Destroyers Without Astronomy

covok48

Emperor
So my destroyers were snacking on some Mongol Ironclads, caravels, and galleys. Mongols hadn't researched Astronomy yet so I was confident I could press this advantage.

Next turn I see dozens Mongol transports and destroyers next to me. I check and they STILL haven't researched astronomy.

There is no tech trading or brokering, no other civ is advanced enough to gift them these units.

What am I seeing?

Looking up tech tree destroyers and transports don't have astronomy as a pre-req (unlike frigates and galleons). You'd need scimeth for oil but otherwise steel and steam.

Could be exploitable if you want a late naval war and want to keep Colossus.

There are a lot of stuff like this, for example, building ICBMs without computers.

So my destroyers were snacking on some Mongol Ironclads, caravels, and galleys. Mongols hadn't researched Astronomy yet so I was confident I could press this advantage.

Next turn I see dozens Mongol transports and destroyers next to me. I check and they STILL haven't researched astronomy.

There is no tech trading or brokering, no other civ is advanced enough to gift them these units.

What am I seeing?

Destroyers require combustion (prereq tech) and sci meth (to see oil) at minimum. Transports same. Sci meth CAN use astronomy, but is not required (astro or chemistry). Combustion requires chemistry, but not astro (not the immediate prequisite, but a bit farther back). As such, destroyers do not need astronomy. This can be useful on games where navies aren't super important but can be useful-ish, and you want to hold on to the colossus for as long as possible.

Looking up tech tree destroyers and transports don't have astronomy as a pre-req (unlike frigates and galleons). You'd need scimeth for oil but otherwise steel and steam.

Could be exploitable if you want a late naval war and want to keep Colossus.

Destroyers require combustion (prereq tech) and sci meth (to see oil) at minimum. Transports same. Sci meth CAN use astronomy, but is not required (astro or chemistry). Combustion requires chemistry, but not astro (not the immediate prequisite, but a bit farther back). As such, destroyers do not need astronomy. This can be useful on games where navies aren't super important but can be useful-ish, and you want to hold on to the colossus for as long as possible.

I think I am beginning to understand the tagline under your user name.

I think you dont even have to tech SciMeth in order to build destroyers, just to get someone give you oil?

You don't even need oil. Modern era naval vessels require oil or uranium. Get physics and combustion and you should be good to go.

Physics requires Astronomy...

Top Bottom