Typhlomence's Civilizations

Eh, I was more just hesitant to post WarioWare stuff. It's a bit jarringly different in style, musically. I did forget about Dinomighty being that good though.

Thanks for the suggestions - I'd encountered several of those in my search, actually, but I'm glad that you think they are suitable too. Also, while the WarioWare stuff might be a different style to the others, I still want to include tracks from that since they're just as much a part of Wario's history as the other ones - the civ is intended to represent Wario from both the platformers and the WarioWare games.

I have been working on Wario, and, while I have no screenshots to show you yet, progress has been decent. Unfortunately, the Treasure Hunter's ability to get Gold on digging up an Antiquity Site has turned out to be not as simple as I'd hoped to implement, but I'm confident I can figure out a solution.

Also, Mainwaring has been updated, mainly for mod compatibility:
  • Mod support SQL updated, based on JFD's Master Support file
  • Added support for JFD's Mercenaries
  • UniqueDiplomacyUtils updated to version 3
Bowser should be following in the next few days. I'll be finally updating the OP as well as uploading the new soundtrack mod files - I've separated it out into two sections. There will be a mod that works with all of the Mario civilizations I intend to do, containing tracks that will play for all of them. Each civ will also get a pack of unique tracks that for the most part play only for them (there may be a tiny bit of overlap between two or three of them for some tracks). I've hopefully designed them so you can use only one of the two parts, if your Internet quota is tight or something. :)

An update to Bowser is ready! Get it here, or update it via the workshop.

• Music selection changed to go with new soundtrack packs
  • Mod support SQL updated, based on JFD's Master Support file
  • Added support for JFD's Mercenaries
  • UniqueDiplomacyUtils updated to version 3
  • Slight tweaks to texture mapping on flavour tanks
  • Added A-10 as a flavour Jet Fighter (because of this - I might try reskinning it in future)
Also, I can finally make my new version of the soundtrack mod available! Get it below:

---------------------------------------

I was going to write this up yesterday, but encountered an unexpected obstacle (those of you who are subscribed to my mods on the Steam Workshop might have seen the comments). When I tried to publish to ModBuddy, it failed with the "InvalidParameter" error. It seems to happen when I try to publish a mod above a certain size, which is odd for two reasons: a) that size is not the maximum of 100MB, and b) what I tried to publish was only slightly larger in size to the previous version. I've been spending the day trying to figure out what was going on, but only got more confused since it failed when I tried to reupload the previous version (which obviously was able to be uploaded before).

Even though I probably still could include a small soundtrack with Bowser and be able to publish it, I might want to add non-soundtrack things later, so at present I've decided to move all of Bowser's tracks, sans the diplomacy themes, to the unique soundtrack mod. This will probably be a general rule for civilization soundtracks going forward for me, if I keep getting this problem.

Also, you'll probably notice that the mod is now version 6. OTiger on Steam let me know that my update to Mainwaring on there didn't actually upload either, and while I'm not sure why, I gave the mod a new version number and it properly uploaded (if you downloaded the mod via the link on here, you should be fine). Since my previous versioning scheme might cause a problem like this again, I've decided to go the route of increasing the version number every time I update ala Tomatekh. Mainwaring will be version 5 if you download him from Steam, and I've updated the previous direct link to refer to the same file.

Also, I will be working on Wario and Rosalina more, but maybe not for a couple of days. I'm a bit fed up with modding at the moment, due to all these issues I've been having. Sorry... :(

Okay, thread OP is updated, both with the latest links of my released civs, as well as a list of what I have planned. Hopefully some of the other civilizations I have planned will pique some interest, but I give no guarantee as to when any of those will be done, other than Wario of course!

As for Wario; since I've done some testing of game events to see how I can implement his Treasure Hunter UU, I'll try to get something in-game that I can show you over the next few days.

I will be pushing out an update to Bowser soon, since there was an error in the code that gave him his randomised city names (it didn't work, so you got Bowser's Castle, World 8... and that's it). Drop this into the mod's Lua folder if you don't want to wait.

