Steam - love or hate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When starting CIV5, Steam starts up and I am prompted by a Steam window which version of Civ5 to run. That is not Firaxis. Firaxis gives me another prompt later. I am twice asked which version to run. It's aggravating.

If you start Civ V directly then Steam won't ask you. You can create a shortcut from Steam (right click the entry in your games list, select create desktop shortcut), or you can create DX-version-specific shortcuts from Civ V's launcher (right click the launcher window; note that these shortcuts don't seem to work for me, they still bring up the dialog).

They didn't blackmail me. It was more along the lines of extortion since no crimes were committed by either party. It is their policy to cancel your account if there is a chargeback. However, I didn't realize that this, combined with their "no refund" policy, gave them the right to not deliver on orders, take your money regardless, and tell you to stick it. It is my policy, (as a consumer), to get my money back if I paid for something and didn't get it.

For anyone who has to use Steam for a game, your best bet is to open a different email account for each game you order. This way, if a game doesn't work and Steam will not give you a refund or a replacement, you can do a chargeback and not lose everything else you have paid for.
i would have sued them :goodjob:
they suck. i don't buy games anymore

I have used Steam since the beginning(HL2) and mostly find it to be a good service. I love Steam cloud for save games, I love not having to worry about DVDs or cd-keys when reinstalling. I love not having to insert a DVD every time I'm about to play a game and I love that Steam have an offline mode.

I would have prefered Steam to be more separate from the Steamstore. If it was a common platform all the major publishers agreed on it would have been better. The update-system should also have been improved. A download limiter(so you can auto-update without using all bandwith) and a queue system would be great.

But I have to admit, stories like the ones mjamie14 post is a bit scary. I would have felt more secure if Steam was located in Norway, or at least a country with better consumer rights than the US.

Steam proves willing to hold back values for thousands of dollars over a dispute of $40. That is totally unreasonable.

I don't love Steam. While I think it's a fine service and it seems to work okay, I bought and paid for CIV 5, not CIV 5 + Steam. I don't want stuff I didn't expect on my computer, no matter what it is. I'm also not really a fan of "walled gardens", like Steam or iTunes where, once you're in, you can't get out. That's the ultimate business model, so I respect it from that perspective, but when a company has you by the short and curlies THEY are the ones driving the relationship.

Just wait until Steam decides to charge a subscription and see how many people fall all over themselves to defend their service then. I'm not saying they will, but the thought is 100% guaranteed to cross their minds at some point because they're a business, and that's what businesses do. They transfer money from their customers to themselves.

I don't hate Steam, either, any more than I hate iTunes. I just would consider it a disadvantage when thinking about whether or not to buy a game.

This thread is still going... :cry:

Can not all further threads regarding steam and people's problems or loves/hates with it be posted in (or otherwise moved to) Computer Talk or Off Topic, as despite the fact Civ5 is released on Steam, these threads bear little relevance to Civ5 itself, and worst of all, they keep popping up! Grrr...

/mini-rant

Windsor said:
But I have to admit, stories like the ones mjamie14 post is a bit scary. I would have felt more secure if Steam was located in Norway, or at least a country with better consumer rights than the US.
Well, there's usually horror-stories associated with everything. Some people just get into an unlucky situation, but being the optimist I am, I refuse to let stories like that scare me into not using a great service. If that were to happen to me (and chances are it won't) then I'd deal with it then, I'm not going to live in fear of it and brand the service a failure and boycott it - not that I'm saying you were, I'm just going by some of the other extremist's views on the forum!

I would ask a simple question for those who hate Steam. Would you prefer that Firaxis, or any other game you buy, come up with their own DRM? So that you have in worst cases all these DRM bloatware clients loaded on your PC? I'm thinking along the lines of EA and Spore...

Because not having DRM just isn't realistic with games these days. Just saying...

Hate. Hate. Hate, a thousand times hate.

This is my first Steam experience -- I actually bought the disk IN STORE because I wanted to avoid Steam due to horror stories from the Paradox boards (I also play a lot of EU, HOI, etc) but didn't read the box carefully enough.

I've bought through multiple digital distribution channels before - I've got games through Impulse, through the old Stardock precursor to Impulse, through Direct2Drive, through Gamers Gate, and elsewhere. I've had the occasional gripe, but overall -- I prefer digital distribution. Makes PC moves easier, no worries about damaged/lost disks, etc.

Steam's problem is that it's obnoxious -

It reminds me of BJ Novak in one of the early season Office storylines -- meet SteamInfinity! You're buying games, you're talking about the election, all in our virtual paper stor...errr game store!

Guess what - I don't WANT that - and Steam makes it incredibly difficult not have their "community" shoved down your throat.

First and foremost - there's the constant need to be online.... Yes, yes "Play in offline mode!" -- but you have to be ONLINE TO GO OFFLINE!

I'm sure in the college world, which seems to be what Steam caters to, to the exception of all others - I'm sure it's wonderful having an army of network admins ensuring your T3 connection in your dormroom is always up and running. In the real world, though, ISP problems are not uncommon.

I've got a line problem that requires a service call -- noise issues causing dropped packets -- and my ISP can't schedule me till next week. I spent - no joke - 90 minutes last night after work just trying to boot up Civ5. First Steam tells me the network is unavailable -- helpfully pointing me to a website that I can't #$@#!@ get to. Then, it keeps telling me Civ5 is unavailable - with only a "Try again" or "Cancel" option. Finally - after an hour and half of trying every launch mechanism under the sun - I'm able to get a brief connection and launch in offline mode.

That's nothing short of ridiculous. I spent $100 on the disk -- it's sitting in the damn DVD drive, I've dutifully (and painfully) registered it via Steam -- and I should have to suffer through their crap? Nonsense.

...and that's before you even get into the auto-updates (I'm sure that will be great for mods) and the fact that Steam cries worse than any other digital distributor when you try to alter game files.

Civilization is fundamentally a solo play game - and Steam simply is an awful channel for a game that just wants to be left alone.

I've bought the last 5 iterations of OOTP via digital distribution (Vitech, Digital River, and the old Front Office system) -- never had anything close to the frustration I've had with Steam in just a week of using it. They drop a digital license, there's an in-game activation - and I never need to deal with them again... Oh - except when purchasing a new PC - and moving the license was a piece of cake. Old PC died - e-mailed support, they responded with a license release in 5 minutes, and I was up and running on the new PC in another 2 minutes.

I bought EU2, EU3, EU3-NAP, EU3-IN, and EU3-HTTH through Gamers Gate -- it's a beautiful thing. Again, drop a license, then they never bother me again.

I bought HOI2-ARM, as well as HOI3 and HOI3-SF through Direct2Drive (and note - ARM was an expansion to the original that I bought on CD). Yet again, no problems whatsoever.

I bought GalCiv2 and all the expansions through Impulse - a wonderful experience... They even allow auto-rollbacks to previous iterations directly in the interface.

I have no doubt the Gabe Newell fanbois will come out of the woodwork telling me how I'm just whining... whatever. Go play Halo.

Add up all of the digital distribution purchases I've had in the last 5 years -- and I had more anger and frustration in a single week of using Steam than all the rest combined.

Hate. Hate. Hate, a thousand times hate.

This is my first Steam experience -- I actually bought the disk IN STORE because I wanted to avoid Steam due to horror stories from the Paradox boards (I also play a lot of EU, HOI, etc) but didn't read the box carefully enough.

I've bought through multiple digital distribution channels before - I've got games through Impulse, through the old Stardock precursor to Impulse, through Direct2Drive, through Gamers Gate, and elsewhere. I've had the occasional gripe, but overall -- I prefer digital distribution. Makes PC moves easier, no worries about damaged/lost disks, etc.

Steam's problem is that it's obnoxious -

It reminds me of BJ Novak in one of the early season Office storylines -- meet SteamInfinity! You're buying games, you're talking about the election, all in our virtual paper stor...errr game store!

Guess what - I don't WANT that - and Steam makes it incredibly difficult not have their "community" shoved down your throat.

First and foremost - there's the constant need to be online.... Yes, yes "Play in offline mode!" -- but you have to be ONLINE TO GO OFFLINE!

I'm sure in the college world, which seems to be what Steam caters to, to the exception of all others - I'm sure it's wonderful having an army of network admins ensuring your T3 connection in your dormroom is always up and running. In the real world, though, ISP problems are not uncommon.

I've got a line problem that requires a service call -- noise issues causing dropped packets -- and my ISP can't schedule me till next week. I spent - no joke - 90 minutes last night after work just trying to boot up Civ5. First Steam tells me the network is unavailable -- helpfully pointing me to a website that I can't #$@#!@ get to. Then, it keeps telling me Civ5 is unavailable - with only a "Try again" or "Cancel" option. Finally - after an hour and half of trying every launch mechanism under the sun - I'm able to get a brief connection and launch in offline mode.

That's nothing short of ridiculous. I spent $100 on the disk -- it's sitting in the damn DVD drive, I've dutifully (and painfully) registered it via Steam -- and I should have to suffer through their crap? Nonsense.

...and that's before you even get into the auto-updates (I'm sure that will be great for mods) and the fact that Steam cries worse than any other digital distributor when you try to alter game files.

