Inuit Civilization

trystero49

Prince
Steam Workshop: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=105558749

Finally put it up on the CFC Downloads Database. http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=20603

Hi there. If you've been following this thread then you know there's some demand for an Inuit civ.

Leader: Apanuugpak.

UA: Arctic Hunters. Coastal cities built on or next to Snow get Seals, a unique luxury resource. +21% Combat Strength in Snow and Tundra.

UB: Inuksuk. Replaces monument. +2 Culture, gives Scouting I to all scouts trained in city, +1 Food on Deer and Whales.

UU: Qamutiq. Replaces Chariot Archer. Available at animal husbandry. Much more frail.

Ideally, would like a qamutiq skin for the chariot archer.

NOTE: There isn't a lot I can do about the Inuit starting in places other than tundra, unfortunately. It appears to be luck of the draw beyond setting START_REGION_PRIORITY to REGION_TUNDRA. I do not think REGION_SNOW is defined, or desirable.

Special thanks to Tomatekh, jpbar81, and Polar Bear.

What did you have in mind for the icon color? I was thinking a silver background with a light blue outline....perhaps a fish as the symbol?

Can't wait to see what it looks like! Keep up the hard work, and thanks.

To be honest, I'm not the biggest fan of the color scheme. I know it's the color of their coat of arms, but as a visualization on the map it doesn't really convey Inuit land to me (maybe because its very close to Egypt's color scheme which as desert is almost the exact opposite). The inverse I feel would work better, but as you said that's taken by Sweden. I think this is a case where you should use artistic license and skip the heraldic colors and use something more wintery / light (like a combination of ice-blue and white).

I think the inukshuk is the right and only real choice for the icon. I would choose a different depiction than the one on the coat of arms or edit out the black lines delineating the stones (as it makes it tri-color and seem in a different style than the official icons).

Hold on a bit, I'll make a mock-up button of what I had in mind.

Edit:

These are probably a little off, but, I don't know, I see an Inuit civ having a button something like this:

With this scheme, I would actually avoid darker shades of grey or brown for the symbol itself (i.e. making the inukshuk a more accurate earth/stone color) as dark colors tend to not mesh well with the ice-blue (and on the positive side, white references snow). The only problem, of course, is that 7 civs already use some shade of blue as their main color. You'd need to test how different ice-blue looked.

For the UU, I like the idea behind the Qamutiq but ice bridges don't seem to be something that spawns on a map very often.

I guess while I'm at it, here's a leader button:

I also did a symbol and corresponding strategic view symbol for the unit (a Siberian husky paw print).

I put all the assets into a zip folder. I also combined all your atlases into one (and a smaller one, so that your mod won't get a crazy big file size for using five 8x8 atlases). It's a simple matter to edit any of the stuff if you want.

~~~

The only art you're missing now is primarily a map (and maybe more official looking UU/UB buttons with the light ray glow thing). Unfortunately, I can't make a map for you. Although I feel I've gotten to a point where I could make one, it just takes me way too long and being already behind on my own civs and stuff in the real world; I just don't have the time to commit to making one for you, sorry. Once you have a map, however, I can really easily and quickly throw together a good quality DOM screen. There are about 3 other people on the forum who I know can make high quality maps (there's probably a few more). You can try asking one of them. UU and UB buttons are also not my forte; they always come out terrible.

These are probably a little off, but, I don't know, I see an Inuit civ having a button something like this:

Can you try this with a dark brown inuksuk and a cream background? That is the colour combination I think would work.

Also, nice job with the leader background. Trystero, can you add this to your mod. The aurora is what we wanted.

I did put in the leader background. I fired up the mod and tested it, and the leader background popped up when I talked to the Inuit. Why, have you found a problem? Is there a bug in it?

No problem with the leader background. One thing though, when loading into the game Apanuugpak is positioned behind the writing. It would be better if he stood next to the writing.

The colours are better than before, but now it looks like France. Try the dark brown inuksuk with a cream background.

The colours are better than before, but now it looks like France. Try the dark brown inuksuk with a cream background.

The colors seemed pretty distinct from France to me. I've played a game with both civs included and I had no problem telling them apart. There's also a good chance a cream background would look too close to Maya.

Is there some special significance to brown and cream for the Inuit? Otherwise, an ice-blue with white evokes winter/arctic lands more to me than cream with brown.

The colors seemed pretty distinct from France to me. I've played a game with both civs included and I had no problem telling them apart. There's also a good chance a cream background would look too close to Maya.

Is there some special significance to brown and cream for the Inuit? Otherwise, an ice-blue with white evokes winter/arctic lands more to me than cream with brown.

It would look less like the Maya than it does now with the French. Maya have green with their colour. I do like the ice blue, but I want to try a couple of things first before I settle, and I am not settled. One thing I would want to see is the inverted colours. Ice blue inuksuk and snow white background. I want to see a dark brown inuksuk with cream, but it would also be good to see the dark brown inuksuk with ice blue background. Another idea is a dark brown background with a white inuksuk.
The dark brown and cream colours suit the literal culture of the Inuit, looking at their buildings that are not made of ice, and their clothing, and their drums. Almost everything is dark brown and cream.

Hey, trystero49. I dig the design of this mod: the icy colors, the civ symbol, leader graphics, etc (very nice, Tomatekh).

Plus, the dogs and inuksuk looked like fun to try out. ;)

So, I hope you like these and that they complement the tastefulness of the rest of your mod.

Download at CFC

In the information on the qamutik you did not say that they were also commonly used in battles. People may think that they were only used for scouting or travelling.

You have a screenshot of an Inuit city that is next to a desert. This does not suit the mod.

Top Bottom