Delta_Strife's Ship Units

Hmm I would easily say at least 1/3 of the time. The first model was a huge learning curve and I learned a great deal from the mistakes I made on the first which cost me a lot of time to fix. The next one should be even faster because of I have good selection of materials and textures now which is what slowed me down on this model. However, I will slow down because I go back to work soon but does not mean I will stop.

The next thing I would like to do is animate my second model myself because Tom2050 is super busy and I do not want to over burden him with requests to animate my stuff. But I need to figure that out first. So that will take me some time. Unless someone would like to help with that process. I looked at the animation tutorial for civ 3 units in blender but it looked terrible when I attempted it. I might try exporting the model into bryce and giving that a go because Wyrmshadow has some great tutorials. Does anyone have suggestions on easy ways to animate this for a beginner?

Less is more

Don't try to do everything at once. Too many actions will make it look cartoony. Its a large heavy ship, so make all the actions smooth and slow.

Hello Wyrmshadow,

So you are referring to when I animate the firing of the guns or the when the ship is moving? So if I understand what you are saying is for example if I rotate the guns too fast than it will look very cartoony?

And if you make the ship bounce around a lot when it's moving. Just no sudden movements. Learning how to animate has the same learning curve as modeling, just another hill to climb.

Wrymshadow I have a couple of questions for you. How can I scale my ship so it matches up to the scale that you use? Second question is my deck texture does not transfer well into bryce. So when I apply the plank texture that comes with Bryce that planks run in the wrong from side to side instead of the length wise. How do I correct that?

Wrymshadow I have a couple of questions for you. How can I scale my ship so it matches up to the scale that you use? Second question is my deck texture does not transfer well into bryce. So when I apply the plank texture that comes with Bryce that planks run in the wrong from side to side instead of the length wise. How do I correct that?

If you have a single large image of a full deck you'd like to apply to the object, select 1 Object Top projection.

Then you can rotate it in 2,3.

If you have a PATTERN of a deck plan you'd like to use and repeat it throughout the object. Select 1 OBJECT CUBIC for the projection. Then use the size editor (2) to change how large the pattern is.

Thanks for the help Wrymshadow the model now looks a lot better in Bryce. My next question is what is the best method for producing an animated gif of my animation work? I want to post a preview before I make unit so I can have some feedback and fix stuff.

Here is how the model looks in Bryce with Civcolour.

I don't remember the exact number in my head but I'm sure I wrote it somewhere on TOM'S ship thread.

Find my Bismark and count how many pixels long it is. Then divide that number into the actual length of the ship. That is my scale. I can't help you more than that because I am currently mobile.

Wyrshadow now worries about being mobile! I found the Bismarck it is 166 pixels so the overall length was 251 meters so the is 1.512 meters per pixel. So if the Charlemagne was 117.5 meters than my ship needs to be 77 pixels in length.

I also put a lower limit on ships that would be too small use your best guess if u think its not enough. Also I use feet.

The exact number I got was 4.98ft/pix or 1.5179m/pix. so you were close. Your angle loos about right so I'm assuming you're using the same camera settings I've used in the past. If you want to make the ship larger, just change the zoom, don't move the camera closer to the object.

Top Bottom