatics.
dude you just saved my life

Probably a silly question:

Can you enable a new mod in the middle of the game? will it take effect?

Can you enable a new mod in the middle of the game? will it take effect?
Unfortunately, an unequivocal answer cannot be made. You're most likely to run into problems if the mod needs to delete anything from the database. Rule changes may or may not cause problems. Mods that only change aspects of the UI should be OK. For example, R.E.D. Modpack is good, as are all of my mods.

Just for edification, the answer to the opposite question: "Can you disable a mod in the middle of a game?" also depends on the mod. If the modder has properly selected "Affects saved games," the game should silently activate the mod whether or not you have it checked in the Mods menu. However, sometimes the modder has not checked this box when s/he should have; in which case, you may experience weird behavior.

Hi, quick question from a new player.
Do I have to use the Main Menu -> Mods entry every time I load a game, which I want to play with my mods enabled? Or is that menu just for enabling mods and I can safely use the Main Menu -> Single Player entry, as long as the mods are enabled?

Do I have to use the Main Menu -> Mods entry every time I load a game, which I want to play with my mods enabled?

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: If the modder has set the mod as "Affects saved games," then this becomes a required mod for that save, and the game SHOULD automatically enable it even if you load it from the main menu. Sometimes this works properly, but sometimes it doesn't, and sometimes the modder doesn't have the checkbox enabled when they should have.

Always go through the MODS menu, and be careful about updating mods or changing which ones are active in the middle of a game. Even if everything looks OK at first, you may find odd things happen.

EDIT: Mods that make UI-only changes should be OK (like, e.g., R.E.D. Modpack or City States Leaders II), but even some that seem to make only simple interface changes (like InfoAddict) have persisted data. When in doubt, you can always ask the modder.

7> Multiplayer: Mods do not work in multiplayer.
Workaround: None.
Actually, according to this post on the steam forums, there *is* a work around getting mods to work on multiplayer: you cut and paste the mod files directly into the DLC folder under assets folder of your game installation directory after extracting the civ5mod file of course.

Actually, according to this post on the steam forums, there *is* a work around getting mods to work on multiplayer: you cut and paste the mod files directly into the DLC folder under assets folder of your game installation directory after extracting the civ5mod file of course.
Hi, please tell me, where does one paste the various components of a Mod in DLC? there are a number of major files in there. Expansion2, Expansion, etc. Also most importantly where does one include the actual Art files from the Mods? I mean the .fxsml, gr2, dds Atlases and Icons from Mods? not the XML/SQL directives and where do Lua files go so they are activated?

Please let me know if you know. Thanks.

Hi, please tell me, where does one paste the various components of a Mod in DLC? there are a number of major files in there. Expansion2, Expansion, etc. Also most importantly where does one include the actual Art files from the Mods? I mean the .fxsml, gr2, dds Atlases and Icons from Mods? not the XML/SQL directives and where do Lua files go so they are activated?

Please let me know if you know. Thanks.
According to them, everything goes in this folder: Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\Assets\DLC, all loose files and whatnot or wherever you installed civ 5.

Thank you for taking the trouble to answer me. But you see the folder you 're referring to, has many sub-folders below it, like Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\Assets\DLC...\Expansion or \ Expansion2 or DLC7 or DLC6 or... DLC1 and MapScripts etc.
Civ5 achieves an extreme level of robustness, exactly because it has a large number of 'fallback' positions to exploit. By testing and checking the logs, one finds that the game is 'loaded' and 'reloaded' about 3 sometimes 4 times. 1st is the BNWbasic load, then comes Exp2 with the majority of Firaxis changes including mod file packages from Expansion (1) and DLC1 to DLC7 'packages' then a Modders 'Mod' that updates whatever has been included in the now 'ready to play Databse' made up of the previous loads. Depending on the number of Mods, and order of Mod loading, it may go another 'Updating' round and load once more, in order to complete all the mods that a player has requested.

If there are mistakes that the serializer (XML=>SQL) can't read, it completely ignores that file (XML/SQL Worksheet actually) it can't read, and finalizes a DataBase consisting of the previous 'loads' which it presents as ready to play. It's a good and robust thought process, but the drawback is that the player doesn't get the functionality of their Mods. If some of the mods had a misplaced comma somewhere in their code the whole XML/SQL modded worksheet is disregarded, and players can't check the logs while in play to see what was recorded in the Logs as having been the problem/hitch that prevented the disregarded 'file' to not be loaded, until they stop play and go to read the Logs which sometimes is just too late.

My question is where does one go within the labyrinth hiding behind the simply and innocently named \DLC extension or (before it) go to load Art files including Icon Atlases within the game itself not through a Mod. As well as directly accessing the Lua repository and how to add a Lua file that will be accepted and acted upon, without the intervention of ModBuddy activation. Sorry my question was fired off at a moment of great frustration. Once again thanks for replying. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom