Northeast Asian City Styles

I think that in the civIII city gfx creators the saying is true that you have "two people and three different opinions". We currently have three, but at least four styles :D

I've heard that saying, but it was about economists.

Everybody should have their own style and if they can produce two styles that's even better.:banana:

Everybody should have their own style and if they can produce two styles that's even better.:banana:
Couldn't agree more. And I'd add that Ogedei is also to be commended for the decision to create work outside his customary era.

Couldn't agree more. And I'd add that Ogedei is also to be commended for the decision to create work outside his customary era.

"Variety is the spice of Civ" -- or life; whatever :mischief:

2nd era for Tamna. Some of the houses will be changed a bit more to incorporate features of mainland-style architecture. Also will add Gwandeokjeong pavillion somewhere, too. For the Seongjucheong in the center, I decided to go with a green roof to set it a bit apart from the regular Korean set and also because paintings of Korean architecture left over from the Goryeo period depict some halls having green-glazed roof tiles.

Attachments

• tamnamiddle3.png
    tamnamiddle3.png
    27.8 KB · Views: 54
Knowing a very little about east asian architecture, I don't go into the discussion, but the same to Stico. :)

The bits of color from the trees & pond/fountain, and the variety of roofs should look very good in game. I'm not sure if Tamna used anything like feng shui, but the organic layout of the buildings suggests an appreciation of natural patterns. Everything works well together, imho.

Tamna was a highly animistic culture and thus had a very profound respect for the natural forces. Even in the present, the remnants of Jeju Island's shamanic practitioners still maintain shrines deep in the woods or up on wooded hillsides. With this set, the purpose was to attempt to give the city layout a more natural look while avoiding unnecessary clutter. :)

Attachments

• tamnamiddle3b.png
    tamnamiddle3b.png
    28.8 KB · Views: 56
Tamna was a highly animistic culture and thus had a very profound respect for the natural forces. Even in the present, the remnants of Jeju Island's shamanic practitioners still maintain shrines deep in the woods or up on wooded hillsides. With this set, the purpose was to attempt to give the city layout a more natural look while avoiding unnecessary clutter. :)
Knowing that ... Maybe a little shifting in the row of buildings at the rear (upper left) is called for. Wouldn't take much to get rid of the laser-line look. Don't even need to change the orientation. Just move one or two a little in or out. Just a suggestion.

Something like this?

Attachments

• tamnamiddle3c.png
    tamnamiddle3c.png
    29.1 KB · Views: 47
Wasn't satisfied with the brightness so I did a little more tweaking as well as added some stone details. Wouldn't be Jeju Island without the rocks! ;)

Attachments

• tamnamiddle3b.png
    tamnamiddle3b.png
    19 KB · Views: 48
Looks like there is a loss of contrast between the green roofs & surrounding items in this version. While the brighter colors are good the lost contrast may make the details harder to distinguish. Can't tell for sure without an in-game screenshot.

Normally, I use Ares' terrain, which features darker colors. It might stand out more with his terrain set, but if it doesn't, then I'll simply revert to the standard dark gray roof.

The irregular shape of the city was to give it a less grid-like look, which was not really applicable to ancient Tamna for geographical and geomantic reasons; this one in particular was arranged to somewhat mimic the constellation Ursa Major as was the case in 6th century Jeju City.

Anyway, I've been thinking about how to do a new Chinese city set based on the layout of Tang Dynasty era Luoyang, but I'm still in the process of new experimenting with creating roofs.

Top Bottom