Monthly Competitions Submissions Thread IV

Thanks, Blue. I've rewritten the rules for PCX's, not to change them, but to clarify them.. I hope this makes my intentions clearer:

PCX makers: The new PCX must be in the same scale as it is in the game file, as it looks after indexing, previewed against a basic background. The exceptions to this rule are for types of graphics that make no sense out-of-context, such as interface files, borders, roads & rail files, terrain sets, and the like, though we reserve the right to limit the size of previews. A smaller preview can be linked to a larger preview. .

Not clear what you mean by a "basic" background? A solid color? The magenta/green? You have an exception for terrain "sets". Would the tannenbaum forests qualify since there are multiple files - tundra, grassland & plains forest pcx used on the screenshots?

Not clear what you mean by a "basic" background? A solid color? The magenta/green?

Both. The second preview that you posted is a textbook example of a proper preview, but so is the preview that Kyriakos used in the post before that. You can change the mageneta/green to a more pleasant color for your preview if you'd like.

You have an exception for terrain "sets". Would the tannenbaum forests qualify since there are multiple files - tundra, grassland & plains forest pcx used on the screenshots?

To qualify as a 'set', the components of the set must be a part of the submission. In the case of your Tannenbaum trees, the original creation is the trees themselves, so the preview is properly of that file alone.

To qualify as a 'set', the components of the set must be a part of the submission. In the case of your Tannenbaum trees, the original creation is the trees themselves, so the preview is properly of that file alone.
Sorry to be obtuse. I'm still not quite understanding. AFAIK all the reworked terrains sets available are incomplete. They miss a few files - lm terrains for example. So at what point does a submission become a set?

The second preview is just part of the pcx files. The part shown is the tundra "pine forest" - the decorated trees. * didn't want the preview to be as large as a whole pcx. But the whole forest pcx includes plain tree tiles as well. There are 4 complete pcx files in the dl (forests for tundra, grassland, plains & landmark). For example, the "jungle" is redone as matching mixed forest on the grassland forests pcx. So would that constitute a set?

* I've attached the tundra pcx so you can see what I mean.

Attachments

• XmasTundraForests.pcx
    250.1 KB · Views: 268
I think that it is better to have the original files only, with the background, and not the in-game image [i think it is not quite an in-game image either (?)]. My understanding is that only a fraction of the work is original so it is not really true to reality to include all of the older files by other artists. It would be like myself making a group of resources and previewing them along with the tens of older resources not by me.

There's about a year and a half of work in this. The work involved an average of 5 layers for each individual tree at some point. Close to the end of the process there were approx. 200 layers in the GIMP working file. All the pcx files are newly constructed by me. Everyone is welcome to compare them to both Balthasar's & Womaks' files to see the difference. Since the forests are designed to be compatible with two different terrain sets (Ares' & Balthasar's) there's no way for a single in-game screenshot to show the range of what is done.

After that much work it is relatively simple to produce any kind of preview Balthasar wants. I could certainly have found out what Balthasar wants by PM rather than doing so in public where everyone can learn from the process. The main reason for the additional questions to Balthasar is to clarify the revised rule for everyone's future reference.

I think that these contests have shown that it is not a good field of minute examination of what the rules mean. Personally since i am posting a pic of the cities with a plain background, i think it is better that others do something similar.

..and all this conversation takes place while I'm catching up on my sleep. On one hand, Kyriakos is right: getting picky with rules is a losing proposition, and to be honest, I've been fighting picky rulemakers all my life, so I'm not about to become one now. On the other hand, Kyriakos' preview post is exactly what I had in mind, as a rule.

But your argument, Blue, that the interaction between the trees and terrain, in this case, critically affects the final appearance of the trees is compelling, so I will grant an exception in this case, and allow you to use a backing terrain in your preview on the condition that the preview should be in the same general format as your second (magneta backed) example, and that the backing terrain should be free of any other adornment or overlays. See? I'm reasonable.

I request now that we return this thread to competition entry posting. Please PM me with any further questions on this topic. Thanks.

But your argument, Blue, that the interaction between the trees and terrain, in this case, critically affects the final appearance of the trees is compelling, so I will grant an exception in this case, and allow you to use a backing terrain in your preview on the condition that the preview should be in the same general format as your second (magneta backed) example, and that the backing terrain should be free of any other adornment or overlays. See? I'm reasonable.

I request now that we return this thread to competition entry posting. Please PM me with any further questions on this topic. Thanks.
I want to do what is fair for all. I can achieve the same goal with a single color background that is close to white but a little blue. Rather than keep editing the post I'll make something & pm it to you to see if it matches what you have in mind. Once it is acceptable I'll change the preview.

Hey Balthasar, can you post BM's graphic first in the contest, since i altered my own after he posted his?

I am happy that you keep no log of the files before the contest is had, this way you allow the free space to change one's entry. I hope this will remain so :)

Hey Balthasar, can you post BM's graphic first in the contest, since i altered my own after he posted his?

Darn it! Now I'll have to roll a dice because you said that, just to stay impartial. Does it matter? And, I'd note: since his preview is indexed, and yours isn't, he's got a bit of an edge in the alterations department, don't you think?

I am happy that you keep no log of the files before the contest is had, this way you allow the free space to change one's entry. I hope this will remain so :)

Of course. No use filling threads with useless discussions.

Holiday is over, thank goodness. I've posted the new PCX Poll and Unit Poll for December.

Shirokibbure wins the Leaderhead contest by default and will be entered into the Leaderhead of the Year Contest, which, along with the PCX of the Year Contest and Unit of the Year Contest, will be held a week after the current polls close, at the end of the month. A week after that, I'll post a Mod of the Year Contest, so everyone should start playing 2012's new mods and scenarios now (if you haven't already)!

Congratulations Shirokibbure!

Top Bottom