Progress on Wario has been going well, too... will get some pictures of him in game shortly, but here's some of the art:
Spoiler :
Civilization select - I've changed the trait to "Get Rich Quick!", Wario's "Words to Live By" from WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Party Game$!, as it fits a bit better than "Game & Wario". I'm not sure about it still, though, since it doesn't describe the trait all that well (it's hardly get rich quick :p).

Dawn of Man - this was intended to evoke the covers of the earlier WarioWare games, WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgame$! and WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Party Game$!

Diplomacy screen - like Bowser, I didn't really have a good choice of decent resolution backgrounds for Wario, so again it's a Mario Kart track... :blush:

Treasure Hunter's Civilopedia page - I gave the icon a different background, one that didn't need attribution to use

I tried converting a model of Wario to use for the Treasure Hunter unit over the weekend, but no units from the base game actually have a physique that matches Wario at all, so I either have to have him not look good when animating, or a Wario model that's stretched to be taller (which makes him look like a pudgy Waluigi). Or reskin an existing unit to look like him. I'll have to give it a bit of a think.
Spoiler :

Finally, I kinda left Oarai from Girls und Panzer a bit late, so I'm not sure if I can get something out in time for the movie release on the 21st of this month. I have definitely started work on it, though, so I will see how much I can get done.

Sheesh, five posts in a row? Dunno if I should get in trouble for this...

Anyway... So, the date of the Girls und Panzer movie release has come and gone, and unfortunately, I didn't manage to produce something releasable in time. I have definitely been working on it, though! I can actually give you a good idea on what the first civilization, Oarai, will be like. (Totally meant to post this a week ago...)
Oarai Girls' Academy, led by Miho Nishizumi

UA: Panzer Vor! Mounted and Armor Units get a 50% Flanking Bonus, doubled when at war with a Civilization with a stronger military. -25% :tourism: Tourism from Great Works - gain 1% for every 2 units destroyed from a major Civilization, up to +25%.

UU: Oarai Tank Teams (Tank) Oarai has a selection of eight Tank units they can build, each with their own strengths and weaknesses. In addition, the first instance of each built in the empire will receive a unique promotion, which will be kept on upgrading. If the "leader unit" of an Oarai Tank Team variant is lost, the next instance built or upgraded to will receive the promotion. The available tanks are:
  • Panzer IV Ausf. D - Starts at 63 :c5strength: Combat Strength and is cheaper than the standard Tank. It will upgrade to the Panzer IV Ausf. F2 and Panzer IV Ausf. H as it gains experience, becoming more powerful (70 and 77 Strength respectively) and gaining additional bonuses (getting terrain bonuses and gaining :c5culture: Culture on kills, respectively).
    • Anglerfish Team promotion: 50% Flanking Bonus, and has the combat-boosting ability of the Great General.
  • Type 89 - 55 :c5strength: Combat Strength and very cheap, but has a 40% :c5strength: Combat bonus against Melee and Gunpowder units.
    • Duck Team promotion: Gains an extra :c5moves: Movement Point if it starts the turn with 50 or less HP.
  • StuG III Ausf. F - Tank destroyer, with 55 :c5strength: Combat Strength and a 75% :c5strength: Combat bonus against Armor units, but has a 15% :c5strength: Combat penalty when defending. If it starts a turn fortified in a Forest, Jungle or Snow tile, it will be invisible to other Civilizations and will lose its defense penalty.
    • Hippo Team promotion: Gains :c5culture: Culture whenever a combat unit is killed in an adjacent tile from battle, equal to 5% its base :c5strength: Combat Strength (minimum of 1).
  • M3 Lee - Can pillage tiles at no cost, but has a 15% :c5strength: Combat penalty when defending.
    • Rabbit Team promotion: Gains experience 50% faster, but until level 5 will have a 10% chance of fleeing if it is attacked.
  • Panzer 38(t) - 60 :c5strength: Combat Strength. Can attack twice in the same turn and gains +1 Sight when starting a turn fortified. Can upgrade to the Hetzer on reaching level 5, which turns it into a anti-armor unit with 55 :c5strength: Combat Strength, 60% :c5strength: Combat bonus against Armor units, and a 15% :c5strength: Combat penalty when defending.
    • Turtle Team promotion: Ignores enemy Zone of Control, and has a chance of damaging an adjacent enemy unit by 5 HP (an enemy unit will never be killed in this way) and reducing it to one movement point for the next turn.
  • Char B1 bis - 60 :c5strength: Combat Strength. Performs a ranged attack first whenever it attacks another unit, and can heal at the end of a turn even if it performs an action.
    • Mallard Team promotion: acts as a Courthouse if garrisoned in an occupied city.
  • Chi-Nu - 15% :c5strength: Combat Strength bonus in friendly lands.
    • Anteater Team promotion: Gains some experience for every turn it is garrisoned in a city.
  • Porsche Tiger - 85 :c5strength: Combat Strength and is more expensive than the standard Tank. Gets a 10% :c5strength: Combat bonus when defending. However, it has a 10% chance of "breaking down" each turn, preventing it from moving that turn. The percentage decreases 1% for every level (disappearing at level 11).
    • Leopon Team promotion: Gains 15% additional :c5strength: Combat Strength when defending if it ends the turn without any friendly combat units adjacent to it. They will also heal themselves and adjacent units by an additional 5 HP every turn.
UB: Automotive Club (Research Lab) Available at Combustion instead of Plastics. As well as its normal effects, any Armor unit eligble for a promotion in a city with an Automotive Club will gain access to unique promotions. The Automotive Club will also provide a free source of Oil, up to a maximum of five in the empire.

As you can see, Oarai's UU is... rather complicated. I feel though, and I hope you agree if you've also watched Girls und Panzer, that including all of Oarai's motely collection of tanks is important, and I didn't want them to differ by visuals only. So I've given the tanks special abilities that hopefully give them different roles and allows players to use them all together. My discussions with DarkScythe produced the idea of giving the first instance of each tank a unique promotion - we both decided it would not make sense for all tanks built by Oarai to have abilites reflecting the teams, as they were individual characters. The unique first promotion gives Oarai's tank crews representation, while not limiting Oarai to eight tanks only (I want to encourage tank use, after all). I am aware that the abilities above will probably need tweaking as I test them out. :p

This makes their special UU the main gimmick of the Oarai civ, and so the UA is not too significant. The flanking bonuses should encourage using Oarai's units together and giving them the underdog advantage against larger foes, without necessarily negating the weaknesses of some of Oarai's various tanks. The initial Tourism penalty reflects Oarai at the start of Girls und Panzer - given a year to shut down because of not being interesting enough to keep open - but gaining the Tourism back through combat should encourage warfare without necessarily aiming for a domination victory.

Finally, the UB Automotive Club is another attempt at encouraging Tank use. The Research Lab is the main reason for people beelining the top techs in the tree and neglecting Combustion -> Combined Arms, so moving it hopefully encourages a different approach to the tech tree, while also providing a UB that fits with Oarai. The extra Oil should also mean that even if you're unlucky enough to have no natural Oil in your borders, you can still build a few tanks.
Spoiler Oarai's tanks in the game :
In the above order from left-to-right, top-to-bottom. Most of these are reskinned version's of Danrell's models. I had to make do with some that were close enough - the Ausf. D and Ausf. F2 use the models for the Ausf. A and Ausf. G respectively, while the M3 Lee uses the M3 Grant model. I deemed them acceptable for the time being. There was nothing in his packs I could use for the Type 89 and Porsche Tiger, however, so they were converted from World of Tanks (with skins by Nishizumi77_NA and jact2047 respectively). I'll be releasing the undecorated versions as models for anyone to use as well, since getting the default skins was simple after setting the models up in Blender.

I elected to use that model of Wario for the Treasure Hunter, too, even though it's a bit out of proportion. It looks good enough in the game, I think:
Spoiler :

Unfortunately I didn't have any luck on getting the Archaeologist pick-axe models to attack as well, so I might try rigging something to the Roman Legion skeleton, since they have a digging animation (for roads).
Apart from the Civilopedia texts and soundtrack, Wario is in a mostly complete state now, so I will be testing him out soon to see if his abilities work as they should.

I've never seen Girls und Panzer, so I can't really comment on how the design reflects the series, but that does look like a really interesting UU, and those icons look great!

That Wario mod...I like...

Do you have a release date in mind?

And you have a Mythbusters Civilization planned? That's...a really awesome idea.

