Typhlomence's Civilizations

"The Great Demon King", hmm? I think Suika's going to have something to say about that!

(It's particularly ironic because I'm just finishing up my updates to Suika, so she's due for playtesting... an excellent opportunity to try playing against Bowser! :D)

Speaking of Bowser... I've spent the whole of the day making sure that everything's prepared and working - I wouldn't be surprised if I did miss something, but I hope I haven't, because:

Don't worry too much about it -- you can always make some updates for bugs people find. (Pretty much any of the bigger name modders put out updates fairly regularly for found bugs after releasing a civ! :p)

I do welcome you to have a look at the code for the unique diplomacy responses (don't spoil who Bowser has unique responses for, though), since it's something I'd like to see in other mods as well. I'm sure someone could do a cleaner job at it anyway. :p

Really keen to see how it goes, as it'd be fun to start adding some into my own civs -- although, given how bad I am at diplomacy text as it is, I'm not sure it'll go too well. XD

Still, would be so amusing to have Suika and Shinki skeptical about Bowser's portrayal of himself as a demon. :p

I do welcome you to have a look at the code for the unique diplomacy responses (don't spoil who Bowser has unique responses for, though), since it's something I'd like to see in other mods as well. I'm sure someone could do a cleaner job at it anyway. :p

Finally got a look at the code, and it looks incredible! I assume you've tested it and it's working -- can't wait to see it in the game!

(Although given that my next game will be playtesting a civ Bowser doesn't have response text for, I may have to splice a little in just to see it in action. :p)

As if diplomacy text wasn't hard enough... now I'm going to have to start giving some thought to adding unique responses of my own! I suppose I'll just have to start small, going with obvious ones... like Shinki or Suika vs. Bowser. :D (Yumemi would also be a good testbed to try out, since she'd arguably have fun mad scientist responses for lots of people!)

BTW will you also be making a Mushroom Kingdom civ? The one that already exists feels pretty lackluster.

I'm not sure whether I want to completely redo it, but I definitely have plans for updating the art and text so it fits with the other SMB civilizations I'm doing (and in that case, with Nucleotyde's permission, of course). In any case I'll probably tackle this after I've done the new civilizations.

"The Great Demon King", hmm? I think Suika's going to have something to say about that!

I know you're not nitpicking, but I wasn't really sure what else to call the UA. I wanted to use something official and picked that (it's his full title in Japanese). I probably could try to think of something else but obviously it's not going to be a high priority.

Don't worry too much about it -- you can always make some updates for bugs people find. (Pretty much any of the bigger name modders put out updates fairly regularly for found bugs after releasing a civ! :p)

Yes I know, I probably shouldn't worry so much since deploying updates is quite easy.

Really keen to see how it goes, as it'd be fun to start adding some into my own civs -- although, given how bad I am at diplomacy text as it is, I'm not sure it'll go too well. XD

Honestly, I'm probably not that good either. It's just that Mainwaring and Bowser had plenty of quotes I could reference from so it was easier to capture their personality in the diplomacy text and sometimes just bring quotes in without changes (and I feel that some people would like to see me referencing some actual qutoes :) ). With Rosalina it's going to be harder since the only two games she has a proper role in are the two Galaxy games (I'm not counting 3D World, and the Mario Kart games aren't really helpful), hence there's much less to go on.

Finally got a look at the code, and it looks incredible! I assume you've tested it and it's working -- can't wait to see it in the game!

Thank you :). I haven't actually tested every response yet to see if they display correctly (and that would be difficult considering that I can't make a specific response show on demand), all I know for sure is that there's no Lua errors, and I used FireTuner to check if the lines/references were changed. I did see the ones that replace the first greeting, though, and they seemed to show correctly so I assume the rest will work fine.

