Inuit Civilization

This isn't really that big of a deal...

Just to point it out with that one.

I am more interested in seeing the introduction screen fixed. When the Inuit civilization is loading up, Apanuugpak is hiding behind the words. Not a big deal also. Annoying nonetheless.

An excellent mod though. I am proud of it.

In the information on the qamutik you did not say that they were also commonly used in battles. People may think that they were only used for scouting or travelling.

You have a screenshot of an Inuit city that is next to a desert. This does not suit the mod.

Good points. I'll try and upload a new version ASAP. Life is really busy now so even small changes like this might take a while.

Also, you posted about the DOM screen...I put that in as a placeholder, although admittedly, I could use a much better placeholder where he isn't behind the screen.

I could give the DOM and map images a try. I've never done either of them before, what are the requirements for them? Size and such...

Also, for the map, is the included one the most accurate? I've found a bunch online, and many of them don't display the entire Greenland as their territory. Also, Russia and Alaska both look like they were settled much less in this image.

One example:

I'd hate to spend time on the image and it turns out to be incorrect!

Any map will do since I probably won't use it for the actual image, just as a reference to work off of.

EDIT: Also, if you guys have any good inuit line art or images to incorporate into the map, I'd love to see them. Also, any kind of decorative tribal markings and such. I'm looking for things that have a tatoo-like, ornate quality.

Example (though, not even sure if this is accurate):

Here's an early preview of it, it still needs touch-ups and some more effects. I might change the colors somewhat. I also may differentiate the text colors more too and "grunge" them up a bit. Also, I think I have to rotate it and make it vertical instead -- doh! :lol: Not a big deal, it's all on layers and effects.

Please let me know of any corrections or additional labels to add to it and I'll try to. I copied the names from the mod's existing map and threw them in their general locations.

Also, if anybody knows of some nice art or objects to "tattoo" the map up with, show me them! I'll try to incorporate it in and/or I'll remove something that's already there.

I'm not that crazy about the kakivak spear, but I needed something to fill that space with and I didn't want to use any more animals -- perhaps a tent or igloo? canoe? OR, maybe that's where I'll place the historical data, like the Civ name, leader name, and time period. Again, if anybody could let me know what to put down, that would really help. I'm not very knowledgeable of this stuff - I'll just make the pretty pictures. :lol:

I'll wait for some feedback. Once this one is done, the Dawn of Man screen should be a snap and is only a matter of applying layer masks to blend the two.

Attachments

• inuit map preview.jpg
    inuit map preview.jpg
    352.2 KB · Views: 1,516
I could give the DOM and map images a try. I've never done either of them before, what are the requirements for them? Size and such...

Also, for the map, is the included one the most accurate? I've found a bunch online, and many of them don't display the entire Greenland as their territory. Also, Russia and Alaska both look like they were settled much less in this image.

The in-game map is 360x412 but it pays to initially make it larger and later re-size it so you can also use it to make the DOM screen. The DOM screen is 1024x768 and is relatively easy to put together once you have a decent map and decent leader screen to combine.

The map of the Inuit language families may be of help.

Edit: Nevermind, just saw the fantastic map you just posted! My only suggestion would be to remove the political boundary lines of Alaska/Canada/USA.

Good idea, guys. I'll hide the border lines. I suppose I should just label it North America then, right?

Pouakai, yeah, some maps show Greenland fully highlighted (like the mod's current one) and others show just some of the borders. It's easy enough to adjust and remove. I really like that map Tomatekh linked to, perhaps I'll work off that. Maybe I can use different shades of blue to differentiate the different family territories while still having it represent the Inuit people as a whole.

Oh, and thanks for the sizes, Tomatekh!

Amazing ideas!! The text idea is perfect! That's the sort of thing I was looking for but I was drawing blanks in my head. That'll definitely add some nice Inuit flair to it. Perhaps I'll even get rid of that tribal banner along the edge and make it lettering instead. The banner was just a random, decorative element I added to it - doesn't really fit in.

I didn't think of checking stamps either... got a really nice image of an Inuit man rowing in a canoe.

EDIT: Ooh, that's a good one too, Pouakai! It could also serve the purpose of introducing another color to the composition.

-I'm not sure how your layers are set up, but if it doesn't require re-working your entire image I would also add a slight drop-shadow between the base land and the water (less of a degree than what you used between the Inuit territory and base land). Most of the official maps have the base land slightly raised above the water.

-Another potential category to draw images from are traditional Inuit shaman masks. I was looking through these myself when I was trying to find a good symbol for Inuit religion in my Historical Religions mod (still looking for a good icon, in case anyone knows of one). This Sedna mask popped up a few times link, link.

-This might be useful as a reference:

http://www.taylorfischerillustrations.blogspot.com/search/label/Civilization V

It's the blog of the artist who made all the maps for Vanilla and has a few of the Vanilla maps in a larger file size if you want to look at them for reference.

I believe the font used in most of them was a form of Garamond.

beastysakura.deviantart.com/
Is the artist's deviantart page for anyone interested

I'm not sure who made the G&K maps. They have a slightly different look than the Vanilla maps (the G&K maps are usually busier than the Vanilla maps with more symbols everywhere and more font variety, whereas the Vanilla maps usually have a lot more empty space).

Okay, here's what I have so far:

EDIT: D'oh, I just realized I forgot to delete the Gulf of Alaska and Bay titles on the map. I'll fix it later.

Actual size:

Bigger:
Spoiler :

Attachments

• Inuit Map Preview 1.png
    Inuit Map Preview 1.png
    251.5 KB · Views: 1,423
  • Inuit Map Preview 1 big.jpg
    Inuit Map Preview 1 big.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 1,468
Wow - looks great! You don't think it'd be better having the continent up the right way though? Even the ones which have massive horizontal empires, like the Mongols or Russia have North at the top. That's just a minor thing though, wouldn't matter either way in the scheme of things

Honestly that's a fantastic job, well done. The mod can use it as is and it'd fit in perfectly with the official maps. I also actually really like the rotated perspective.

(Also do you mind sharing/linking the texture you used for the map creases/folds? I've been fixing up my old maps and it gets exhausting trying to find new paper textures to differentiate each map.)

Thanks, guys!

Pouakai: Yeah, I wanted it the normal way too. It makes it easier for others to relate to the map and things. But, when I was testing it out and fitting it into the final dimensions, it just didn't fit as well -- there was just too much North America in it. Plus, it was already hard trying to fit a decent-sized text in the tight territory areas. In the end, I just went with this one. I figured having the North Pole, Pacific, and Arctic labeled helps.

Tomatekh: Sure thing! I got them from this nice website here: http://ubersuper.com/. Attached are the textures/brushes.

Attachments

• ubersuper-folded-paper.zip
    5.8 MB · Views: 120
Okay, here's what I have so far:

EDIT: D'oh, I just realized I forgot to delete the Gulf of Alaska and Bay titles on the map. I'll fix it later.

Actual size:

Bigger:
Spoiler :

Wow, that map is amazing! I wish I could make maps and buttons like you do!

Top Bottom