Hi, I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas!

Now, unfortunately, Ryuujou's rocket glider got a bit lost enroute while delivering your present, and so it'll be Boxing Day for most of you (it's just gone over to the day after when I'm posting this), but here it is, pretty much ready to go: Wario and his WarioWare civilization!

WarioWare civilization, led by Wario
A civilization centered around the collection of :greatwork: Artifacts and Art from foreign civilizations to make large amounts of :c5gold: Gold.
Compatible with: Unique Cultural influence, Cultural Diversity, Piety and Sovreignty, Map Labels, Exploration Continued Expanded, Wish for the World, Mercenaries, Strange Religions, Cities in Development, Ethnic Units
Direct download | Steam Workshop

Now, I really wanted to get the release out for somewhere near Christmas Day, so I spent most of the time I had today working on finishing this, but unfortunately so I had to skip out on a few things - Wario has no unique diplomacy text to other leaders as of yet, and I haven't converted some of the other models I wanted to use as flavour units. However, he should work fine, and I'll work on those in the free week I have now - I've tested it with the AI in control, and I didn't seem to get any errors. I don't think any AI got to build a Microgame Producer yet, though, so that could break... I have also not had a chance to test if all the MCIS icons appear correctly for the player - there is one for the UA, UB, and UU (which can show for all civs). Please let me know if there are any issues with those!

An update to the common soundtrack, and Wario's own soundtrack will come really soon - in the next couple of days, hopefully. :)

Here's some screenshots too - not much you haven't seen yet, but I thought I might as well show them anyway:
Spoiler :

Wario has a large collection of city names that will be picked randomly depending on the terrain around the tile that you settle on.

For the moment, I'll have the other members for the unit use the Roman Legion model. Hopefully its digging animation works for archaeology.

Congrats on the release!

Regarding the combat buff from GPT not firing until the beginning of turn, perhaps you could tie the function to SerialEventCityInfoDirty in addition to PlayerDoTurn? I do this for anyone who has benefits from Great Works (Miku, Nanoha, Valentine, etc) and it works out alright as long as you make it only fire for the active player and only when the active player is the Civ in question.

Great, and I just started up a new game! :p

I've been looking forwards to Wario for a while, though, so glad to see him finally released! Congratulations! :D

Regarding the combat buff from GPT not firing until the beginning of turn, perhaps you could tie the function to SerialEventCityInfoDirty in addition to PlayerDoTurn? I do this for anyone who has benefits from Great Works (Miku, Nanoha, Valentine, etc) and it works out alright as long as you make it only fire for the active player and only when the active player is the Civ in question.

I am not familiar with SerialEventCityInfoDirty... does that fire if the player looks in the city screen and makes changes while in it? Would that still work if the player doesn't access the city screen before or after doing Great Work swapping (for example)? Also, it wouldn't cover other causes of GPT change that don't involve the city screen, such as trades from the diplomacy screen. (Granted, I already make it change when the Treasure Hunter successfully finds treasure, which for the player would be in the middle of the turn as well.)

Correct me if I'm wrong, of course, though. :p

Also, wouldn't SerialEventCityInfoDirty be troublesome in multiplayer? Since it's a UI event, it would be very easy to cause a desync...

I am not familiar with SerialEventCityInfoDirty... does that fire if the player looks in the city screen and makes changes while in it? Would that still work if the player doesn't access the city screen before or after doing Great Work swapping (for example)? Also, it wouldn't cover other causes of GPT change that don't involve the city screen, such as trades from the diplomacy screen. (Granted, I already make it change when the Treasure Hunter successfully finds treasure, which for the player would be in the middle of the turn as well.)

SerialEventGameDataDirty should catch everything else, but may be more processor intensive since it fires more often.

Also, wouldn't SerialEventCityInfoDirty be troublesome in multiplayer? Since it's a UI event, it would be very easy to cause a desync...

As I understand, this is one of the few events which fires for everyone even if the city in question isn't visible. If not, SerialEventGameDataDirty should. However, I haven't actually tested it in MP.

If it causes desyncs, you could always check for Game.IsNetworkMultiPlayer() to be false before adding functions to either of them.

Hi, I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas!