Now that I'm back on my desktop, I'll run through a game with Bowser playing as Peach or something just to double-check. It's about time I actually played Civ V rather than just test mods in it, anyway! :p

As if diplomacy text wasn't hard enough... now I'm going to have to start giving some thought to adding unique responses of my own! I suppose I'll just have to start small, going with obvious ones... like Shinki or Suika vs. Bowser. :D (Yumemi would also be a good testbed to try out, since she'd arguably have fun mad scientist responses for lots of people!)

Suika counts as a demon, huh? Well, I suppose that's what oni are like... I'll bear that in mind (hint hint).

I'm not well-versed in Touhou, if I'm honest (I haven't played any of the games at all) but I look forward to seeing what you can come up with!

I know you're not nitpicking, but I wasn't really sure what else to call the UA. I wanted to use something official and picked that (it's his full title in Japanese). I probably could try to think of something else but obviously it's not going to be a high priority.

*laughs* I assure you, it was completely tongue-in-cheek. As you say, it is apparently his real title in Japanese. It was more that I could easily imagine Suika and Shinki smirking at the self-designated "Great Demon King". (Suika would probably want to challenge him to a fight just to see how great of a demon king he is!)

Suika counts as a demon, huh? Well, I suppose that's what oni are like... I'll bear that in mind (hint hint).

I'm not well-versed in Touhou, if I'm honest (I haven't played any of the games at all) but I look forward to seeing what you can come up with!

It's a bit hard to say exactly what would count as a "demon" in the Touhou canon, since the term in English is pretty vague in its meanings. The oni are somewhat similar to classic demons or devils, as they do reside in Hell and punish sinners/evil souls. Of course, some also reside outside of Hell and spend their time drinking, brawling, and kidnapping humans. So oni can sometimes be compared to demons, or sometimes be compared to ogres.

Within the Touhou fanon I suspect Shinki and her minions are more accurately called demons. The wiki, at least, describes demons as being creatures that originate from Makai, Shinki's dimension.

At the very least, though, I think I may need to put in references to someone comparing Bowser to Genjii... :p

So, now that Bowser has been released, what is planned for the future? Well, Rosalina and the Lumas are definitely going to be the next civilization I do, although work on that will start properly after I release the first version of the soundtrack for Bowser (which will later cover all of the Mario civilizations).

After Rosalina, I will do Daisy/Sarasaland and Wario/WarioWare Inc. later on, and perhaps some others (I've had a few suggestions in the comments thread of The Koopa Troop on Steam). Thankfully the Mario Wiki is an excellent resource so I'm happy to consider doing those I'm not familiar with myself, such as the Beanbean Kingdom (I know about the crazy exchange rate stuff for them, so I'm sure there's potential for some interesting uniques).

However, depending on how I feel I might have a look at doing some civilizations from other properties after completing Sarasaland. I have a few ideas in mind, but I also want to avoid doing a project too big at this point (there are some things I would like to make civilizations from that I feel would be best served by doing them all in one big pack, and I don't feel ready to commit to that just yet). And also, I want to do something for April Fools' as well. ;)

Oh yes, may as well say now that I'm posting that the first post of this thread has been updated with Bowser. :p

Just so you know, I have been working on collecting the tracks I want for the first version of the soundtrack (which will be for both Bowser and Nucleotyde's Peach). Although, looking at the spreadsheet I'm using to keep track of what tracks will be used for what, I might be getting too many... I suppose it doesn't help that I'm going to have a different set of songs for each civilization, and I'm picking songs from throughout Super Mario's history.

True, I don't think there's a technical limit as to how many songs are in a soundtrack in Civ V, but I don't think it's wise to have a huge soundtrack (in both number of songs and filesize) for only a few civilizations...

Just so you know, I have been working on collecting the tracks I want for the first version of the soundtrack (which will be for both Bowser and Nucleotyde's Peach). Although, looking at the spreadsheet I'm using to keep track of what tracks will be used for what, I might be getting too many... I suppose it doesn't help that I'm going to have a different set of songs for each civilization, and I'm picking songs from throughout Super Mario's history.

