Typhlomence's Civilizations

On the subject of the leader screen, I know Mario 64's Bowser theme is fairly iconic, but I still feel this might be a better fit for it

Darn, now I want to dig out my N64 and play through Paper Mario for the 4th or 5th time! That music would fit Bowser's leaderscreen pretty well, maybe as a war theme?

David, don't worry, I didn't miss it. I'm not entirely sure that World Bowser is what I would want to go with, since he doesn't generally build theme parks and stuff (isn't that more Eggman's shtick?). I will consider it, though. If you could link me to the source I can play around with it.

As for Paper Mario Angry Bowser, I do include it in the seperate soundtrack, and I like the track, but I don't think it fits for a peace theme. I have set it to play exclusively for times of war.
May I suggest making archers/composite bowman hammer/boomerang bros?
Well I wouldn't be able to change their weapons so I can't have them throwing hammers or boomerangs. I do like the idea of using their models when I get around to replacing the human units with Koopas, though, since it adds a bit of variety and makes more sense for foot soldiers.

Well I wouldn't be able to change their weapons so I can't have them throwing hammers or boomerangs. I do like the idea of using their models when I get around to replacing the human units with Koopas, though, since it adds a bit of variety and makes more sense for foot soldiers.

I'd think the axe throwers would be the closest option. I always had a tendency to mistake the hammers those guys threw for axes anyways...

David, don't worry, I didn't miss it. I'm not entirely sure that World Bowser is what I would want to go with, since he doesn't generally build theme parks and stuff (isn't that more Eggman's shtick?). I will consider it, though. If you could link me to the source I can play around with it.

Yeah, I definitely thought of that, but it's hard to find decent images of his castle that are distinctive and at an angle that makes sense for a leader screen. I'm fairly sure you have that source Bowser image already, it's pretty early on in the Google Images results, but here's the World Bowser picture I used:

Spoiler :

I might try looking for images of the castle again, we'll see.

How far along is the Rosalina mod?

And yeah, I like the idea of Hammer bro troops. In fact, I'd imagine most of his infantry would be "X-bros". (For example, Bazooka Bros, Paratrooper Bros, Machine Gun Bros, that sort of thing).

How far along is the Rosalina mod?

Umm... err... :mischief:

Oh hang on, what's that over there?

From left to right, top to bottom: Tank, Landship, Modern Armor, Rocket Artillery, Mechanized Infantry and Mobile SAM. RA and SAM are my own designs but are intended to fit with the SMB3 ones - I know the launchers don't exactly fit yet; I'll be re-skinning them tomorrow. Also, the Modern Armor is metal because that's modern, right ? (bouncymischa's idea :p)

...sorry, didn't mean to dodge your question, Protagonist, but I really haven't done work on Rosalina for a while. She's not quite sleeping under the tree on the hill just yet, though! Even though I haven't quite finalized what her special buildings and second normal unique are going to be, I at least intend to implement as much as the mechanics as I can as soon as possible, so then all I need to do afterwards is set the buildings etc. to have the correct abilities.

Since the first anniversary of my thread is coming up, though, I intend to release an update for both Mainwaring and Bowser before or on that time, as well as a redesign of the OP. I might put up some stuff on what I plan to do later, since if it's there where people can see, it'll be more motivation for me to actually get them done. :)

I may be able to get E&D support (as well as support for other mods such as Wish For The World) working for them both, as well as Rosalina, but... I'm not quite sure what would make good events and decisions for Bowser and Rosalina, and I'm not experienced in what would make them balanced/useful/interesting, either. Feel free to suggest some to me!

Events and Decisions can be a lot of fun. The Luna is actually fairly simple, once you've got the hang of it. I have more trouble coming up with ideas for them....

I'm tempted to suggest a Warp Pipe event/decision to allow him to connect two cities...

Looking forward to the Bowser update! :goodjob:

Events and Decisions can be a lot of fun. The Luna is actually fairly simple, once you've got the hang of it. I have more trouble coming up with ideas for them....

I'm tempted to make a joke here, but I won't. But I could.

I suggest using a launch star as her Unique Building. It could be either a military (launching stuff at the enemies) or an economic building (shooting crates of goods between cities).

There should be a decision involving whether or not to torch/imprison a diplomat indignantly making a request of you for Bowser.

I'm tempted to make a joke here, but I won't. But I could.

What's that supposed to mean? :p

In all honestly, I've found the Events and Decisions code fairly easy to work with on the modder's end -- the code itself is pretty user-friendly. Decisions are particularly simple, as they're pretty much "if/then" statements -- "If the player meets X conditions, give them Y reward". You can go for particularly complex rewards if you want, but many can just be done with some fairly simple lua. So for me, it's always the "what kind of event or decision could I actually have happen?" that's trickier than the actual lua code. :p

That said... I'm not quite familiar enough with Bowser to know what kind of plots he might cook up. I did come up with a "Build a Kart Racing Track" idea for a decision to help tutor Typhlomence on how I'd do it. It'd be amusing if you could use some variation on ViceVirtuoso's code for changing diplomacy screens so that Bowser's background would change to the racing track version David Xanatos suggested earlier after building it. X3

And yeah, I like the idea of Hammer bro troops. In fact, I'd imagine most of his infantry would be "X-bros". (For example, Bazooka Bros, Paratrooper Bros, Machine Gun Bros, that sort of thing).
While I do want to replace all the human units eventually, this definitely won't be hapenning for the next update. Because there's a hell of a lot of units that have a human somewhere:
Spoiler :
Civilian
  • Settler
  • Worker
  • Great Artist
  • Great Scientist
  • Great Merchant
  • Great Engineer
  • Great General
  • Great Prophet
  • Missionary
  • Inquisitor
  • Caravan (early eras only)
  • Great Writer
  • Great Musician
  • Archaeologist

Melee
  • Warrior
  • Scout
  • Spearman
  • Swordsman
  • Pikeman
  • Longswordsman

Gunpowder
  • Musketman
  • Rifleman
  • Infantry
  • Anti-Tank Gun
  • Anti-Aircraft Gun
  • Paratrooper
  • Great War Infantry
  • Marine
  • XCOM Squad

Ranged
  • Archer
  • Chariot Archer
  • Crossbowman
  • Composite Bowman
  • Gatling Gun
  • Machine Gun
  • Bazooka

Mounted
  • Horseman
  • Knight
  • Lancer
  • Cavalry

Siege
  • Catapult
  • Trebuchet
  • Cannon
  • Artillery
Hopefully I haven't forgotten anything. Each class of unit would get a different colour shell for variety and to make it easier to identify which units they are at a glance.

I also feel that each Great Person (with the exception of the Great Prophet) would appear as one of the Koopalings. So, Ludwig as a Great General, etc. Bowser Jr. of course would be the Great Artist, what with his paintbrush :p I was going to use Magikoopas for the religious units since they kinda look like they would work with those blue robes they wear.

I'll say now too that I might have to mess with their proportions to fit with the CiV unit skeletons, so you may get Koopas with long arms and legs. Unless someone wants to help me make new skeletons and animations... :mischief:
I'm tempted to suggest a Warp Pipe event/decision to allow him to connect two cities...
I think that sounds more like it should be an event/decision for Princess Peach. Not that I think the Koopas don't use warp pipes, of course, so it could work.
I suggest using a launch star as her Unique Building. It could be either a military (launching stuff at the enemies) or an economic building (shooting crates of goods between cities).
Funny you should mention that, I am seriously considering the Launch Star as her second normal unique. However I'm still debating on whether to make it a UB or an UI, and what it should do.
There should be a decision involving whether or not to torch/imprison a diplomat indignantly making a request of you for Bowser.
Hmm, more of an event thing I think, but it could work. Perhaps it could be a city state diplomat and the outcomes affect your influence (as well as something else)?
So for me, it's always the "what kind of event or decision could I actually have happen?" that's trickier than the actual lua code. :p

That said... I'm not quite familiar enough with Bowser to know what kind of plots he might cook up. I did come up with a "Build a Kart Racing Track" idea for a decision to help tutor Typhlomence on how I'd do it. It'd be amusing if you could use some variation on ViceVirtuoso's code for changing diplomacy screens so that Bowser's background would change to the racing track version David Xanatos suggested earlier after building it. X3
Of course it is. :p

I think you might have got the background stuff the wrong way around, though. I already use a Bowser's Castle track as a background, David Xanatos's suggestion used the Bowser World theme park. However, I don't have a current objection to the decision itself, just have to figure out what it might do.

Of course it is. :p

I think you might have got the background stuff the wrong way around, though. I already use a Bowser's Castle track as a background, David Xanatos's suggestion used the Bowser World theme park. However, I don't have a current objection to the decision itself, just have to figure out what it might do.

Well, I know we've talked a bit about how the code works. :p

As for the Kart Racing Track, my thought was that it would require a couple of Oil, but increase the production rate for Armor units in the city (like the Kremlin), as well as provide increased experience to Armor units trained there. :p

Walmington-on-Sea and the Koopa Troop updated. No E&D support yet, but I intend for the Lumas to release with support and then I can use my experience in implementing it there to add it to those other two.