Now, unfortunately, Ryuujou's rocket glider got a bit lost enroute while delivering your present, and so it'll be Boxing Day for most of you (it's just gone over to the day after when I'm posting this), but here it is, pretty much ready to go: Wario and his WarioWare civilization!

WarioWare civilization, led by Wario
A civilization centered around the collection of :greatwork: Artifacts and Art from foreign civilizations to make large amounts of :c5gold: Gold.
Compatible with: Unique Cultural influence, Cultural Diversity, Piety and Sovreignty, Map Labels, Exploration Continued Expanded, Wish for the World, Mercenaries, Strange Religions, Cities in Development, Ethnic Units

Now, I really wanted to get the release out for somewhere near Christmas Day, so I spent most of the time I had today working on finishing this, but unfortunately so I had to skip out on a few things - Wario has no unique diplomacy text to other leaders as of yet, and I haven't converted some of the other models I wanted to use as flavour units. However, he should work fine, and I'll work on those in the free week I have now - I've tested it with the AI in control, and I didn't seem to get any errors. I don't think any AI got to build a Microgame Producer yet, though, so that could break... I have also not had a chance to test if all the MCIS icons appear correctly for the player - there is one for the UA, UB, and UU (which can show for all civs). Please let me know if there are any issues with those!

An update to the common soundtrack, and Wario's own soundtrack will come really soon - in the next couple of days, hopefully. :)

Here's some screenshots too - not much you haven't seen yet, but I thought I might as well show them anyway:
Spoiler :

Wario has a large collection of city names that will be picked randomly depending on the terrain around the tile that you settle on.

For the moment, I'll have the other members for the unit use the Roman Legion model. Hopefully its digging animation works for archaeology.

my i suggest that the wario civ goes into resistance when your treasure hunter is killed like the alexander unit in civ 4

my i suggest that the wario civ goes into resistance when your treasure hunter is killed like the alexander unit in civ 4

I'm not sure I like this idea too much, even though I understand where you're coming from as I do use Wario to represent the unit in both the icon and model.

Anyway, I will release an update for Bowser tomorrow with a few bugfixes, updates for mod compatibility, and some new lines in response to Wario.

Also, here's the link to Wario's soundtrack! There's a mix of music from Wario's games, as well as some Mario series side games that included music for him as well. I hope you're satisfied with what I chose; I know I found some tracks that I really liked myself while compiling it. The common soundtrack is updated too to work with Wario whether or not you have that additional soundtrack as well - since the only thing I changed was the code, download this and extract it into your MODS folder if you already have it, to save yourself downloading the whole thing again. :)

I will release an update for Bowser tomorrow

So much for that... :rolleyes:

Anyway, Bowser updated to Version 7.

Change summary:
  • Fixes to various Lua code
    • MCIS icon for UA should show correctly when under the maximum amount of foreign cities
    • City naming code seperated out to prevent it from affecting the more important functionality, and fixed up/improved
  • Updated mod support
    • Now supports JFD's Cities in Development, as well as JFD's upcoming Soverignty
  • Slight tweaks to some art
    • Uses more uncompressed DDS to avoid compression artifacts
    • Dawn of Man image updated slightly
    • Added Alpha Atlas for Ethiopia so that it appears correctly when using their alternate colours
  • Unique diplomacy
    • Added an option to disable the per-turn generation for female diplomacy greetings, if it causes turns to take too long for you
    • New responses for my Wario civilization
    • Additional civilizations added to the list of "villainous" civilizations
    • Added a host of new diplomacy lines for the new response types introduced in the Community Patch and Civ IV Diplomatic Features
Spoiler diplomacy for Planeptune mk2 :
Responses when playing as Nepgear modified - you will only get lines relating to the Gehaburn if you as the player obtain it (with Events & Decisions enabled)
NOTE: As I'm using JFD's MasterSupportFile.sql for my mod support, there may be some issues with mod compatibility when playing with mods that are not fully updated to match that file. There's nothing I can really do about that, so I apologise for the inconvenience.

Bit of an odd glitch I encountered with Wario: With JFD's America under Roosevelt active and him on the playing field, Wario could make New Deals. Awesome an advantage as that would be, I don't want to cheat that bad. :p

Top Bottom