PCX Previews in Windows Explorer

Quintillus

Archiving Civ3 Content
Supporter
After several years of wondering if it was possible to get PCX files to preview in Windows Explorer, and eventually switching from GIMP to Paint.NET for opening PCXs since the latter was faster, I finally found a program to display PCXs (and lots of other images) in Explorer today. That program is SageThumbs. It uses XnView's image-viewing capabilities to add support for those same images to Explorer. What you get in the end is something like this:

As you may notice, it previews not only PCX, but also FLC, and a number of other files. Currently, I have my Explorer window set to Thumbnail mode for the largest previews, but you get increasingly small previews for files - though not folders - all the way down to Details view.

I figured I probably wasn't the only person at CFC who's been wishing there was a good way to quickly and conveniently view many PCXs.

The only downside is if you open a folder with a lot of PCX or FLC files, it can take a second or two to generate previews. But it's still a lot quicker than opening them all in another program, so IMO it's worth the tradeoff.

Glad it's useful for more people than just me! And thanks for the additional recommendation, Ares de Borg. It's funny, I've been pondering the existence of such a program for years and now know of two within a week.

Top Bottom