After years of playing, what new things have you found in Civ 4?

I just realized that Gunpowder Units cannot be promoted with Shock. Does that mean Praets can still be useful vs early Renaissance AI without mounted units? Also, will this change your view on Janissaries?

I'm fairly certain most long time players know that gunpowder can't get shock promotion. I don't think this changes the situation for Jannisarries since they could never get shock anyway. They have innate 25% vs melee units so shock is kinda built into them. A combat promo or two and they are great stack defenders and even city raiders if you rush gunpowder and give cover promotion.

Yeah, you really need that cover for them, since you can't get city raider. If they could get city raider, I think they'd get more love. That said, if you treb the crap out of everything, you don't really need city raider anyway.

I'm fairly certain most long time players know that gunpowder can't get shock promotion. I don't think this changes the situation for Jannisarries since they could never get shock anyway. They have innate 25% vs melee units so shock is kinda built into them. A combat promo or two and they are great stack defenders and even city raiders if you rush gunpowder and give cover promotion.

The funny thing that happened to me recently was that I got a bunch of obsolete axes and maces; most of them open for 1-2 promotions. Once rifling hits, I just went trigger happy and upgraded everyone. Too late when I realized that I missed the chance for them to get CR1/CR2. Along the way, noticed that the eligibility for shock promotion was also gone!

So I guess I am one of the "few" long time players who forgotten that gunpowder units cannot be promoted with Shock :lol:

I brainfart all the time. Probably why I still haven't won on immortal. My last try as Julius I forgot I had a sleeping GS to bulb Ed and lost Lib race. Derp! Lol

Just encountered random event #154, civ game. I couldn't stop laughing, nice to see the game designers have a sense of humor.

Bump!

I found this out a while ago: it is possible to have negative gold, contrary to popular belief. My units didn't even enter strike. :)

Does anyone know (or can anyone guess) how?

The first person who gets it will receive a thumbsup. (Woooo, big prizes).

In anarchy and paying gpt for resources?

Just encountered random event #154, civ game. I couldn't stop laughing, nice to see the game designers have a sense of humor.

I think this event is not realistic. Introduction of the Civ Game should have a negative effect on productivity.

I just discovered that you can build a spaceship part in a city and an enemy spy can destroy it in a different city.

(= ragequit, BTW)

Anyone know a way to guard against this, besides building a Security Bureau in every single city?

I just discovered that you can build a spaceship part in a city and an enemy spy can destroy it in a different city.

(= ragequit, BTW)

Anyone know a way to guard against this, besides building a Security Bureau in every single city?

Micro your cities, so that every part gets build on the same turn, or in between a few turns. Never had the problem with Spies, because the Spaceraces I play are with 16+ cities all having Mining Inc., so I can build all parts simultaniously.

Wow, that's a great idea! I suppose you could even pull it off with fewer cities if you just work each part to within one turn of finishing, then, when you have all the required techs in place, crank them out.

Was that a multiplayer game? I've never had AI sabotage a spaceship part on me to this point. Maybe it's because I'm not on deity yet?

The AI will sabotage your parts if it can, so it's nice to have at least a couple of cities with very high production to pick up the slacks.

@ Blitz. That emphasis was with the crazy city set-up I gave too!.....not just the map. Immortal is most definitely 100% winnable anytime though. And this isn't meant to be a comment like "I am god, hear me roar" either. Simple truth of it is, the Human player has such a huge advantage of Immortal AIs that they don't really stand a chance.

The same can probably "almost" be said for some of the very good Deity players out there like Doshin and Sera, which imo are easily the 2 best players on the forums.

Wow, that's a great idea! I suppose you could even pull it off with fewer cities if you just work each part to within one turn of finishing, then, when you have all the required techs in place, crank them out.

I have done this both ways when playing against an AI that just loved to destroy spaceship parts.

Also, you don't need to build a Security Bureau in each city unless you want the added espionage points that they provide. Putting a sleeping spy in each city works equal to building a Security Bureau, as far as preventing spy missions in that city. Sending a spy to perform Counterespionage missions also helps since it makes destroying the parts more expensive in EPs to the AI, thus making it take more turns to build up enough points to do so. However, both of these approaches only make it less likely… they can still succeed in destroying parts.

Bump!

I found this out a while ago: it is possible to have negative gold, contrary to popular belief. My units didn't even enter strike. :)

Does anyone know (or can anyone guess) how?

The first person who gets it will receive a thumbsup. (Woooo, big prizes).

In anarchy and paying gpt for resources?
Spoiler :
:thumbsdown:

Sorry! I double checked to make sure, and the game just puts you in strike @0G while in anarchy.

Privateers plundering your cities.
Spoiler :
:goodjob:

Only ever happened to me once, during a Space Race.

@ Blitz. That emphasis was with the crazy city set-up I gave too!.....not just the map. Immortal is most definitely 100% winnable anytime though. And this isn't meant to be a comment like "I am god, hear me roar" either. Simple truth of it is, the Human player has such a huge advantage of Immortal AIs that they don't really stand a chance.

The same can probably "almost" be said for some of the very good Deity players out there like Doshin and Sera, which imo are easily the 2 best players on the forums.

There are some isolated starts I've gotten on Immortal that might not be winnable on the first go round (second time you know the whole map and probably could tailor playstyle to it). But I get what you mean.

Top Bottom