War Weariness

On war Weariness, it actually has an effect now.

Gigantic Map
Eternity speed
Civic - Government = Monarchy (Will try out Republic next)

I'm getting -2 :mad: in most cities, and -3:mad: in my larger ones.

I've fighting a early war with Light swords and Catapults. I virtually threw away about 5 or so swords, just to see what effect this would have.

My War Weariness went up from 1 to 2/3 so its an actual improvement.

The more developed cities range in size in the Mid to late Teens 14-19 pop.

Fighting 3 wars con currently, 1 is only a declared war, no enemy sighted, another is just defensive, the 3rd is offensive.

Looking to go into 2 offensive wars, with 2 Great Commander units, possibly opening up on the 3rd as well, once I produce more troops.

More feed back to come.

Difficulty level is Immortal, though AI auto play has set it to Deity now I think, its a loaded earlier save, so I can test out war Weariness, I'm tech leader, being at war with most of the continent, slows them down.

On war Weariness, it actually has an effect now.

Gigantic Map
Eternity speed
Civic - Government = Monarchy (Will try out Republic next)

I'm getting -2 :mad: in most cities, and -3:mad: in my larger ones.

I've fighting a early war with Light swords and Catapults. I virtually threw away about 5 or so swords, just to see what effect this would have.

My War Weariness went up from 1 to 2/3 so its an actual improvement.

The more developed cities range in size in the Mid to late Teens 14-19 pop.

Fighting 3 wars con currently, 1 is only a declared war, no enemy sighted, another is just defensive, the 3rd is offensive.

Looking to go into 2 offensive wars, with 2 Great Commander units, possibly opening up on the 3rd as well, once I produce more troops.

More feed back to come.

Sounds good, let me know! :)

Edit: By the way, what's your difficulty level?

More on the war Weariness.

1st Game settings

Spoiler :

Two shots of my cities.

My Original Capital, Ulundi

Spoiler :

and a Core city, Polynesian

Spoiler :

I've been at war with Russia and Korea for over 25 Turns, slowly destoying both Civs, and I've previously destroyed a Vassal of Korea, whom I was destroying before, but killed the Turks after the vassalization. Oh well, Korea declared before I could, no biggie, been expecting it ever since we last made peace.

Running a flat 20% culture again, will build Theatres now.

I don't think its too low, I'm fighting 2 offensive wars, both of which I'm winning and taking cities.

The 3rd war is a purely defensive one, and I'm killing all Sitting Bulls troops in my own territory. I haven't lost a unit against Sitting Bull, but the other 2 I have.

I've had to drop my science rate down to 5%, and I"m running a flat 20% Culture rate.

You have to remember, I have 5 Military units per city minimum, under Monarchy civic, for +1 each, remove 4 of them and its quite large.

Played further. Now

Spoiler :

and for Polynesian

Spoiler :

After Eliminating the Russian threat

Ulindi
Spoiler :

and Polynesian

Spoiler :

Seems to me to be workign fine now, it went up to +10:mad: with the protracted warring, but upon Elimination of the Russians Completely, and only having an explorer for the Koreans, I assume, its dropped right down to -2:mad:, which is only due to the protracted defensive war with Sitting Bull.

About to turn offensive, once I move my Army North, in 10 Turns.

More on war weariness.

30 AD I declare war on Stalin of Russia, by 202 AD, he's completely eliminated.

At war with the Turks from stating as Minors, 60 AD Turks are Completely eliminated, Korean Vassal.

26 AD Sejong, of Korea, declares war on me, taking the Turks as a Vassal, by 140 AD, the Koreans are reduced to an explorer some where? (Hidden in unexplored lands up north)

I've continually fought with Sitting Bull and Native America, but a purely defensive war in my lands. Now to go into offensive mode.

Been declared upon by Cesear once, burnt down a couple of cities, and made peace, once I'd established a buffer of vacant land, which still stands, soon to renew war with him.

From 136 AD, to 170 AD, at 2 years per turn, or 17 turns, my war weariness went from 3 to 10, an increase of 7 in 17 turns. Granted I lost some units in fighting, but I also took about 6-8 cities, burning most of them down as well.

It seems to me to be fine, given the level I'm playing at, but hard to judge from one game/posting. Other levels need to be tested, and evaluated.

I'll probably only start another war with Cesear, he declared the 1st time, this time it'll be me declaring, and I'll see how much it goes up, make peace with Sitting bull to fully gauge its affect. It a game I've already played to future era, just using for gauging effects at different era's.

Sorry to rehash this old thread, but I'm having a lot of War Weariness in my current game and I'm wondering if it is working as it is supposed to. I'm playing on the "Giant Earth Map No Preset Civs" map (Gigantic Size). In 1739AD, Qin Shi Huang declared war on me. I have never been at war with him this game. I have been at war with others though. But now, in 1763AD, just 12 turns later, I noticed that over half of my cities are unhappy. So I checked and I'm sitting at 1190 war weariness with him. In the last 12 turns, I killed about 15-20 units that were in my territory and about 20 of his ships that were in international waters. I lost about 10-15 ships in the process. I also launched a siege on one of his cities with about 15 cannons and 10 riflemen. In the siege, I lost about 5-7 cannons and a few riflemen but have not taken the city yet. That's all I've done!

I went back to the savegame right after he declared war and verified that the war weariness was 0 right after he declared.

I also wanted to check why it's going up so much. I have cannons and riflemen next to one of his cities so I attacked his city in his territory with one cannon. The single cannon was lost in the attack but in the process, my weariness went up from 1150 to 1190 with just that single attack. So the weariness increased by 40 points with just one single cannon attack. And I'm playing with stack sizes of 100 max so you can see how this is going to escalate very quickly. One of my cities is size 34 and it has 15 unhappy citizens due to war weariness. Keep in mind, this is in just 12 turns of a defensive war.

I was at war with another AI player about 20 or so turns ago and I did have a pretty high weariness with him but I assumed it was because I razed a bunch of his cities. No problem, I dealt with it and it didn't seem to get too far out of hand. But for some reason, this time it seems to be a lot worse.

Is this normal for war weariness to increase so quickly with someone you haven't been at war with before? Or are my people remembering my war with the other AI player? At this rate, I'm afraid that all of my cities will be nearly completely unhappy in no time at all and I'll be waiting the rest of the game for the weariness to settle back down to a reasonable level. This doesn't seem right to me. Difficulty is Monarch, speed is Normal. I only have one civic that affects War Weariness, Divine Cult (-25% War Unhappiness). My military civic is Standing Army. I also have Jails in most of my cities.

Iirc War weariness is increasing faster if you are losing and slower when winning.

You should also check his wonder: some are increasing ww of enemy (Statue of Zeus iirc. And his civic too: Pacifism's civic building does the same.

I thought pacifism worked for the civ running it. i.e. I run pacifism, and my people 100% more war weariness increase, not for the civ attacking me.

You can build a world wonder woman's suffrage which will REDUCE war weariness. Building the peace movement, seems to be a waste of time, 5% INCREASE in :mad: War for builder, and 5% increase in :mad: War for opponent?? seems to be neutral in effect.

Ok, thanks for the advice. Yes, he does have Statue of Zeus. It gives me +100% war weariness. So that helps to explain why it's going up so quickly. I'll just have to try to manage it the best I can until he accepts peace. Or even better, I'm going to go take that city from him. haha.

Thanks again.

I thought pacifism worked for the civ running it. i.e. I run pacifism, and my people 100% more war weariness increase, not for the civ attacking me.
It is. I was talking about its civic building: Peace Movement.
You can build a world wonder woman's suffrage which will REDUCE war weariness. Building the peace movement, seems to be a waste of time, 5% INCREASE in :mad: War for builder, and 5% increase in :mad: War for opponent?? seems to be neutral in effect.

Maybe it is... or maybe it isn't... never got that far into the game to try it since it was introduced, but I think it is a really good idea... Not for warmonger players, of course :mischief:

From my understanding, the idea of the Peace Movement building is that once they are built, they increase the cost of war for all civs, ideally encouraging all civs to avoid war.

Just had my first ever noticeable war weariness! Playing the largest map override size on Diety, using Pacifism, was in an extended war with Carthage across my continent and had to make peace because all my cities were close to total collapse from the unhappiness.

Top Bottom