True, I don't think there's a technical limit as to how many songs are in a soundtrack in Civ V, but I don't think it's wise to have a huge soundtrack (in both number of songs and filesize) for only a few civilizations...

Since you're going to have a few Mario civs (as well as some of the existing ones), have you considered making a Cultural Diversity group for them? I'm not exactly sure how much work it'd be, but since it includes a unique soundtrack making a soundtrack could be the first step. Adding in the unique era splash screens could be amusing too, perhaps starting in the NES era and working their way up to the most modern incarnations. :p

I definitely could try that, especially as I was going to try to add support for Cultural Diversity anyway (partly because Piety and Prestige needs it). Although if I make a new group, I have no idea what sort of starting bonus the Mario civilizations should get. :p

Mainwaring and Bowser have both been updated. I've mainly added support for some other mods - thanks to JFD for letting me use his code for the mod support!

In addition to Ryoga's Unique Cultural Influence, Ethnic Units and KyteM's Dynamic Cultural Overview, Mainwaring now supports:

While Bowser, in addition to the original support he had for Ryoga's Unique Cultural Influence and JFD's Piety and Prestige, now also supports:

I've not actually tested Mainwaring's new mod support yet, and I've yet to try Bowser with Piety and Prestige, but it all should work. :)

As for the first version of the Super Mario Soundtrack, I'm planning to release that tomorrow night. I just have to finish up the description and create a Readme.txt for it (I know they're not vital, but I want to do that first anyway; With a huge mod file like that, I want to keep the number of times I update it to the absolute minimum :p).

And after releasing that, well, you should know already who's coming next... I still need to think up an interesting UA though.
Spoiler :
Wahahaha! Waluigi Time!

Spoiler :
No, Waluigi, not you!

Any chance for Events & Decisions support?

I hope to support Events and Decisions eventually, but I first have to learn how to add decisions and then think up some decisions that both suit the civilizations and are reasonable gameplay-wise.

---------------------------------------

Anyway, it's not exactly "tomorrow night" anymore, but here it is: the first version of the Super Mario Bros. Super Civilization Soundtrack.

At present it supports The Koopa Troop and Nucleotyde's Mushroom Kingdom. It doesn't affect save games so there should be no problems with adding it to (or removing it from) a running game. You should only activate this mod if you're playing as one of the SMB civilizations - the only exception is if you want Nucleotyde's Peach to have diplomacy music as an AI player, and you're not playing a SMB civilization yourself (Nucleotyde didn't include music for diplomacy).

While some of the 113 tracks are shared between both civilizations, a lot of the tracks will only play for one of them. I mean, it doesn't really make sense to play all of Bowser's music while playing as Peach, does it? :p

If you have Bowser and The Koopa Troop, can you please download the new version?

Direct download | Steam Workshop

It fixes a bit of a serious bug with the Bowser Airship - previously, when you researched Optics, the unit would start embarking on coasts even though it didn't do so previously, and would not disembark on land afterwards. Obviously this was not intended behaviour! This was because I forgot to remove the embarkation promotions from the Helicopter Unit Combat type. It's fixed now, and if you load this into an existing game it should automatically fix all Bowser Airships currently present on the map as well. Helicopter Gunship behaviour should be unchanged, too.

I will note, though, that with this update, this mod may have problems with mods that alter the behaviour of the Helicopter Gunship (and very probably any that add a new unit that uses the Helicopter Unit Combat type). I've accounted for Whoward's Units - Steampunk Airships and Helicopters Can Fly Over Water, but I can't guarantee that it will work with any others. However, if you find there's a conflict, let me know and I'll try to account for it.

So after Vice Virtuoso released his United States of Valentine civilization, I had a brain wave as to what I could do for Rosalina's UA. It might be a bit too complicated but I thought I'd throw it out there and see what you guys think.

If you've played Super Mario Galaxy, you'll know that Mario's task is to retrieve the Grand Stars that Bowser stole from Rosalina's Comet Observatory. The idea I had is based on that - if Rosalina and the Lumas are in a game, (at least) six Grand Star resources would appear randomly on the map. If a unit belonging to her enters a tile that has a Grand Star, they would remove it from the map and Rosalina would subsequently get an empire-wide bonus - the more Grand Stars are collected (up to six), the greater the bonuses she gets. However, if she loses her capital, the bonuses will be lost and the Grand Stars will again be dispersed in random locations on the map. (I'll represent these bonuses with the seven stages of the Beacon - starting at extinguished, red, yellow, green, greenish-blue, blue and turquoise.)

Grand Stars would act as a normal Bonus Resource otherwise, and can be used by other civilizations - while they would not affect the yields of the tile normally, they would provide a large bonus to production and science if a special improvement is constructed on the tile (Rosalina herself won't be able to build it). If this happens Rosalina won't be able to take the resource unless the improvement is pillaged or otherwise removed, although any other improvement will not stop it from being taken. Other civilizations using the Grand Stars in this way would also get a negative diplomacy modifier if Rosalina is being played by the AI, since Grand Stars are living things and count as her 'family' (speaking of the AI, I might need to make it easier for them to gather the Grand Stars since I don't think there's any way I can get them to actively do that).

Yeah... not sure if that's too complicated, but I wanted to try something a bit unique. :)

Hm, I wonder if it'd be a good idea to have them be useful for the AI, I'd rather have see them coded the way the extra wonders from LS's Aborginal civ is done, only being seen and used by you.

It may be more fluffy for other people to use them, however, as Bowser did steal them to use them for his own purposes. So it'd make sense if other people could use them in some way.

It does do an interesting job of hinting at the plot of Super Mario Galaxy (recover the Grand Stars for the Observatory) and wouldn't be too hard to code, I imagine. (Perhaps the trickiest part would be preventing Rosalina from building the improvement to exploit the Grand Stars resource, as you'd probably have to give the normal worker a build ability for the new improvement, and then give Rosalina a unique worker that lacks that.)

It's perhaps not quite enough of a UA on its own, but could definitely be a fun complement to another UA component. :3

Since Bowser did use the Grand Stars to power a galaxy generator, it would make sense to have their base tile yields be lots of production. And, if the bonuses were large enough, it would actually be a very fun and unique civ to play as, because of the more exploration-focused playstyle.

Hm, I wonder if it'd be a good idea to have them be useful for the AI, I'd rather have see them coded the way the extra wonders from LS's Aborginal civ is done, only being seen and used by you.
It may be more fluffy for other people to use them, however, as Bowser did steal them to use them for his own purposes. So it'd make sense if other people could use them in some way.

It does do an interesting job of hinting at the plot of Super Mario Galaxy (recover the Grand Stars for the Observatory)
Yes, it was a bit of a themetic thing. Also, since the intention was to give very powerful bonuses once you collected all of the Grand Stars, I thought it might be useful for other civilizations to be able to prevent Rosalina from getting them too easily.

Since it wouldn't be that difficult to get an Open Borders treaty with a civilization that doesn't hate your guts, there otherwise wouldn't be any difficulty for getting one inside someone else's borders; I could say that a foreign unit couldn't be on the tile the Grand Star is on, but:
  • if Rosalina is the player, I can't get the AI to park a unit on a Grand Star tile; and
  • if Rosalina is the AI, she won't deliberately seek out Grand Stars and so I'll need to tweak the rules for the AI a little, making the player parking a unit on the tile moot. Plus the player could just refuse to give her Open Borders.
I felt that using an improvement gives both players and the AI the ability to stop Rosalina from getting her hands on the Grand Stars, and then she'll have to wait for someone else to pillage the improvement or just declare war herself.

