Fall from Heaven II for newbs!

Tiarilir

Chieftain
Well I'm thinking about taking some screenshots while playing a quick game to then tell a story and explain much about the game, for new people as well as people who haven't heard about the game.

I was thinking about going Ljosalfar with FOL, but I'm not sure if that would be the best decision, what do you think?

Also, should I go really really in-depth and even take more than one screenshot per turn, with only a few amount of turns playing, or should I do a full game with just some detail?
I do not have unlimited amounts of time, so I can't merge the both.

Feedback really appreciated :)

If you're aiming for people who haven't heard about FfH then perhaps the FfH subforum is not the best place :D Well, unless you have the thread linked from the main Civ forum or something.

I think Ljosalfar with FoL are a good choice, I learned to play FfH with this setup. Still not that weird from vanilla player perspective (think Sheiam or Balseraph...) so the new mechanics can be shown without the readers feeling being overwhelmed by it.

It might be interesting if you touched on several different civs. Briefly going throug the magic/priest systems then highlighting some civs uniqueness and strategies they use. Good ones would be Luchuip, elves, elohim etc.

If you're aiming for people who haven't heard about FfH then perhaps the FfH subforum is not the best place :D Well, unless you have the thread linked from the main Civ forum or something.

I think Ljosalfar with FoL are a good choice, I learned to play FfH with this setup. Still not that weird from vanilla player perspective (think Sheiam or Balseraph...) so the new mechanics can be shown without the readers feeling being overwhelmed by it.

I will link to this forum from another forum I frequent, because that forum doesn't allow me to insert images in my post, so the thread will certainly get more views if I link it. At least that's what I hope.

It might be interesting if you touched on several different civs. Briefly going throug the magic/priest systems then highlighting some civs uniqueness and strategies they use. Good ones would be Luchuip, elves, elohim etc.

I will start with one race. If it isn't enough for some people to play, I will then consider adding another race :)

Alternatively, you could start with a civ like the Ljos with an early-game impact (or the Clan or Doviello to show off the Barb trait) then take over control of another civ - either grant yourself control over an AI civ, or start the whole thing off in Hotseat with maybe 3 or 4 civs and move the focus of the report from one to another periodically - I think that's what I'd do if I were setting out to do this.

IMHO, the Balseraphs under Perpentach are actually pretty good for a newbie player, once he has the basics down. Playing a while as Perpentach really helps you get into the FfH mindset without any truly bizzare mechanics to cope with. The Balseraphs are a buffet of various tricks to use, but none are as strange as the Sheaim AC-loving or the Kuriotate settlment/supercity mechanic. They're also pretty open-ended; while they have a slight warmongering tendency, and slavery is usually the best option for filling your freak shows, I've had builder games as the Balseraphs go wonderfully well. As long as you remember to adjust according to Perp's trait changes, you can do pretty well... and since Perp has three traits, he's never too weak for any one task. If he lacks any directly warmongering tratis, Perp will at least be able to keep the home economy churning smoothly.
For getting to know the magic system, and possibly shooting for a Tower victory, the Amurites are a great bet. They're another very flexible civ, and their mages get enough XP from Arcane and the Cave of Ancestors that you can afford to experiment.

I've done these "game documenting" topics as I call them about 6 or 7 times for FfH on another forum I go to. The most recent one(a few days ago actually) I used a free flickr account to post images and just posted links to them(the forum I'm doing this on doesn't allow images either). Previously I would use imageshack for it. I found that using flickr is a lot faster, a lot easier and a lot better in general.

Also don't bother going super in depth it takes forever and after the first dozen or so turns you will be really bored with doing that(I find that I usually post less images and text as the game goes on).

What I usually do is take a few screen shots at the start of the game showing civ, starting location, options screen, etc. Then after that I keep a notepad file open and anytime something interesting happens I write down the turn number and sometimes take a screen shot of it(I keep paint open and just copy and paste to that each time I take a screen).

Usually in the beginning of the game I'll note what techs I'm researching why I'm researching them, events, what I get from goody huts, when I find unique features(along with pics), where I place my cities, when I capture cities, when I go to war, etc.

I find that it is pretty fun to do every once in a while but it does get frustrating at times as I like it when people actively participate and comment on stuff but I find that almost never happens when I do these types of topics. Usually people will post in the thread once to "tag" it and never post again.

Anyways good luck.

P.S. Would anyone here be interested in a "community" game. A few days ago I tried to get a game going(on this other forum) where I would let the posters vote to decide on the game actions. For example: they would choose civ, where to place cities, what techs to research, etc. Unfortunately it never really got off the ground due to lack of participants. Would there be any interest for that here?

IMHO, the Balseraphs under Perpentach are actually pretty good for a newbie player, once he has the basics down. Playing a while as Perpentach really helps you get into the FfH mindset without any truly bizzare mechanics to cope with. The Balseraphs are a buffet of various tricks to use, but none are as strange as the Sheaim AC-loving or the Kuriotate settlment/supercity mechanic. They're also pretty open-ended; while they have a slight warmongering tendency, and slavery is usually the best option for filling your freak shows, I've had builder games as the Balseraphs go wonderfully well. As long as you remember to adjust according to Perp's trait changes, you can do pretty well... and since Perp has three traits, he's never too weak for any one task. If he lacks any directly warmongering tratis, Perp will at least be able to keep the home economy churning smoothly.
For getting to know the magic system, and possibly shooting for a Tower victory, the Amurites are a great bet. They're another very flexible civ, and their mages get enough XP from Arcane and the Cave of Ancestors that you can afford to experiment.

I would find Perpentach's madness pretty maddening as a newbie to FFH, but familiar with regular Civ4 traits. I imagine most people would play to a trait, and forget to check whether they've lose it, and be unable to properly make use of the constantly shifting traits, because they would never expect it. On the other hand, I would've thought Kuriotates would be the easiest to get used to: plan your first few cities with a 3 tile radius instead of two, then everything else is resource grabs.

Hey guys

I got a question which may sound stupid but, uhm I just can't start the game. Well, it loads and all but when I go to the scenario menu, I have this list of missions which looks fine but there's no button to start the first (or any other) one. Only when I press enter I get ingame, but it's an empty duel map, what, as I guess, isn't the 1st mission.

Hey guys

I got a question which may sound stupid but, uhm I just can't start the game. Well, it loads and all but when I go to the scenario menu, I have this list of missions which looks fine but there's no button to start the first (or any other) one. Only when I press enter I get ingame, but it's an empty duel map, what, as I guess, isn't the 1st mission.

You click the little flag icons next to the scenario names on the left-hand side.

Interesting thread to Necro :)

(Got my hopes up at some more people coming to the FfH forums. Oh well.)

For some reason I cannot build barnaxus while playing dwarves.
Only req seems to be construction tech, but no barnaxus unit appears in the city screen. Sculptor's studio did not help either. What am I missing?

Top Bottom