[MOD] Age of Discovery II

Hi and thanks for making this extremely fun mod for us. I am wondering is there a way to run this as the main game instead of as a mod which makes my vista 64 system lockup sometimes? I have ran it on 32bit system just fine but the 64bit version of vista at least on my system is having some troubles with this one game mod only.

No other mods are present. The game rather than closing properly then restarting with the mod running just closes and the system hangs sometimes (about 50%).

Love what I have seen when it ran on the 32bit version of windows though.

If there is a patch sorry for not finding it here.
If there's a way to just make the mod run completely from the first startup of the game then there is no chance of a hangup since there would be no need to restart the game.

Thanks again for making this!

DD

Hi and thanks for making this extremely fun mod for us. I am wondering is there a way to run this as the main game instead of as a mod which makes my vista 64 system lockup sometimes? I have ran it on 32bit system just fine but the 64bit version of vista at least on my system is having some troubles with this one game mod only.

No other mods are present. The game rather than closing properly then restarting with the mod running just closes and the system hangs sometimes (about 50%).

Love what I have seen when it ran on the 32bit version of windows though.

If there is a patch sorry for not finding it here.
If there's a way to just make the mod run completely from the first startup of the game then there is no chance of a hangup since there would be no need to restart the game.

Thanks again for making this!

DD

Edit the shortcut to have this as the target:

"G:\Strat\TBS\Civ IV Colonisation\Colonization.exe" mod=/AgeOfDiscoveryII

Obv make sure you leave the correct path in :)

Edit the shortcut to have this as the target:

"G:\Strat\TBS\Civ IV Colonisation\Colonization.exe" mod=/AgeOfDiscoveryII

Obv make sure you leave the correct path in :)

Oh man like you made it to simple.

:mischief:

Thats why I like the community here. Everything gets sooooo simple.

Like me!:lol:

DD

Oh man like you made it to simple.

:mischief:

Thats why I like the community here. Everything gets sooooo simple.

Like me!:lol:

DD

Hello everyone...I'm having the same issues....AoDII 1.12 works fine on my 32 bit XP Pro system, but will not load on my Vista Home Premium 64 bit system.... :help:

Regards,

Jeff

Odd since I developed it on Vista Home Premium 64 bit.

Odd since I developed it on Vista Home Premium 64 bit.

Hmmm...well, I've lately been playing on my laptop, a newer model Clevo M860etu with a P9500 (2.53) dual core Intel chip, 4 GB ram, etc....

I kept my v1.08 AoDII...I will transfer that to my laptop and see if I can get that version to work and report back...

I really like this mod...thanks for making it! I know these things take a lot of work! :)

Regards,

Jeff

UPDATE: OK, I did a fresh install of Colonization (avoiding the "Program Files (x86)" folder and installing to C:\2K Games\ etc.., a trick I have learned with other games), then patched to 1.01f (had to do this manually, I think because of the change of default directory), and then unzipped AoD1.12 to the correct place (having to add a "Mods" folder....also, when trying this previous time [before fresh install], I could not get the unzipped files to recognize the proper folder, so I unzipped and then cut/pasted to /Mods), and...

It Worked! :crazyeye:

I just made the suggested changes above, and wha-la! it's running fine ever since.

Dale:
I run Vista 64 ultimate which has some known issues with graphics cards still so mine was probably just that. I do have the newest nVidia drivers but that does not make it totally perfect. Remember it is a Microsoft product!

O.T. How long did you take to program this mod all together with all versions?

All Enjoy!

Keep Civing...

I just made the suggested changes above, and wha-la! it's running fine ever since.

Dale:
I run Vista 64 ultimate which has some known issues with graphics cards still so mine was probably just that. I do have the newest nVidia drivers but that does not make it totally perfect. Remember it is a Microsoft product!

O.T. How long did you take to program this mod all together with all versions?

All Enjoy!

Keep Civing...

How long to complete it?

Well, it came out in September '08, and I was running some concepts through the engine for the last two months of development (July / August '08). The final date was end of August, so looks to be 13 months or there-about. :)

How long to complete it?

Well, it came out in September '08, and I was running some concepts through the engine for the last two months of development (July / August '08). The final date was end of August, so looks to be 13 months or there-about. :)

That's a little over a year of very hard work for this and it shows!:king:

Thank You! for this excellent mod!

DD

I would also like to see the answer to what causes the zero percent chance to establish a mission.

This:

Code:
GET_PLAYER(getOwnerINLINE()).setMissionarySuccessPercent(GET_PLAYER(getOwnerINLINE()).getMissionarySuccessPercent() * GC.getHandicapInfo(GC.getGameINLINE().getHandicapType()).getMissionFailureThresholdPercent() / 100);

That code reduces the mission success rate every time you try to establish a mission.

Sorry if it is listed somewhere in the thread (I haven't read it all)... but is there a way to make the Custom House in AoDII work exactly like the Custom House in the original Colonization game ??

Sorry if it is listed somewhere in the thread (I haven't read it all)... but is there a way to make the Custom House in AoDII work exactly like the Custom House in the original Colonization game ??

Essentially no, since the way the custom house worked in Col1 was exploitive. AoD2 removes those exploits (quite unpopular to some people ;))

Two of my games of AOD2 1.12 have now gone crazy. All of a sudden I get tens of millions of cash and the same in resources, making continued play pointless after many hours gaming. What could be causing this? I am itching to play out my war to its proper conclusion but can't. :crazyeye:
I attach the saved games

Attachments

• cash bug2.ColonizationSave
    945.3 KB · Views: 159
  • cash bug.ColonizationSave
    601.8 KB · Views: 149
Two of my games of AOD2 1.12 have now gone crazy. All of a sudden I get tens of millions of cash and the same in resources, making continued play pointless after many hours gaming. What could be causing this? I am itching to play out my war to its proper conclusion but can't. :crazyeye:
I attach the saved games

Are you using Vista and have you activated the UAC perhaps? Such sudden weird behaviour in Civ4 is often caused by the UAC preventing the game to operate mods correctly. I'm not sure if that is problem for Civ4 Colonization at all, but you might try it out.

Originally Posted by gironha
I would also like to see the answer to what causes the zero percent chance to establish a mission.
Seems like I've seen this zero percent chance also come up after an established mission has been renounced by the natives. i.e an AI converts one of your missions or you go to war with the tribe.

Okay, just wanna start by saying I really like the mod - I like how it's brought back a few old things (like the colonists having a chance to become experts at things through hard toil) and the new stuff its introduced.

I do have a few questions/concerns though:

Why is the Economic victory based only on total goods traded instead of something that actually figures on you making a profit?

For a start, this somewhat destroys the incentive to create finished products. If you have a colonist reaping 6 tobacco a turn, why use another colonist to turn those into 6 cigars, when instead you could have him also out gathering 6 more tobacco, doubling your progress towards the victory? In fact, you'd be best off filling the city with 8 gatherers harvesting the highest possible yield of whatever good is available from a tile which has been pioneered, minus what is required to supply them with food. Then spam as many colonies like these across the map as you can. You would build as little as possible, because you want lumber sent out; you wouldn't want colonies to grow, because you could sell food before it reaches 200, too.

That just seems to not make much sense to me. Isn't that what the homelands wanted, a subservient country ferrying back raw materials instead of finished goods? Shouldn't the victory instead be a tally of net profit? Which favors making smart trades, exporting high yield finished goods, and keeping costs and imports to a minimum? Or perhaps you should have to accrue 100,000 current gold, or something instead.

This victory condition is also exploitable. With a ship at your homeland, find one of the goods with a small spread - like trade goods 2/3. Buy one stack of the good, then sell it again. For a cost of 100 + the tax rate in gold, you've just increased your economic victory by 200 by making a transaction that makes no economic sense. So all your excess gold from crating back hundreds upon hundreds of raw goods can be used to simply further skew your numbers. Having to actually create net profits would certainly change all that behaviour.

Anyway, that's my only gameplay concern. I've also had some weird behaviour with the natives, though. Here's my situation:

I landed basically between the Iroquoi and the Incas, on one of the smaller maps comprised of one continuous continent, in a narrowish strip of land between 2 puffier wide areas. The Aztecs have cities to the south, and the Sioux to the north. What's happening is that I'm getting incredible relationship negatives from the Sioux, and to a lesser extent the Inca, with the reason being "You have stolen our land." This is a negative I never get in the normal game because I always pay for land I want to settle. However, all 3 other european civs are north of me in the Sioux/Inca lands, and it seems like those 2 natives are in some way attributing the other European's land-grabbing negatives to my civ as well. I am nowhere near any of the Sioux villages, but I have a -8 modifier, and a -14 from the Inca. The Iroqois have a bit of "Way of life is threatening", no doubt because I have 5 well-developed towns smack dab between 3 of his villages, but Logan has absolutely no complaints about land-stealing, nor does Montezuma off further south. This is making things a bit difficult, as both Sioux and Inca declared war on me the same day and I'm pretty much forced to hire an army and wipe them out now.

At the risk of repeating something that's been said a thousand times in this thread, this mod is absolutely wonderful. I am currently overdosing on nostalgia.

Top Bottom