[Religion and Revolution]: Mod Development

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Marla Singer
I haven't played civ3 for about 10 years but I think that it was your (wasn't it?) world map that I played the most. My late thanks for it!
Yes it was, thanks. I always liked accurate maps. Thank you to remind me those good old memories. :)

Actually doing maps is really fun because, at least to me, it's before everything a learning process. A map is an incredibly rich set of data. Learning about the American natives, their location and their History, learning about dozens of commodities, agricultural crops, natural ressources and history of their trade by the colonial powers, learning about climates, rivers, mountain ranges and valleys from all countries at a very detailed level, learning how colonies developped and what happened to the various first nations.

Thanks to Schmiddie and Ray and all their crazy features I didn't pay attention of in the first place, I really feel I've learnt lots of fascinating stuff. And even if no one ever play the game in French, translating that excessively big colopedia served at least that (very selfish) purpose. ;)

Is there any way of awarding the other colonial powers a Ship of The Line and Hessians at the same time as I receive them?

It always become very ubalanced once this event triggers.
(Have started to decline it once it happens to keep some balance)

Just wondering... :)

Of course there is, if you change the programming of the DLL-Diplo-Event in the DLL.

Since there currently is no development in this project you will either have to implement it yourself or convince one of the modmodders to do it for you in his modmod.
(I don't believe that the core team members will pick up development of this project again in the near future.)

I don't believe that the core team members will pick up development of this project again in the near future

How many times have I read this (or something very similar) throughout all of these threads ;)

But this time its different. All core members have stopped working on this project.

Formerly at least 2 or more members were still modding....so I don't believe as well, that we will pick up this project again in the near future.

Hi Folks,

ray and me have decided to release a further version 2.3.

This Version will only contain bugfixes and maybe some very small improvements from mod mods.

Please note that the work on this release presumably will proceed very slowly since ray and me both have a very busy real life jobs.

The Version will not contain any bigger features or great improvements.

Please feel free to post bugs you have notices so far (in the bug report thread) or make suggestions what small improvements should be implemented.

Please note that we will not change things like the 2-city-plot range or other current gameplay features.

Kind regards

Schmiddie

Hi everybody,

I completely agree with the things Schmiddie wrote. :thumbsup:

My personal intention for Release 2.3 is to further stabilize and improve the mod.
(By implementing bugfixes and adding some selected improvments from modmods and maybe implementing a few other improvments.)

I currently have absolutely no intention to completely change existing implementations or to add new big features.
(I simply don't have enough time and motivation for something like that at the moment.)

We will again focus on quality:

- We will discuss and decide changes properly (there is no "everybody throws in SVN whatever he wants")
- We will do proper quality control (double checking new implementations on file / code level)
- We will do proper internal testing before release (at least 2 weeks of internal testing phase)

I am sorry to disappoint anybody hoping for a continuation of bigscale development of this mod, but I cannot offer more.

Edit:
And of course, I do hope for support from our partners and friends again.
Thanks again for all your great work in the past. :goodjob:

Hi guys,

Sorry, but since I had not been involved in Release 2.2 that much and haven't been playing RaR since Release 2.1, I need to get an overview again.

So please let us proceed this way:
(Step by step :) )

Phase 1: Bugfixing

1. Listing current bugs / issues that need to be taken care of
2. Taking care of those bugs / issues

Phase 2: Adapting Improvments and Additions from modmods

3. Listing improvments / additions from modmods that should be considered to become part of the main mod (in Release 2.3)
4. Discussion and decision about the listed improvments / additions (considering Release 2.3)
5. Adaptation of the improvments / additions decided to become part of the main mod (in Release 2.3)

Phase 3: Implementing Further (small) Improvments and Additions

6. Listing further improvments / additions that should be implemented (and can be implemented in Release 2.3 with reasonable effort and risk)
7. Discussion and decision about the listed improvments / additions (considering Release 2.3)
8. Implementation of the improvments / additions decided to become part of the main mod (in Release 2.3)

Phase 4: Final Testing and Release

9. At least two weeks of internal testing
10. Publishing of Release 2.3

--------------

Please have some patience with us. :)
Give us some chance to handle things in an ordered way to create a Release 2.3 that again stands for quality (meaning stability and fun). :thumbsup:

1. Listing current bugs / issues that need to be taken care of
2. Taking care of those bugs / issues
I haven't paid as much attention to modding in the past months as I would like and have completely lost track of known unfixed bugs (haven't even played 2.2 :sad:). I don't mind joining in on #2, but it mean that somebody else has to do a good job at #1 or I will not know what to do.

