Meet the Modders

I'm glad that there is still interest in this thread.

I enjoyed seeing Kyriakos, Ares, and Steph's pictures (although I already knew what you three looked like!)
Here's a picture of me. :)

You're the one with the brown ribbon, right? :p

People never look the way you imagine them.

Still one of my fav pictures ever.

Spoiler :

No it's not a shoop. He's real. And very charming in person.

He liked my shirt. I bought it because it had his name on it. So he singed it.

Who's the other gentleman, Wyrmshadow?

I usually don't like standing still for the camera. Here's one of me in Alaska last fall that I can tolerate:
Spoiler :

Not sure what people want to know as far as the meat puppet's history:
Spoiler :
My grandmother used to say that we were a family of black sheep. Today I think we're all black swans & white crows

I played Pong when it was state of the art. At 53 I was just made one of the lead game designers for the start-up where I'm employed. It's my first position outside academia. I think half the reason they hired me is so that there's someone over 35 at meetings with clients & venture capitalists.

Vocation: Semiotician. Favorite reading material: SF. Favorite music: Blues. Favorite games: Chess, Pinochle, Civ. Politics: Anarcho-Syndicalist. Spiritual path: jazz magician.

Blue, I somehow thought you still had some red hair... this is proof enough that semiotics is all that is needed in order to lie.
:joke:

Hmmm, after looking through all of these, aside from the Guardian, I am the oldest one posting, as I turned 59 in October of 2010, and my daughter is counting down the days until I hit 60, so I can qualify for all of the senior discounts. I get enough of them already.

I grew up in the south suburbs of Chicago, and graduated with a bachelor's in history from Western Illinois University in Macomb, Illinois, where I was also in ROTC. I was commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant, US Army in March of 1975, so became a gentleman by Act of Congress. My Army career was spent in Virginia at Fort Lee, Fort Richardson in Alaska (ask me about what is it like to be out in 62 below zero Fahrenheit straight cold), and Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington, D.C. Retired for medical disability in July of 1978, as a 1st Lieutenant. I am intimately familiar with 24 hour a day pain.

Since my involuntary retirement, I have done a variety of things, including being a seminary student, with the equivalent of a Master of Art in Religion, never did finish the thesis due to some other issues. I have worked with several game companies on designing board games, and knew most of the staff at TSR in Lake Geneva, prior to it being purchased by Wizards of the Coast. I worked for the Marines in 1991 during the First Gulf War as a consultant, along with working for Channel 5 TV in Chicago. I do periodic work for various government groups in the area of weapon effects and terminal ballistics. I also have served on the Marine Forensics Panel as the weapons effects, explosions, and explosives expert.

In politics, I am a conservative Republican, religion an evangelical Christian. My favorite authors are Tolkien, C. S. Lewis (both the Narnia series and his Christian essays), and a wide range of classic science fiction and fantasy authors. I regard current TV programming as a serious insult to my intelligence, but am an avid fan of the original Star Trek series. My taste in music is the Russian composers, classic American rock, along with a wide range of other categories, including BAGPIPES.

Since 2003, I have worked with the Center for Gifted in Skokie, Illinois, working in their gifted student programs, where I use historical board games to teach history, and for the past two years, a class in Game Design as well.

My interests in reading are pretty much anything dealing with history, be it cookbooks, weather, agriculture, clothing, and of course, military history. My personal library is something over 3000 books, and several file cabinets full of photocopies from a wide range of sources including many trips to the US National Archives. I never was much of an athlete, and have always been viewed as a brainiac. My first computer class was in 1968, and my first computer was a Mac Plus. I am a dedicated Mac user, but strayed to the Dark Side (i.e. Windows) to edit Civ3. My interest in military history dates from reading Sir Winston Churchill's History of World War 2 when I was 9. My military history library starts with the Sumerians and carries on to the present day. I do find reading about WW One land warfare to be more than a little boring, although the naval aspects are quite fascinating.

I am married, since 1975, with one son buried at Fort Sheridan, Illinois, a son of 20 (as of December 27th) presently attending the Milwaukee School of Engineering as a Computer Science major, and a daughter of nearly 18, a high school senior, who is thinking of nursing. I have traveled a bit, having been in about 40 of the 50 states, with two trips to England, several to Canada, and then Australia, New Zealand (the Auckland Air Port), and the Solomon Islands. I have done several cruises in the Caribbean, with another on tap in March of 2011.

My major claim to fame is working with Dr. Robert Ballard, the man who found the Titanic, in locating John F. Kennedy's PT-109, in the Solomon Islands in the South Pacific in May of 2002. If you see the Search for PT-109 video on any of the history channels, I am the guy that identifies the wreck. The one photo is of me in 2002 staring at side scan sonar screens, sorting out valid bottom targets. The other is of me and Bob after finding the wreck.

I am presently in the process of purchasing a retired 180 foot US Coast Guard cutter to take back to the Solomon Islands to locate more WW2 wrecks, and then use as a research ship for charter. Might do some other things with it as well. The ship I am looking at is at the following link.

http://marcon.com/marcon2s.cfm?SectionGroupsID=20&PageID=8&Action=Detail&File=MC18038

Attachments

• Sonar Stare 72 Crop.jpg
    Sonar Stare 72 Crop.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 95
  • Bob and Me Crop1.jpg
    Bob and Me Crop1.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 87
Stalker's comment:What's wrong with stalking?

well since someone likes to post images.... This is the first picture I've had of myself since August.

Spoiler :

I'm in the middle, duh. The guy on the left is a friend I had not seen in 17 years, he just came back from the South Pole. The other guy is a friend of his he hadn't seen in 10 years but I didn't know him. Guess who knows how to hold their liquor?
This picture was also taken 2 days after my 30th birthday. No one remembered.

Top Bottom