Direct download | Steam Workshop
  • Added support for Sukritact's Modular City Info Stack, JFD's Exploration Continued Expanded, Vicevirtuoso's Wish for the World and YnAEMP v23
  • Now uses my UniqueDiplomacyUtils.lua and includes unique diplomacy responses
Spoiler Leaders that Mainwaring has unique responses to :
  • Adolf Hitler of Germany (JFD)
  • Various civilizations that have ruled the land of England:
    • Elizabeth (Firaxis)
    • Churchill (JFD)
    • Victoria (JFD)
    • Henry VIII (JFD)
    • William I of Normandy (JFD)
    • Alfred of the Anglo-Saxons (JFD)
    • Offa of Mercia (Greater Europe)
    • Elizabeth II (Firebug)
    • Oliver Cromwell (ryanjames)

Direct download | Steam Workshop
  • Boost from foreign cities capped at +50%
  • BowserConquerCheck bug fixed, where it would not work correctly if one Bowser captured another Bowser's city
  • Some new diplomacy responses added, and Bowser's responses about kidnapping female leaders will appear when playing as a non-female leader as well
  • Now uses my UniqueDiplomacyUtils.lua, and includes additional unique responses
  • Bullet Bill model changed to use an actual Bullet Bill model. Various unit art added for flavour, replacing Landship, Tank, Modern Armor, Mechanized Infantry, Mobile SAM, Rocket Artillery and Nuclear Missile
  • Inclusion of 18 music tracks in the base mod
  • Added support for Sukritact's Modular City Info Stack, JFD's Exploration Continued Expanded, Hazel's Map Labels and Vice Virtuoso's Wish for the World
While this version may work in saved games, I would recommend that you don't update until you finish any games you want to continue playing (or keep your old version). Until I update the OP the Super Soundtrack will not work with this as well.
Spoiler Included music tracks :
Peace:
  • SMB1 Overworld (Super Mario All-Stars)
  • Throwback Galaxy (Super Mario Galaxy 2)
  • World Bowser (Super Mario 3D World)
  • Bowser's Theme (Mario Party) - Peace Diplomacy
  • Bowser Station (Mario Party 9)
War:
  • Final Bowser Battle (Super Mario Sunshine)
  • Nemesis King Koopa (Super Mario Galaxy) - War Diplomacy
  • Bowser Battle (New Super Mario Bros. Wii)
  • Final Bowser Battle (Super Mario Galaxy 2)
  • Angry Bowser (Paper Mario)
  • Bowser's Castle (Mario Kart Wii)
  • The Evil King Bowser (Super Mario World) (Fortune Street)
Either:
  • Bowser's Theme (Super Mario 64)
  • Bowser's Road (Super Mario 64)
  • Airship Theme (New Super Mario Bros. Wii)
  • Castle Theme (New Super Mario Bros. Wii)
  • Bowser's Lava Lake Keep (Super Mario 3D World)
  • Bowser's Castle (Fortune Street)
Spoiler Leaders that Bowser has unique responses to :
  • Princess Peach and the Mushroom Kingdom (Nucleotyde)
  • Rosalina and the Lumas (Typhlomence - coming soon)
  • Vice Virtuoso's PMMM Rebellion Pack/Wish for the World
  • Funny Valentine (Vice Virtuoso)
  • Vert of Leanbox (Vice Virtuoso or Morgarane)
  • Blanc of Lowee (Vice Virtuoso)
  • Nepgear of Planeptune (Vice Virtuoso)
  • Statesman of Paragon City (Vice Virtuoso)
  • Metal Gear civilizations (Vice Virtuoso)
  • Cirno of the Fairy Alliance (Huitzil)
  • Eirin of Eientei (Huitzil)
  • Utsuho Reiuji of the Earth Spirits (Huitzil)
  • Holo of the Wisewolves (DarkScythe)
  • Shinki of the Demons of Makai (BouncyMischa)
  • Suika Ibuki of the Oni Clans (BouncyMischa)
  • Mamizou Futatsuiwa of the Tanuki (BouncyMischa)
  • Yumemi Okazaki of the Probability Space Hypervessel (BouncyMischa)
  • Louis XIV of France (JFD)
  • Also includes a series of responses for "villainous" civilizations
Will update the OP tomorrow, I want to fancy it up as I have several things planned which I can hopefully actually implement (famous last words :p).

Top Bottom