New civ linked to new resource

If it is was revealed that "Glass" was the new luxury resource tied to an unspecified civ, I would guess that that new civ was Venice.

Whereas I wouldn't assume that was connected to a new civ at all without his having explicitly said the new resource was connected to a new civ. If he had simply said, "We have glass as a new resource," I would not then think, "Oh, they must have added Venice, then, because glass doesn't make sense without them!" I would just think, "Oh, glass, huh? Neat."

Whereas if he said, "The new resource is the murex sea snail," I would immediately think, "What an odd choice. There would be no reason to add that unless the Phoenicians were in. Hey, I'll bet that means they are!"

Until a more reputable manufactured good is presented, I maintain that Venice is this civ (unless they have opted for a natural resource).

Whereas I maintain that we don't know what the new civ is. It could be Venice. It could be the Sioux. It could be the Phoenicians. It could be someone none of us have even considered yet. They have flat out not given us enough information to go on. You can say it must be Venice if you like. But I will still say it's premature to assume that.

Whereas I wouldn't assume that was connected to a new civ at all without his having explicitly said the new resource was connected to a new civ. If he had simply said, "We have glass as a new resource," I would not then think, "Oh, they must have added Venice, then, because glass doesn't make sense without them!" I would just think, "Oh, glass, huh? Neat."

Whereas if he said, "The new resource is the murex sea snail," I would immediately think, "What an odd choice. There would be no reason to add that unless the Phoenicians were in. Hey, I'll bet that means they are!"

Whereas I maintain that we don't know what the new civ is. It could be Venice. It could be the Sioux. It could be the Phoenicians. It could be someone none of us have even considered yet. They have flat out not given us enough information to go on. You can say it must be Venice if you like. But I will still say it's premature to assume that.

I of course understand what you're saying, but it's just a matter of the fun of deducing and then learning whether you're right or wrong for me, and then why if the latter. I would miss that out if I were to concede that it's simply too earlier to tell, even if that is safer to say.

But for all I know, it could be cigars.

. . . Did I really begin every paragraph of that post with "Whereas"? That's kind of embarrassing. After all that, I could have at least ended with a paragraph starting "Therefore be it resolved". Yeesh.

im sure it'll be a manufactured or grown resource (think tulips and the netherlands) but i really am leaning toward a civ none of has thought of or one thats been said but not really given much real thought, instead everyones focused on venice

Here's my guess: cork and Portugal. We're the world's largest producer and exporter of cork.

(Not likely, but it's all in good fun :) )

QUOTE=Luckystrike77;12356439]Their the only ones with the TV-antenna ressource Attached to their heads? ;)

Weeeeelll suppose you could say that :lol:
But I was thinking more Tripods and Red Weed :3

This kinda thing[/QUOTE]

That is pretty scary, those Martians can bend space. From the vantage point of the picture, St. Paul's Cathedral and Tower Bridge are definitely not in the positions they are pictured in.

Here's my guess: cork and Portugal. We're the world's largest producer and exporter of cork.

:lol: That'd be fun, and it'd give Portugal a diplomacy bonus (more things to trade, weeee) and a trade bonus (extra resources makes international trade routes more lucrative :)) - but it's a stretch, so don't bet on it! ;) :p

Or Port.

That of course would be the extremely obvious giveaway that Ed Beach might have been hinting at. After you have researched a certain tech or build a certain building your Wine tiles would produce Port as well as Wine. And it would be one of those flavor-but-not-very-powerful additions, like Carthage being able to cross mountains.

Or Port.

That of course would be the extremely obvious giveaway that Ed Beach might have been hinting at. After you have researched a certain tech or build a certain building your Wine tiles would produce Port as well as Wine. And it would be one of those flavor-but-not-very-powerful additions, like Carthage being able to cross mountains.

What extremely obvious giveaway? I think I missed that. Is it from the Q&A?

Or Port.

You mean... Porto? Don't we already have wine? :confused: Why would we have wine and Porto? Sure, it's a really good wine (or so I hear), but that seems a weird...

Or Port.

That of course would be the extremely obvious giveaway that Dennis Shirk might have been hinting at. After you have researched a certain tech or build a certain building your Wine tiles would produce Port as well as Wine. And it would be one of those flavor-but-not-very-powerful additions, like Carthage being able to cross mountains.

Fixed that.

I hope that "linked" means that they just happen to be brought to the game in the same expansion pack, and not an actual resource that is more useful to one civ than to others (or worse, a UA that requires that resource). It seems kind of lame unless they did this with many resources (ex: France uses wine better than other civs). Otherwise, eh, kindda clashes to have a civ that hunts for one resource. It's always gonna be in its darn starting location anyway I bet.

I hope that "linked" means that they just happen to be brought to the game in the same expansion pack, and not an actual resource that is more useful to one civ than to others (or worse, a UA that requires that resource). It seems kind of lame unless they did this with many resources (ex: France uses wine better than other civs). Otherwise, eh, kindda clashes to have a civ that hunts for one resource. It's always gonna be in its darn starting location anyway I bet.

It wasn't clear. The only thing he said was that he couldn't reveal the new resource, because it would give away one of the new civs they weren't talking about yet. Presumably if the resource is integral to the civ, they won't leave it to chance whether the civ starts near it. I would think it would be more like the rumors about the Dutch before G&K came out, when it was thought that the Polder would itself provide a unique Tulip resource.

Assuming they are actually linked in terms of gameplay, as opposed to a new civ simply suggesting a new resource to them and them deciding to throw it in. For example, maybe they decided to add the Phoenicians for the Trade Route bonus, thought about Phoenician history and thought murex would be a neat addition, put it in, and then realized they can't tell us about the murex without giving away that they had the Phoenicians in mind when they added it. It might not be necessary that the Phoenicians (or whoever) have any special relationship with the murex (or whatever) in-game. I don't think we really know yet how "linked" they are.

But that's already arabia's UA and I'm sure there will be no massive changes, based on historical examples in these games

Considering that France's ability has changed not only in substance but name, I don't think this is true any more.

I suppose they could really throw us a curveball and make it myrrh/Nabataea. That would be completely unexpected, but a neat idea. Except that their capital is already a Wonder of the World, which would be weird.

Indonesia's famous for making batik textiles.

There's an exhibit on batik at the San Francisco Asian Art Museum.
The statue of Ashurbinapal is on SFAAM property.
There art a couple terra cotta warriors at the SFAAM right now.

Indonesia confirmed. GG guys

Top Bottom