EnclosedSpace Mapscript Discussion

Okay, I've updated the first post with a MOO2Civ patch4k directory that you should just be able to zip into Beyond the Sword\Mods and overwrite the existing one.

I also forced the name of the city created in the barrier region to be "Antares".

Cool! Thanks for the update. :thumbsup:

EDIT I'm sorry, but I still get stuck on initialization... :( Perhaps you should make this an official modmod; it would be invaluable to get some actual player feedback except mine, plus it seems like the perfect base to start a scenario from.

Thought of another thing (don't know if it makes sense): could it be OS related (I'm using Vista) or that the mapscript doesn't work consistently?:confused:

Possibly. I'm an XP user myself.

What I'll do is try deleting my existing MOO2Civ folder, reinstalling it from a fresh download, and unzipping the folder I've attached here over it, and then try it repeatedly on all mapsizes.

If that all works, then I would suggest you try a similar process. If it doesn't work then... then third-party testers are needed.

I redownloaded, reinstalled, reapplied the package in the first post, and ran a series of tests where everything worked fine.

I'd suggest that you download your own mod ( :) ) and try the same thing. If it doesn't work, then I don't know what's going on here.

third-party testers are needed.

I asked Zippadeedoodah to check and he confirms it works. (He also noted - because I know it should work, because one of the versions did - that the Antaran space wasn't completely sealed off. I noticed this too on one or two occasions that I did have a chance to look at the loaded mapscript. I also noticed this doesn't happen consistently; sometimes the space is completely sealed off, sometimes not.) Anyway, I'll try again, as I really like this to be included in patch4l. ;)

BTW, I notice from your sig you've been busy lately.:goodjob:

I asked Zippadeedoodah to check and he confirms it works. (He also noted - because I know it should work, because one of the versions did - that the Antaran space wasn't completely sealed off. I noticed this too on one or two occasions that I did have a chance to look at the loaded mapscript. I also noticed this doesn't happen consistently; sometimes the space is completely sealed off, sometimes not.) Anyway, I'll try again, as I really like this to be included in patch4l. ;)

I'll look at why the space isn't being completely sealed off.

BTW, I notice from your sig you've been busy lately.:goodjob:

I have been busy, although I haven't been doing as much modding as I was lately. There are a few things I've been working on but have not yet had the time to polish up or need help with- one thing I've been trying to figure out is how to make Worldbuilder work better for Final Frontier by letting you add and remove solar systems properly.

... - one thing I've been trying to figure out is how to make Worldbuilder work better for Final Frontier by letting you add and remove solar systems properly.

Hm - that's been bugging me since I started with MOO2Civ...

I've uploaded MOO2Civ 4l beta here: http://jump.fm/OSCVE (so you can check if the mapscript works with the upcoming version, which I'm MP testing today; Enclosed Space is included as is).

BTW, the file in post #1 now doesn't actually have a mapscript in it. (PrivateMaps folder is empty.)

I've checked the beta version a couple of times on a Huge map: enclosed space shows up, but with a row of nebula tiles missing and there's no system or ships in it.

I've fixed the bugs (hopefully) and reuploaded the mapscript. All of these were tested with Patch 4k, not 4l, though, and the files in the upload are from my version of Patch 4k (which just adds EnclosedSpace and Portals in)- and the folder is still called "Patch 4k".

Changes in this version are:

-Fixed bug where the row of nebula on the edge of the map was not generated, thus placing a hole in the barrier.
-Forced a solar system to appear in the enclosed space (as the generator didn't always put one there).
-Prevented radiation clouds, asteroids, or nebula from appearing inside the enclosed space (so the fractal generator can't fill the enclosed space full of radiation clouds before the solar system and portal are placed). Nebula still appear outside.

OK, I've uploaded the mapscript as a patch4k add-on here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=13316.

---

NOTE: I still can't get it to work with my current test version (4l beta), which we tried to test Multiplayer style yesterday with a Large size map. (Init got stuck on the host's side, so we couldn't actually check how it looked or worked. That may not be caused by the mapscript though, as we couldn't start without it either...) With the FF Worldbuilder beta you uploaded this may also not really be a problem, I think: great work on that one! :thumbsup:

Well, more or less: I've tried the mapscript with my current beta and it creates Antares w/units. Only glitch is that it left a top row of tiles free of nebula. No biggie, as using your FF Worldbuilder utility I closed the gap and now have a set up for a first MOO2Civ scenario including Antares. (I intend to include it with the upcoming MOO2Civ 4 l upload.) So things are definitely looking up! ;)

Weird. I was considering stacking the map full of print statements to see exactly where it was hanging for you. Evidently it worked at least once?

Thought I fixed the nebula error, but glad to hear you got it working as a scenario!

Hm, well I posted a comment on the FF worldbuilder utility thread saying I couldn't really edit it, so my announcement(s) may have been premature. At any rate I'll try and see if I can get a basic scenario working for the upcoming patch.

I've noticed some other oddities with the mapscript: wormholes and supernova's appearing too close to star systems (shots taken from my current beta, but I saw it with patch4k as well)

Attachments

• Enc 10000.JPG
    Enc 10000.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 205
  • Enc 20000.JPG
    Enc 20000.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 214
Well, I think (though I don't have the script in front of me right now) that that is the minimum distance from feature to feature. Normally, the game doesn't have to pack them in that tightly. But since I've turned a lot of plots into a bunch of nebula, a solar system, and wormhole... the game has to pack them in tightly. So I could reduce the numbers of Supernovas, Black Holes, and decrease the amount of Nebula, Radiation Clouds, and Asteroids to try and fix this.

Isn't there a parameter for the closest distance where a nova/nebula might appear from a star system? Or is there a fixed number that needs to be placed on a particular map size? (I usually choose Huge map size, which would suggest the latter judging from the screenies, but I don't really know.)

I've noticed another issue with the mapscript: Saved Games don't load as should be: 5,000 points are added to each civ's score or even all star system features are gone. (With patch4k; with patch 4l the Enclosed Space shows up OK, but no Antares system or units.)

Top Bottom