I'm not sure if adding new features is wise at this point. I see 2.3 as the final release and looking at how 2.2 broke just because a new native tribe was added, even minor changes can cause unwanted sideeffects. I have a bunch of wishes for new features, but I don't dare to add them to R&R this late. That's one of the reasons why I'm interested in RaRE.

I haven't paid as much attention to modding in the past months as I would like and have completely lost track of known unfixed bugs (haven't even played 2.2 :sad:). I don't mind joining in on #2, but it mean that somebody else has to do a good job at #1 or I will not know what to do.

Pretty much the same for me. :)
But I am confident that we will get that handled.

I'm not sure if adding new features is wise at this point.

We are not going to add anything critical or risky in Release 2.3.

Our priority is fixing of bugs and issues.
Other than that we will adapt some selected improvments from modmods and maybe implement one or two other small improvments.

But that is already it.

looking at how 2.2 broke just because a new native tribe was added, even minor changes can cause unwanted sideeffects.

Well yes, bugs and sideeffects like that can always happen.
But we will try to be careful.

Also, we are planning to do proper quality control and internal testing before release.

I have a bunch of wishes for new features, but I don't dare to add them to R&R this late. That's one of the reasons why I'm interested in RaRE.

Implementation of (big and complex) new features should indeed be done in modmods (after Release 2.3). :thumbsup:

Alright Ray, I will update the French translation for version 2.3. I'll try to commit that soon. :)

As for the bugs:
The AI doesn't manage health, which gives a considerable advantage to the human player, but in the meantime, the AI doesn't manage manufactured goods production as a start, so does it really worth it to help it cure its health issue? It was probably not Ray's intent to open up the AI debate here so I close it.

When one of your cities is captured, a window pops up saying "you'll abandon the colony". That's relatively minor I agree, but it's weird.

Talking about this, I have actually no clue how to destroy our own colonies. This could be useful when you capture a city located in an area that it is unwothy to develop. Reducing the population to "0" doesn't destroy it. That window saying "you'll abandon the colony" will pop up but it would be great if it would give the choice to either keep it at "0" or destroy it. Both decisions could be useful depending on the case.

Alright Ray, I will update the French translation for version 2.3. I'll try to commit that soon. :)

Ok, great. :thumbsup:

The AI doesn't manage health ...

Because it does not need to.
(AI is not affected by negative impacts of low Health.)

For AI, Health is just as important as Education or Culture for example. Meaning quite low priority but it might occassionaly produce a bit of it.
(Other Yields especially Yields that can be sold or are strategic are way more important to AI.)

That is no bug though. :)

AI generally does not manage production of Yields as well as human players can do.
So it is absolutely necessary to give AI clear and easy rules on which Yields it should focus.
(And almost everything is more important for AI than trying to manage a small but still complex feature like Health.)

But your right, complex and risky messing with AI will not be part of Release 2.3.

When one of your cities is captured, a window pops up saying "you'll abandon the colony". That's relatively minor I agree, but it's weird.

Thanks for reporting.
I will look into it. :thumbsup:

Edit:
Should be easy to fix.
(Just some check to send the message only to the "active" player)

I have actually no clue how to destroy our own colonies.
Reducing the population to "0" doesn't destroy it. That window saying "you'll abandon the colony" will pop up.

The next turn (simply end the turn), the city with population "0" will be destroyed.
If you put back a colonist within the same turn, it will not be destroyed.
(You may change your mind within the same turn.)

Actually pretty simple. :)

The next turn, the city with population "0" will be destroyed.
If you put back a colonist within the same turn, it will not be destroyed.
(You may change your mind within the same turn.)

Actually pretty simple. :)
Alright then very good!

As I'll work on the text files, maybe I could add an extra sentence saying so. I haven't the text in mind but something like "You'll abandon the colony. If it's not populated before next turn, it will be destroyed". That's really easy and could be a useful hint for the player. When it happened to me, I actually used the worldbuilder to destroy it from there.

When it happened to me, I actually used the worldbuilder to destroy it from there.

Or you could have read Colopedia (Game Concepts). :)
Within the entry "Settlements" it is explained perfectly how "Abandoning Cities" works.
(There used to be a separate entry for that, but agnat86 had rearranged, rewritten and merged many entries.)

I really don't like to try to explain game concepts in long Pop-Up-Texts.
(It is absolutely ugly and unatmospheric to me.)

And seriously, the feature is damn simple to use.

