[Religion and Revolution]: Subversion

Quote from Ray in another thread: ----------------------

2 things are extremely important:

1. Start testing with new games every time changes are done.
2. Keep your mod folder and the repository copy separated.

Both things have caused many problems in the past if not done like that.

Do not simply copy the local copy of the SVN repository to MyGames. :thumbsup:
Use "Tortoise SVN -> Export" to get a copy without SVN-data and put that one into MyGames.

---------------------------------------

I've reposted that here because it is useful info for some other SVN newbie like me.

Ok. I think I've traced my horse issues back to a savegame file used across several mod version updates. But that file won't even load now so it's not possible to say much more than that.

My local mirror of the SVN files is all separate from my MyGames folder. And I use Tortoise to SVN update those files from Assembla - so that is all OK.

But I had been copying the R&R mod files to MyGames and then using my own file syncing software to keep that up to date, i.e. not using Tortoise Export.

So I've cleaned out the MyGame files and Exported a new version of R&R to there. That's fine. But what happens with updating that version?
- Should I clear the MyGames R&R folder every time there is a change and Export a full new version,
- Or can I just update it somehow? I can re-Export, and this just overwrites all the existing files and adds new ones. But I don't think it will delete files from the mod if they have been removed from the master version for some reason.

But what happens with updating that version?

When you do a "SVN Update" on your local copy of our repository, you get a log of all changes done to our mod.

If it is really a lot of changes, delete the exported mod in "MyGames" and do a new "SVN Export".

If it is only a few changes, you can manually take the changes from "local repository copy" to "mod folder in MyGames".
Manually copy the changed or new files, manually delete the deleted files.
(Keep the "SVN Update"-log open ! Thus you can check that you did not forget anything.)

You need to find out for yourself, what works best for you.

But please, stay clean here. :)

Also, please start testing with new saves after you have gotten the newest revision of our mod. :thumbsup:

As I said, unproper handling of these things has caused a lot of problems in the past.

I'm not sure how to send a message when doing SVN Commit; when updating Events this weekend I typed an update message in the box, but it didn't seem to send out an email about it.

eMails are not necessary. :)

The only thing necessary are the comments when doing a commit.
These comments are visible in the "Stream"-View of our SVN-Homepage.
They are extremely useful. :thumbsup:

The current version needs very long to load...is that normal?

Please be more specific. :)
When starting the mod, or starting a new game or ... ? :dunno:

When starting the mod...

Oh, that is pretty normal. :)
(Had that with TAC and RWL, too. It is probably related to recreating cashes after changes.)

For me, sometimes the mod is completely loaded within seconds after clicking the desktop-icon
but other times I wait for half a minute or so, before I even see first signs of the loading process at all.

Might be related to several factors like caching, general amount of graphics, graphics packed into fpk, ...

But as long as it is loading this is no real problem for me. :dunno:
(Loading times, turn times, ... ingame are much more important to me.)

All right. It is only a problem, If you want to test some changes and you want to do that in a propper time... :D

...and you know...user/player will ask the same question... ;)

(Had that with TAC and RWL, too. It is probably related to recreating cashes after changes.)

But as long as it is loading this is no real problem for me. :dunno:
(Loading times, turn times, ... ingame are much more important to me.)

Yes this was an issue with TAC but for me R&R takes a lot longer, maybe up to 2 minutes.

I know that I almost always walk away while it is loading (go to the toilet / make a coffee etc.) and don't come back till I hear the music.

I agree with Ray we can be confident that it will load eventually. But we should document something in the release posts, that it looks like it crashes back to desktop.

This is real issue, the player is given back the PC desktop, without any sort of loading hour-glass, so they may think it has failed and might start a new Colonisation run. Then trying to run two versions at once does cause a crash. I know I did this with TAC before I got faith that it would always load.

Originally Posted by Schmiddie View Post
The current version needs very long to load...is that normal?
This is likely due to the added art files, art is the #1 cause of loadtime in Civ4 mods. Fortunately this can be solved without removing art, by compressing the entire Assets/Art folder to one FPK file (see Wolfshanze's excellent tutorial):

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=297865

Since the TAC art is already in one FPK, its best to unpack the FPK file from TAC, combine that with the new RaR art into a single art folder, delete any unneeded stuff from that, then pack the entire Assets/Art folder to a single FPK file. I'll bet you 100 Coats that should improve loadtimes by a lot ! :thumbsup:

Since the TAC art is already in one FPK,

But not in our svn work folder?

I see no packed TAC file in there all asset/art files are still unpacked...

However, nice to hear that it would be possible. When we make our first release it would be the best to do that...

Might be related to several factors like caching, general amount of graphics, graphics packed into fpk, ...

We will have an fpk for our releases. :)
But currently - while we are still working intensively on graphics - this would hinder us.

@team:

There is currently some "Upgrade" running on our SVN server. :confused:

Did anybody of you do something in the "Upgrade"-tab of our server ?
If you did, please write me a private message now. :thumbsup:

I didn't even know there was an upgrade tab on the server.:confused:
Where is the tab? More importantly what effect is the upgrade having? Can we still import our changesets and update or should we hold off until the upgrade issue is resolved?

I didn't even know there was an upgrade tab on the server.:confused:
Where is the tab?

It is visible on the homepage of our server.
(At least to me it is. I am not sure, if all of you guys see it.)

More importantly what effect is the upgrade having?

I don't know. :dunno:
I asked support of assembla but did not get a reply yet.

Can we still import our changesets and update or should we hold off until the upgrade issue is resolved?

You can continue working (commiting and updating) as usual. :thumbsup:

@team:

I got reply from assembla support.

It seems as if the upgrade was related to core functionality of assembla (our service provider) itself.

So it was nothing about upgrade of functionality for our repository / space.
(Because these things cost money after the trial time.)

So everything ok. :)
(Sorry for the confusion.)

@team and partners:

There had been an issue with our Subversion Server.
But it seems as if it is resolved now.

If you still experience problems, please write me a private message. :thumbsup:

Currently there seem to be some problems with our SVN. :(
I will try to get that solved.

Edit:

Assembla (our provider) is generally experiencing problems currently.
They are working on the issue.

Top Bottom