[Religion and Revolution]: Achievements

I like the ideas, but please...have in mind that we need a picture for every achievement.

For test reasons I made the picture for the Ranger above. I think it needs between 1 and 2 hours to make a picture with a good quality. For quality reasons of the whole mod the pictures for the new achievements should have the same quality as they are in the TAC achievements (TAC pictures have a very high quality).

We should not "only" use screenshots for this since on the map the units have another size as buildings and landscape. Therefore you need to bring units and landscape/buildings in line ( taking a screenshot of the empty landscape and insert the units with the nifviewer for example). But this needs some time....

So ok, just go ahead with your plans. :)

Some suggestions:

1. Let us know quite specifically, if you need a graphic.
(A detailled description what you want to show.)

2. Present your work with a screenshot from time to time.
(Maybe before uploading to SVN.)

3. Please have short posts, that are easy to read. ;)
(In super long posts, I forget what I read at the start until I reach the end.)

I like the ideas, but please...have in mind that we need a picture for every achievement.
For quality reasons of the whole mod the pictures for the new achievements should have the same quality as they are in the TAC achievements (TAC pictures have a very high quality).

We should not "only" use screenshots for this since on the map the units have another size as buildings and landscape.
But this needs some time....

Exactly. :thumbsup:
(Ingame screenshots are usually only the base for the final .dds.)

And like usual, we should really pay attention to quality. :)
(texts and graphics.)

For now i will bind my achievements to one generic graphic (all the same one). Once i have them keyed in, i will upload screenshots and wait for the <PictureFileName> files. Please ready that ranger, as it is the first one i am going to do - then i will use that as a guide to do the rest of them.

Cheers.

For now i will bind my achievements to one generic graphic (all the same one). Once i have them keyed in, i will upload screenshots and wait for the <PictureFileName> files. Please ready that ranger, as it is the first one i am going to do - then i will use that as a guide to do the rest of them.

Sounds good. :thumbsup:

Incredible - I have one small problem. Where do i go to make my header and body show up instead of seeing TEXT_KEY_THREE_RANGERS?

Incredible - I have one small problem. Where do i go to make my header and body show up instead of seeing TEXT_KEY_THREE_RANGERS?

Maybe you have a spelling mistake. :dunno:

Ususally it is:
TXT_KEY_THREE_RANGERS
and not:
TEXT_KEY_THREE_RANGERS

Will GIMP be capable of taking a screenshot - and loading in the portraits of units (to rescale)?

If so, i can prepare to upload screenshots while i write these stories. If not, i will wait until i have several achievements finished.

i have

</AchieveInfo>
<AchieveInfo>
<Type>ACHIEVE_THREE_RANGERS</Type>
<Description>TXT_KEY_ACHIEVE_THREE_RANGERS</Description>
<bActive>1</bActive>
<bAfterMove>0</bAfterMove>
<HeaderTextKey>TXT_KEY_ACHIEVE_THREE_RANGERS_HEAD</HeaderTextKey>
<BodyTextKey>TXT_KEY_ACHIEVE_THREE_RANGERS_TEXT</BodyTextKey>

And i have

<TEXT>
<Tag>TXT_KEY_ACHIEVE_THREE_RANGERS</Tag>
<English>Our troops have assembled new light infantry units, moving fast through the woods and plains. How will these new troops shape the armies of the new world? Rangers are light infantry, well suited for both exploration and combat. [NEWLINE]Rangers first appeared when Major Robert Rogers informally trained them. Our Rangers are ready to stand prowl the wilderness, these masters of the wild will give us an edge. Mastering new techniques, will they change the battlefield leading into coming centuries?[NEWLINE][NEWLINE]</English>

The text is just an abstract so that once i get used to the feel of how it appears in the popup, i can write and stylize it according to space and practicality.

Edit - i do not know why Civfanatics has THREE_RANGERS_HEA D because in my XML and cfc edit mode the spacebar is not present.

@thadian:

You need to set up 3 TXT_KEYS. :)
(That are then referenced from the XML of the achievement.)

TXT_KEY_ACHIEVE_THREE_RANGERS
TXT_KEY_ACHIEVE_THREE_RANGERS_HEAD
TXT_KEY_ACHIEVE_THREE_RANGERS_TEXT

Simply take a look at the existing ones. :thumbsup:

Perfect, the rangers work beautifully - now, to revise my text, pop in the picture and do the others. Now that i have finished one and confirmed that it works, all i need to do is finish the others. Actually, a lot of the "models" are already in there, so i will have an easy time with the rest of them.

Once i complete the achievements i KNOW that i can do, that utilize the new resources, buildings and units i will post screenshots, and update the file.

Thanks for your patience in helping me get started. I have renewed confidence, i never knew how easy it would be. It sure looks hard until you make one working copy of something, then it just comes together, eh?

Perfect, the rangers work beautifully.

Great. :)

Thanks for your patience in helping me get started. I have renewed confidence, i never knew how easy it would be. It sure looks hard until you make one working copy of something, then it just comes together, eh?

As you said, you just need to get started and go step by step.
Then it really just comes together. :thumbsup:

Your sure right about that - i have organized myself better and figured out the difference between what comes up on the "popup" and what is listed inside the chronicle.

Knowing this difference will increase diversity - i have also figured out 5 lines of text will "fill" the popup without scrolling, providing the space for introduction paragraph. This way, those who wish to close the popup will see a completed paragraph and not a run-off.

(for some reason, it is more attractive to the eye when you can finish this paragraph without scrolling down - especially if your just going to close it anyway)

thadian, a little hint: don't use colons at your achievement texts. They can generate bugs. Sometimes the texts will finish prematurely.

wow, thanks! I was wondering about that because of all the codes that use colons. I also learned not to copy paste wiki because of [sic]. (though i will not use wiki for very much)

Wow Thadian greast job with the rangers :hatsoff: I was going to suggest mentioning Major Robert Rogers, (as most people have never heard of him), but you already had him in the text. I'm doubly impressed.:)

I start each achievement by mentioning backstory and looking for things like that - im glad you noticed it.

Yes, i tried to upload a small fix-it in the Colopedia, where an entry looked like this

AchievementsAchievements

instead of

Achievements
Achievements ...

the "Events" page in the Colopedia is the spot where the change was made at line 2149 (i believe) in XML\Text\CIV4GameText_Colonization_Pedia

I did not yet upload my achievements because i am still working on them, they all "work" except they all have the picture of the Art/Achievements/Pioneer.dds. I enjoy finding little flavor pieces like Robert Rogers and the first bishops in the new world.

Top Bottom