Delta_Strife's Ship Units

Good news, tom! Steel beasts are always welcome (and I know you two have a lot more up your sleeve). :) Took me a lot of tweaking (and the help of EJ) to make the AI build lots of ships, so bring 'em on.

Hope you don't mind, but I retextured the ship. The textures didn't come through in the .obj or .3ds files... the image files IIRC are seperate from the .obj/3ds files; so it reverted to ambient colors which don't look that great. Never-the-less, it didn't take too long.. should be able to animate it tomorrow.

Gloire class cruiser

Anything specific you prefer for civ color?

Hope you don't mind, but I retextured the ship. The textures didn't come through in the .obj or .3ds files... the image files IIRC are seperate from the .obj/3ds files; so it reverted to ambient colors which don't look that great. Never-the-less, it didn't take too long.. should be able to animate it tomorrow.

Gloire class cruiser

Anything specific you prefer for civ color?

That looks MIGHTY fine :goodjob:

-Oz

On a unrelated note the Danton is nearing completion as far as modelling goes. However, I need some opinions. All that is really missing now is the 16 75mm guns that are mounted in the hull. But I am wondering if I should put them in. I am pretty sure they will not be visible on civ level. Here is a photo of what is done. Let me know what you think and if I missed anything else.

Looking great! As to the seventy-fivers, I'd put them in, but wouldn't animate them. Adds to the detail in the civpedia pic at least. But it's your decision. :)

By the way, since Tom seems to have found a nice way to improve the textures, maybe he wants to share his experiences with you for even better looks? I love how this little fleet is growing.

Anytime Kyriakos! ;) or if you figure out a quick way to do nice hull textures in bryce I will take that as well.

On a different note finally have time tonight to sit down and finish modelling the Danton. If my kitten will leave me alone for a few hours lol. I also found some plans for the Marceau class! That brings up the total number of ships I can do. Currently sitting looking a 4 page list in word wondering how I will ever work my way through all that. I think this will be a long project. :D

By the way, since Tom seems to have found a nice way to improve the textures, maybe he wants to share his experiences with you for even better looks? I love how this little fleet is growing.

I made a quick uvw map (a very simple one that is); I have never used blender so I'm not sure how it works things, but I did d/l it to check it out, but it's quite foreign to me. Alot of it is really just familiarizing oneself with the whole program; for me I found it's often best to do online tuturials (written, or youtube, etc) to learn new techniques since they often walk one through how to do things. Then you can experiment and learn. There seems to be plenty of texturing tuturials for blender. I had to do the same thing, it took me weeks at first (long ago) to figure out what a texture even was back then. :lol:

EDIT:

Wasn't able to get it done tonight! Hopefully this weekend.

I thought it might be a Uvw map by the look of it and it can be done in blender. However I find once I take the model from blender and put it in bryce the textures look like crap so I redo them. I just throw some "paint" on quickly in blender so I know what I have to texture in bryce.

Blenders controls are a little backwards to other modelling programs I have noticed but I really like it and it makes building a model really easy I find. Like Tom suggested I learned by watching a few youtube tutorials on building a the blender logo and a pop can. But animation forget it, I find that easier in bryce. I used wyrms tutorials and his help to do the animation in bryce.

Success the cat left me alone and the Danton is done being modelled. It has its "paint" job and is ready for the Bryce side of the operation. If I can get the size right tonight I will post a preview of it in game.

Tom, my suggestion on the run animation is to have the smoke already at full steam, rather than building up to it. Looks more seamless in game than constantly building up smoke from nothing.

There got the size the way I like it. Still looks smaller than HMS Dreadnought which it is supposed to by 15 meters in real life. Only the default animation is done should have the rest done by Saturday I hope.

Top Bottom