Civilization is fundamentally a solo play game - and Steam simply is an awful channel for a game that just wants to be left alone.

I've bought the last 5 iterations of OOTP via digital distribution (Vitech, Digital River, and the old Front Office system) -- never had anything close to the frustration I've had with Steam in just a week of using it. They drop a digital license, there's an in-game activation - and I never need to deal with them again... Oh - except when purchasing a new PC - and moving the license was a piece of cake. Old PC died - e-mailed support, they responded with a license release in 5 minutes, and I was up and running on the new PC in another 2 minutes.

I bought EU2, EU3, EU3-NAP, EU3-IN, and EU3-HTTH through Gamers Gate -- it's a beautiful thing. Again, drop a license, then they never bother me again.

I bought HOI2-ARM, as well as HOI3 and HOI3-SF through Direct2Drive (and note - ARM was an expansion to the original that I bought on CD). Yet again, no problems whatsoever.

I bought GalCiv2 and all the expansions through Impulse - a wonderful experience... They even allow auto-rollbacks to previous iterations directly in the interface.

I have no doubt the Gabe Newell fanbois will come out of the woodwork telling me how I'm just whining... whatever. Go play Halo.

Add up all of the digital distribution purchases I've had in the last 5 years -- and I had more anger and frustration in a single week of using Steam than all the rest combined.

:lol: Great satire. :goodjob:

I would ask a simple question for those who hate Steam. Would you prefer that Firaxis, or any other game you buy, come up with their own DRM? So that you have in worst cases all these DRM bloatware clients loaded on your PC? I'm thinking along the lines of EA and Spore...

Because not having DRM just isn't realistic with games these days. Just saying...

Why is it not realistic to not have DRM? DRM does absolutely nothing except make games worse for paying customers and increase costs for makers. For pirates DRM does not exist. They just download the game and don't have to worry at all about DRM since it was removed from pirated version few days after release.

I just don't understand how game companies can be so stupid that they pay for DRM which is 100% useless against pirates and only hurts legal buyers.

I just don't understand how game companies can be so stupid that they pay for DRM which is 100% useless against pirates and only hurts legal buyers.

I agree, except in this case I don't feel it applies to Steam. Steam has only provided advantages for me.

Why is it not realistic to not have DRM? DRM does absolutely nothing except make games worse for paying customers and increase costs for makers. For pirates DRM does not exist.

The facts are not on your side. There's lots of empirical evidence that some DRM does reduce piracy.

I'm liking Steam a lot more than I thought I would.

For pirates DRM does not exist.
True. But it's the same with your front door - for the dedicated burglar, it does not exist either.

Still, we have front doors and lock them. To deter the casual thief. Same with DRM - it's not against dedicated pirates, it's against casual piracy by "Average Joe".

Since Steam is relatively unobstrusive DRM (single activation plus value added), as opposed to draconian DRM (.e.g Assassin's Creed II), I'm pretty much fine with it. And achievements are cute.

Cheers, LT.

True. But it's the same with your front door - for the dedicated burglar, it does not exist either.

Still, we have front doors and lock them. To deter the casual thief. Same with DRM - it's not against dedicated pirates, it's against casual piracy by "Average Joe".

How does it work against casual pirate?

Casual pirate goes to net and downloads the game and it does not have DRM since it was removed. It is exactly the casual pirate who in no way even notices game has DRM.

I hate steam. I'm in afghanistan with no access to the internet on my laptop. I order a physical copy of ciV from amazon thinking I can install it on my laptop and play it with no problems only to find out I have to connect to steam first. Great now I have to wait 6 months to play a game that I've been anticipating for 6 months, nice. Its my own fault for not doing enough research though.

I hate steam. I'm in afghanistan with no access to the internet on my laptop. I order a physical copy of ciV from amazon thinking I can install it on my laptop and play it with no problems only to find out I have to connect to steam first. Great now I have to wait 6 months to play a game that I've been anticipating for 6 months, nice. Its my own fault for not doing enough research though.

How are you posting?

I dislike steam because it bumps me. I can't play anything for more than about 45 minutes without disconnecting from steam (but I stay connected to everything else I have running at the time.) I've spent tens of hours trying to solve this with both my best friend and my wife, both of whom are pretty strong technically. It works on both of their rigs. Doesn't work on mine. I'm still playing 30-45 minutes at a time, then disconnecting from steam for 2 minutes, then asking to please rejoin the game I was just in.

I have no philosphical problem with steam, it just doesn't work right. So will I be boycotting any must-have games based on this? No, good games are too few and far between. But if I'm ever on the edge as to whether or not to purchase something, being on steam will result in a non-purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom