Worth playing or not?

Jlowe22

Chieftain
I loved SMAC, loved Civ4, loved Galciv 2, currently loving Civ5. I basically want SMAC except updated and improved. I think Civ5 was done really well, and I wouldn't mind sci fi Civ5. I hate a game being too easy though, and I've heard BE is way too easy. I can overlook some minor things as long as it's challenging. I don't really min max anything, but I do find a good challenge at civ 5s highest difficulties.

I basically want SMAC except updated and improved.
Then this is not the game for you. It's a fun game on its own merit, but it has little to nothing in common with SMAC, gameplay-wise.

I basically want SMAC except updated and improved.
I think Civ5 was done really well, and I wouldn't mind sci fi Civ5.
On the other hand, you may end up liking Beyond Earth. It will likely depend on which of these sentiment are stronger.

Beyond Earth is not trying to be SMAC 2.0. Going in expecting that will leave you disappointed. But if you like Civ5 and want more Civ5 but in space! than you may enjoy it.

Depending on your risk tolerance you may want to grab Beyond Earth when it goes on sale. Or if you just want to keep your powder dry for Civ6 (if you're looking forward to that).

And there's a demo available, too.

Yes check that demo. Overall it's a brighter view of humanity on another planet than SMAC. But well worth picking up when on sale as I did. I haven't got RT though as waiting for that to drop.

The tech web is a thing of beauty. Shame they are not implementing it in Civ6.

I recommend the Social engineering and culture revamp and The Unity Project: SMAC factions mods.

If you loved SMAC you will love this game for sure! Not ideal, but worth playing it much hours!

What about difficulty and AI? I've heard it's not at all challenging, but are there mods that improve the difficulty and/or AI behavior?

Just played my first Soyuz game and won - it was challenging though because the AI is able to build a huge military and actually leads coordinated attacks against your cities. I lost one of my three major cities and had to massively improve my army to fend them off.

However in my experience the AI is pretty terrible at pursuing the different victories. So even though Soyuz and Apollo are challenging you can't really lose if you play defense.

What about difficulty and AI? I've heard it's not at all challenging, but are there mods that improve the difficulty and/or AI behavior?
Without access to Beyond Earth's DLL there are limits on what mod makers can do to the AI. Echoes of Earth does make the game harder but mostly does that by making the Health system and Energy maintenance put pressure on the player.

If you don't seek Deep-Blue level opponent stripped of any bonuses, and wouldn't mind somewhat dumb but menacing AIs, then challenge is a thing you can adjust yourself. Start with Apollo difficulty, choose small map with plenty of water, add AIs to the maximum. If not enough, start combining them in teams. Piss off natives at the very start of the game. If still not enough, introduce self-handicaps, for example, no hybrid upgrades for basic units, or no early something-per-agreement traits. More experienced players will suggest more.

If you don't seek Deep-Blue level opponent stripped of any bonuses, and wouldn't mind somewhat dumb but menacing AIs, then challenge is a thing you can adjust yourself. Start with Apollo difficulty, choose small map with plenty of water, add AIs to the maximum. If not enough, start combining them in teams. Piss off natives at the very start of the game. If still not enough, introduce self-handicaps, for example, no hybrid upgrades for basic units, or no early something-per-agreement traits. More experienced players will suggest more.

Yes, I can also wear a blindfold while playing or turn my monitor off. I know what you're saying, and there are plenty of ways to make anything challenging, though I prefer having a challenge while utilizing everything in my power.

Yes, I can also wear a blindfold while playing or turn my monitor off. I know what you're saying, and there are plenty of ways to make anything challenging, though I prefer having a challenge while utilizing everything in my power.

Check the 4X title Pandora: Eclipse of Nashira. It's inspired by SMAC and CiV, but has simpler rules. As a consequence, just one motivated AI developer with the help of top MP players was able, over the course of approx. one year, to up the AI exactly to your standard. Believe it or not, pandoran AI is really strong. They had to rename difficulty levels. There is (or rather was when the game was more active) a constant forum howl from players spoiled by easy wins in other 4X titles. Said AI developer had to repeatedly assure that AI has no crutches on difficulties Normal and below. If you manage to break Pandora - write on its Steam forum, and chances are the breach will be patched.
Edit: orthography.

Check the 4X title Pandora: Eclipse of Nashira. It's inspired by SMAC and CiV, but has simpler rules. As a consequence, just one motivated AI developer with the help of top MP players was able, over the course of approx. one year, to up the AI exactly to your standard. Believe it or not, pandoran AI is really strong. They had to rename difficulty levels. There is (or rather was when the game was more active) a constant forum howl from players spoiled by easy wins in other 4X titles. Said AI developer had to repeatedly assure that AI has no crutches on difficulties Normal and below. If you manage to break Pandora - write on its Steam forum, and chances are the breach will be patched.
Edit: orthography.

Interesting, I haven't heard of this game for some reason.

Apollo - is a hard level of AI, not so easy to win the game. Just sitting in the defense and improving the tech tree it isn't the way, because AI has much better benefits from the start and for sure will defeat the player by quantity of own units.
But Soyuz difficulty is really nothing, much easier. So the game needs the middle difficulty between the Apollo and Soyuz.

Interesting, I haven't heard of this game for some reason.

IMHO, unjustly little known title. Emerged prior to BE. Not very creative, true (for example, factions are almost direct SMAC rip-offs), but entirely playable. Interesting economic model, especially pop growth. Focused on warfare a little more than BE, at least defensive (AI will certainly not allow you sit without defense and invest everything in development, and correctly executed conquests will help your development). Clever concept of so called operations (for example, field repair, orbital drop, orbital bombardment). Neat UI. Unit designer. Randomized tech-tree. Powerful aliens' invasion mid-game. Runs on Windows, Mac, and Linux. And there is no 1UPT! Really cheap on Steam sales. Just don't buy basic game, Pandora: First Contact, it hasn't upgraded AI.

Oh snap! It's Ryika! I love your Awesome mods. I just started playing with all of them on Apollo Legacy with Al Falah. I really like the changes you did to Al Falah. :p
Glad to hear people are still playing with these mods. :)

IMHO, unjustly little known title. Emerged prior to BE. Not very creative, true (for example, factions are almost direct SMAC rip-offs), but entirely playable. Interesting economic model, especially pop growth. Focused on warfare a little more than BE, at least defensive (AI will certainly not allow you sit without defense and invest everything in development, and correctly executed conquests will help your development). Clever concept of so called operations (for example, field repair, orbital drop, orbital bombardment). Neat UI. Unit designer. Randomized tech-tree. Powerful aliens' invasion mid-game. Runs on Windows, Mac, and Linux. And there is no 1UPT! Really cheap on Steam sales. Just don't buy basic game, Pandora: First Contact, it hasn't upgraded AI.
Don't forget to mention that it has tons and tons and tons and tons and tons and tons and tons and tons and tons and tons and tons and tons and tons and tons and tons and tons and tons of micro-management.

Whether that's good or bad depends on the player. :D

Glad to hear people are still playing with these mods. :)

Don't forget to mention that it has tons and tons and tons and tons and tons and tons and tons and tons and tons and tons and tons and tons and tons and tons and tons and tons and tons of micro-management.

Whether that's good or bad depends on the player. :D

Thanks for your Awesome Collection, it (and Siege Range Plus) is a inherent part of my BERT for long!
Not sure what micro-management you mean. The only major distinction between Pandora and BE in this regard that I can think of is manual population job assignment. And even that can be substantially alleviated by locking specific jobs. Operations have to be manually applied, but this is unavoidable and not so bad after all. Not remember if there is an option for units auto-design, but even manually that's not a thing worth mentioning.

Top Bottom