New unit - Rail gun.

hansix

Chieftain
Hi!

Just watched one of those great war documentaties at Discovery Europe, and thought of a new unit that would be really cool i CIV3.

A Rail Gun used to bombard unit and cities, would be like a battleship on rail.

Other things that would be cool would be the ability to create fortifications, not those pesky fortifications that can be created in CIV3 and before, but fortififications that spans borders, like the magino line in france (think its spelled magino :))

Regards,
/Hans

i created a long line of forts along my border with the egyptians, it looked really good, until we went to war, they continually punched at one bit, it collapsed, the wall became over strethced and everyone retreated back to save the citys. but it held for 12 turns which was nice. :D

I think the idea of rail gun is pretty cool. They were used during WWI and II, primarily by the Germans I think.

As for forts, I like to build long chains of them along mountains and hills (to enhance their defensive bonus), but ultimately no fort can hold back a determined foe forever. They only exist to buy you time to build up your forces to go on the offensive. After all, no one ever won a war by going on the defensive.

I think he's talking about "Big Bertha" style cannons mounted on rail cars, not the magnetic 'railguns' like in science fiction. I agree with you though, either type of 'railgun' would be cool.

Could'nt someone create one, I for one do not have the skills to draw objects that resemble something, least not a Rail gun.

And yes, I ment the rail guns the Germans had during WWII, that they for exemple used against the Soviets, and their strongholds.

Other cool units that would be neat are, a "saddam" style unmovable cannon, like the one he tries to build to shoot from Irak to Israel, but did'nt succeed in completing.

Regards,
/Hans

Originally posted by Ed O'War
I think he's talking about "Big Bertha" style cannons mounted on rail cars, not the magnetic 'railguns' like in science fiction. I agree with you though, either type of 'railgun' would be cool.

Not sci-fi, the US Army is working on a design as we speak. It's the same sort of principle as mag-lev trains.

What Wille mis speaking of that works like Mag-lev trains is called a coil gun and not a rail gun. It consists of a series of magnets that use the same polarization to induce push therefor increasing the rate of travel of the object through magnetics. This #1 is not known to be in development by any country and if the army was studying I don't think (no offense) willem would be the one to find out about a project, usch as military ones, that are held under tight vial and cover. #2, its only a theory and has not been actually proven to work since a wokring model would need about a near 1 mile of barrel ot produce the velocity required to be classified as either Rail or coil gun.

Originally posted by Scipio Africanu
What Wille mis speaking of that works like Mag-lev trains is called a coil gun and not a rail gun. It consists of a series of magnets that use the same polarization to induce push therefor increasing the rate of travel of the object through magnetics. This #1 is not known to be in development by any country and if the army was studying I don't think (no offense) willem would be the one to find out about a project, usch as military ones, that are held under tight vial and cover. #2, its only a theory and has not been actually proven to work since a wokring model would need about a near 1 mile of barrel ot produce the velocity required to be classified as either Rail or coil gun.

Rail gun is another name for it. And I read an article about it on CNN.com. Still very much experimental, but hardly sci-fi. In fact there's been talk about it for quite sometime now. I recall reading quite awhile ago, at least 15 years now, of a hypothetical plan for building one on the moon in order to shoot raw materials into space to build ships etc. It's not a perfected technology by any means, but there is work being done on it.

That's Maginot Line. You're both wrong. So there.

Oh, and btw, it was USELESS! Pie in the Sky! Complete waste of money! The Germans cheated and went through Belgium (again) thus coming down behind it...

The Berta was not a Railgun in purest sense. Actually, some were fitted on Railroads while others had a chassis like other Artillery Pieces. It was classifies as Heavy Artillery (well, with a bore of 420 mm...).

The first pure Railgun was the Dora, which was used by the Germans to bomb Sevastopol in 1942. With a bore of 800 mm, it exceeded the size of even the largest naval cannons and it had a range of 47 km. The downsides were a very low accuracy (of the 48 fired shells, which comprised the whole ammunition loadout, the nearest impact was 60 meters away from the designated impact, the farthest was 740 meters) and a long reload time (45 minutes... what does one expect, if one shell weights 7.1 metric tons).

It would be interesting to know, how this could be translated in game terms. What I am wondering about is: can a unit with 0 movementpoints still move on railroads, or are there other ways to restrict such a unit to railroad movement only?

Originally posted by DarkEvent

all the links at this page are brocken :(

There were a lot more sites where that came from. Just do a search in Google, that's where I found it.

Originally posted by wilboman

Oh, and btw, it was USELESS! Pie in the Sky! Complete waste of money! The Germans cheated and went through Belgium (again) thus coming down behind it...

I agree the Germans did cheat.;) They cheated a lot. They still do. I was playing poker with one the other day. He cheats.:) No offense to you Germans out there. In WW1 they used chemical warfare. Then they went through Belgium too.

hehe did you know they are now defeloping a railgun for tanks it shoots a 1/2 meter strange looking shell at 2km a second. Watch the history chanelle more

Top Bottom