Inuit Civilization

yup, this looks really well though of, and executed. What is the general status? is it up to date with the latest patch? i'm looking forward to the final version of this!

Thanks, turningmachine! It really isn't that difficult. The hardest part is probably just finding good images to use and deciding where to place them in the image. (And knowing when to back off and stop throwing things into it -- I think I'm on the border of that with the image above or maybe even took a step over it, lol.)

Maybe one of these days I'll write a little tutorial for those that are at least somewhat knowledgeable of Photoshop (because I rather not have to get into and explain every little detail). Maybe even others can teach "me" a few things too -- I'm just an amateur.

I'll post the file up too (if i can and it's not too big) so that others can "pick the bones" and grab styles that they need, check out settings, and/or see how things were done. I'll make sure I tidy the layers up a little bit before doing so.

Also, I've been a bit busy, but I've been working on an alternate version to the one posted above whenever I get a chance. This new one has the land masses oriented the traditional way. It was irking me a bit while working on the first one, and still is, but I was too reluctant to start over. But, after Pouakai pointed it out too, it made me want to give it another try. Though, by starting it over and not figuring things out and learning as I go along, I optimized a few things in the file and made it easier to use and better looking.

I also found an "epic" image to incorporate into this new map! ;)

Thanks, turningmachine! It really isn't that difficult. The hardest part is probably just finding good images to use and deciding where to place them in the image. (And knowing when to back off and stop throwing things into it -- I think I'm on the border of that with the image above or maybe even took a step over it, lol.)

Maybe one of these days I'll write a little tutorial for those that are at least somewhat knowledgeable of Photoshop (because I rather not have to get into and explain every little detail). Maybe even others can teach "me" a few things too -- I'm just an amateur.

I'll post the file up too (if i can and it's not too big) so that others can "pick the bones" and grab styles that they need, check out settings, and/or see how things were done. I'll make sure I tidy the layers up a little bit before doing so.

Also, I've been a bit busy, but I've been working on an alternate version to the one posted above whenever I get a chance. This new one has the land masses oriented the traditional way. It was irking me a bit while working on the first one, and still is, but I was too reluctant to start over. But, after Pouakai pointed it out too, it made me want to give it another try. Though, by starting it over and not figuring things out and learning as I go along, I optimized a few things in the file and made it easier to use and better looking.

I also found an "epic" image to incorporate into this new map! ;)

I'd really appreciate a tutorial about creating art/maps/buttons for Civ V mods, myself -- I've been starting to dabble with my own mods, and while I feel I'm getting a decent grasp of the coding side of it, I'm finding it extremely difficult to figure out how to get any icons into the game, and so far I haven't found any art tutorials anywhere.

As for the Inuit mod -- Steam's being irritating and not letting my download any new mods, so I grabbed the .zip file from the first post, although I don't believe it's the newest version (the map looks like one of the older versions, at least). Looking forwards to trying it out when I get the chance! :3

Okay, here's the final one.

Actual Size Preview:

Bigger Preview:
Spoiler :

Attachments

• Inuit Map Preview 2.png
    Inuit Map Preview 2.png
    257.1 KB · Views: 802
  • Inuit Map Preview 2 big.jpg
    Inuit Map Preview 2 big.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 804
Amazing! This map is incredible. Ready looks like an official one, but, isn't there too much North America or is this intended, so you can put some more figures?

Anyway, amazing work.

Thanks!

Also, if you go up a few posts earlier, you can see the other one I created that's rotated and zoomed-in more on the Inuit territory and the posts regarding it.

Initially, when I was planning out the overall layout, I made the other one because I felt there was too much North America once you fit the Inuit territory in. But then I still felt like it should be the other way, so I started from scratch again and did this one, but it was easier since I just copied colors, styles, and images from the other one. I also did some other things that improved the file and made it more efficient to work with over the other one since I knew what needed to be done.

I also wanted to show show that tip of Russia, so I overlaid a world map focused on the North Pole and warped it out so that Alaska, Greenland, etc lined-up underneath it. Then I just traced out the additional Russian land mass and marked where the North Pole would be. I was thinking of pushing the entire map lower and showing more of the arctic, but I was worried that I wouldn't be able display that much of Russia accurately (it's much easier to get away with and fudge that little piece of land instead) and I figured I could use the empty space below for some nice images. I found the image of the monument and it sealed the deal. Oh, another nice thing was I had more room to label the Atlantic Ocean too.

Attached are the two DDS files (Map and DOM) and the Photoshop file used to create the map. :)

Attachments

• dom apanuugpak.jpg
    dom apanuugpak.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 1,920
  • Inuit DDS Images.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 162
  • Inuit Civ Map PSD.zip
    2 MB · Views: 128
And if this is to be the new loading screen the words will not be in front of Apanuugpak anymore. This is better in more ways than one. It is good you have also included Russia as well.

Can we work on a scenario to go with this? The best scenario for the Inuit is when they encountered the Vikings. Two civilizations fighting for dominance and survival on Greenland.

Wow amazing job on the map - speechless looking at it!

How can I make this compatible with CivUp?

Delete "Lua" and "SQL" folders (or change their name). Then, in XML/Civilizations/Civ5Buildings_Inuit.xml delete both references to <PediaVisible> (i.e. delete lines 23 and 36).

That should do it. If it doesn't, let me know, I'll look into it in more depth.

It's looking really good! I noticed something thou, and I think it'd be only right if I inform you about it. Newfoundland was only visited by the Inuit seasonally, and to that, VERY rarely, and it was only the very northern tip. Infact, its only theory that they ever visited Newfoundland at all. Also, Labrador, the south of it was also seasonal, and only the coast, because the Naskapi Innu lived in the majority of Labrador, and were best left not intruded on. I noticed that as the thread went on, more and more of Newfoundland was colored in, which is highly inaccurate, the only Native Tribe (by name) we know of that inhabited Newfoundland before the Europeans arrived were the Beothuk (related to the Innu, Cree people). Probably gonna go unheard, no one ever gives a frig about Newfoundland in civ, its always just some lump a tundra with nothing on it, or given to the wrong nation, understandably, its not exactly the most populace place, voice isn't loud.

Just thought I'd toss it out there, the environment isn't suited for the Inuit lifestyle (Its actually warmer then Ontario in winter, sans the fog and storms the temperature is pretty mild year round), and the Beothuk were too territorial to share.

- Oh, and Merry Christmas ^^

Top Bottom