...Now that I think about it, though, perhaps instead I could give Rosalina a UI that she would need to build on the Grand Stars in order to "collect" them. True, that would mean that she couldn't just collect stars by traveling into foreign lands, but means that I don't have to make the AI do anything special to prevent access and also would give AI Rosalina the ability to seek them out (i.e. by sending a worker to improve them). Rosalina's UI wouldn't do anything by itself but would count as a "collected" Grand Star.
and wouldn't be too hard to code, I imagine.(Perhaps the trickiest part would be preventing Rosalina from building the improvement to exploit the Grand Stars resource, as you'd probably have to give the normal worker a build ability for the new improvement, and then give Rosalina a unique worker that lacks that.)
It's been done before, but I'll have to look at how Tomatekh did it (and he might have done it that way). Alternatively, I could forego a restriction but any of the improvement she builds produces lots of unhappiness.

But otherwise, technically I don't think it would be hard to implement. I feel presenting the information to the player nicely might be a bigger challenge. :p
It's perhaps not quite enough of a UA on its own, but could definitely be a fun complement to another UA component. :3
I agree, it wouldn't be the sole UA component. And that might mean I can tone down the benefit that Grand Stars give; they can turn Rosalina into a powerhouse but she's still viable (if a little underpowered) if you don't have any.
Since Bowser did use the Grand Stars to power a galaxy generator, it would make sense to have their base tile yields be lots of production. And, if the bonuses were large enough, it would actually be a very fun and unique civ to play as, because of the more exploration-focused playstyle.
And I was thinking that's where the Starshroom UU would come into play. Get to Navigation and you have a scout unit that can cover the whole map, making it easier to track down any Grand Stars you haven't found yet.

The improvement - I'd probably call it a "Grand Star Generator" - wouldn't be available immediately but would come soon after Navigation - that way there would be a brief period of time where Rosalina could nab the remaining stars before another civilization plops a Grand Star Generator on it.

(Also, I think bouncymischa's Spirit Cage would be a perfect GSG improvement graphic, with a retexture. :))

Unrelated to the current discussion on Rosalina, what franchises aside from Mario do you plan to make civs for?

There's actually plenty of franchises that I've considered. :mischief:

Here's what I definitely plan on doing sometime:
  • Girls und Panzer - each school from the anime would get their own civilization; that would be Ooarai, St. Gloriana, Saunders, Pravda, Kuromorimine and Anzio (although I'm considering having each team from Ooarai as a civilization as well). That won't be in the near future though since I'll be doing it all as one big pack.
  • MythBusters - led by both Adam Savage and Jamie Hyneman.
  • Long Live The Queen - the nation of Nova led by the game's protagonist, Elodie. I mean, it's basically Events and Decisions: The Game. :p (but first I have to learn how to implement E&D...)
Other series that I've considered so far, but won't promise anything for, are:
  • K-On! - I'm not sure if I'd do just the one After-School Tea Time civilization or individual ones for Yui, Ritsu, Mio, Tsumugi and Azusa.
  • Gurren Lagann - At least one led by Simon, maybe ones for Kamina, Yoko, Nia and Lordgenome as well.
  • Bravely Default - I haven't finished it yet but I definitely think that there could at least be a civilization led by Agnès Oblige. And of course the Knights of the Eternian Sky.
I did consider Ace Combat as well, but I'm not sure I would be able to get enough information on all the main nations to do so. I mean, as far as I know only Osea and Yuktobania have named leaders!

I'm not sure I'll be doing anything else Nintendo at present, either - I haven't played many Nintendo games that aren't from the Mario or Pokémon series, and while I can see that there's plenty of potential from other Nintendo series such as the Legend of Zelda, Fire Emblem, Kid Icarus and even Kirby (a Dreamland civilization led by King Dedede, anyone?) I don't think I'll be able to do them justice and so I won't be doing anything from those any time soon. Unless I decide to try a Skyworld civilization led by Palutena. ;)

That doesn't mean I wouldn't mind helping someone else do something from those, of course!

Top Bottom