Hi all. After a PM I received from Schmiddie, it seems there is some interest in merging the "Super forts" mod that I had privately done for my "Taxes and Navigation" mod into the main R&R mod itself.

So, I just want to clarify the functionalities that we will get after doing this in this post. The merged "Super fort" is taking the features from a BTS mod here and then porting it into the CivCol world. Check out the link for all the details.

It isn't a direct merge, since there were various adaptations (as well as more stringent null checks etc. that I had to add to make this stable), but the base code is entirely the work of Red Key.

I have included the features of Ray's existing code for our forts (for eg. how it distracts natives, etc.) and combined them with the "super forts" features. We will still see the "Fort" and "Large fort" improvements that we are familiar with. However, since our new upgraded "Fort" is fancier (such as giving cultural boosts, improved vision) I have hiked the price from 100 to 500. This might seem high, but I believe it is a fair representation and a good compromise from the existing super forts code which seemed to "consume" the pioneer similar to a settlement.

The "Super forts" code also comes with some AI handling for "choke-points" and "canals", and I've tried to retain almost all of the code as is, except for removing some minor optimizations that were BTS-related.

If you guys are stoked about it, let me know and I could plan on merging this with R&R. However, it will be a time consuming task for me since I will have to remove all my other mod related changes (that aren't in R&R) while doing these checkins.

EDIT 1:
Summary:
  • Forts cost 500 gold.
  • Defense is rated at R&R stats - 100% and 120% for forts and large forts.
  • Forts don't kill the pioneer who built them
  • Forts spawn 2 culture per turn to whoever controls them
  • Forts can and should be used as canals and in choke points.
  • Forts can be bombarded and auto-heal over time
  • Forts boost vision for garrisoning units

@Schmiddie:

These remaining changes of vetiarvind's modmod here could become part of the main mod as well from my point.

The implementations have already been done and they sound like good improvments.
(And of course I will try to check and if necessary improve the code and help with testing.)

What do you think ?
(If you want to, we could also have a short call.)

@vetiarvind:

I will wait for Schmiddie's decision on that before starting to work on the fixes I have planned.
I would like you to first finish all your changes without my interference and vice versa.

If Schmiddie likes your addition and thus gives a go as well, please commit them to SVN. (as described in your post)
Then after you are done, please give me a signal so I can start working on the fixes (and adjustments) I have planned.

Please do not commit these changes before Schmiddie also gives his ok.

Hi Folks,

I like these improvements as well. Vetiarvind, please feel free to commit them to the SVN.

Thanks for waiting for my opinion on that Features.

I like the idea of "super Forts". However, I would call them "Major Forts" (just a minor aspect). I agree with ray, that no unarmed unit should be able to guard an active Fort.

Thanks for your support vetiarvind.

Regards

Schmiddie

Almost all known bugs have been take care of again. :)

It is great to see, that there are still a few people that care for this mod.
Thanks once more. :thumbsup:

I would suggest to proceed the following way:

1. vetiarvind will merge the changes of his modmod (mentioned here) to SVN of the main mod.
2. We will do some quality assurance on code level.
3. We will start our testing phase and try to fix all remaining issue we find in our tests. (approx. 2 weeks)
4. We publish Release 2.3.

-----------

Originally I was considering to merge some more improvments from other modmods (e.g. agnat's modmod) to the main mod.
But except further bugfixes and corrections (e.g. texts) I really don't want to add any other new stuff for Release 2.3 then.

Reason:
My vacation will soon end again and I think it is better to focus on quality than to add more new stuff.
(Maybe we will find some issues in our tests and taking care of those will also require some time.)

I like the idea of "super Forts". However, I would call them "Major Forts" (just a minor aspect).
"Super forts" is just the name we are calling it as it's the name of the BTS mod. In the mod, they are known as "fort"\"large fort" just as it is now.

I agree with ray, that no unarmed unit should be able to guard an active Fort.
This would need a bit of testing reg. the "upgrades of improvements" as there are units such as "light\heavy artillery", "dragoons", etc. that are considered "unarmed" and will not affect upgrade of forts in the future.

Another "hacky" but reasonable method is to give any unit who has a base unit strength > 2 (all armed units) as being able to use the special features of forts (other than the defensive bonus). Of course, settler militias and light artillery are excluded from the list now. However, if we give base unit strength > 1 and exclude "town guard", that will work too as we will now cover all "military" units.

If you guys like one of these solutions or think we should just revert back to the "old version"..i.e foot-musket troops only, i guess i can do that as well.

Once, I get a confirmation, I will checkin the remaining portions of my mod-mod into the R&R SVN along with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom