SCENARIO: American Civil War Full-Release Version

Did you enjoy playing this scenario?

• Yes, this is one of the best ever, please send it to Firaxis.

Votes: 62 39.5%
  • Yes, this scenario is well-made.

Votes: 26 16.6%
  • Yes, but improvements could be made.

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • I cannot vote at this time.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • No, I didn't really like it.

Votes: 11 7.0%

• Total voters
I've added Custom Unit Graphics Downloads to the Scenario Index. The custom graphics can be found there for download. Some of the .zip's have more than one unit packaged together.

They should be ready for download in a few minutes, I'm uploading them now.

Do you know what's funny? I just finished making the save file where the home guards and garrisons were fortified, and just found out 2.11 was out! I'm working on it now.

LOL

Well, 2.11 was uploaded mainly as a bug fix, though I did include a few other changes into it as well. As stated before, no major version updates are in the works right now.

I'll add your link to the front page. :)

Edit: Ok, saved game for Union is on the front page, so people can download it if they choose. I gave you credit for creating it as well. :)

Anyone else having trouble with the HUGE amount of time inbetween turns? Maybe my system just sucks.

833Mhz Pentium Celeron with 393MB SDRAM running XP Pro
About 5 Minutes between turns

Oh yeah, what happened to the sound on the ships? I can't hear anything when they attack.

I'm not aware of anyone else having quite that much time between turns.

I would suggest turning off enemy animations and movement, which should speed up the AI considerably.

Your system also isn't that high...the average Celeron processor I believe is 10 to 15% slower than a Pentium III, so that could be part of it too.

Many scenarios on this forum have even larger wait times between turns. However, I'll look into it and see if I can find a way to speed things up. Ideally, I'd prefer the wait to be 2 to 3 minutes maximum.

Sound on the ships...I don't know what could be wrong there, I'll look into it.

One problem with the save I posted. It seems that I set the editor to Week 24 1862, and I'm not even sure of the week. Everything else should be okay, but what week should I make the saves start at?

I'd go with anywhere between Week 24 and Week 27. Week 24 sounds good to me. Year should be 1861.

When you post the correction, I'll update the front page.

Nice to see that the scenario is getting more positive votes in the poll. Do people really think the scenario is THAT good? :)

Yes, they do. The only problem is that it takes SO LONG! But that's okay, it makes it realistic.

Well, be glad I didn't go with regimental size for the regular army units! :)

I'm going to continue to look for ways to speed the scenario up. I'm at least glad that its not 15+ minutes between turns and 2+ hours of loading time like other scenarios on this forum.

If anyone has any suggestions to improve the speed of scenario turns or loading time, please post.

I've just downloaded some 150 custom units with my 56k. My phonebill is propably enormous.:cry:

Could you edit the 'download custom units' post that there would be original unit names with credits (who made the unit) so people like me, who already have at least some of the unis know what units to download. :)

Thanks in advance,

ukas

I tried playing despite the slowness and after about five turns, the game sat there doing nothing for about 15 minutes. This was with animations off. I didn't see anything happening at all. Not any movement, just a 'Please Wait' at the bottom of the screen.

I guess my computer sucks. :(

I was actually really looking forward to playing this. I'll keep watching the thread to see if any improvements have been made on improving the speed. But chances are it's a problem at my end, and not anything to do with the scenario.

Ukas, I'll go back through tomorrow or Sunday and do that. I had forgot to write down who made what unit when I downloaded them, as not all of them had a readme file.

DivineImpact, I've not heard of anyone having such a lengthy wait between turns like that before.

I'll work on the scenario tomorrow or Sunday, and see if I can get the speed reduced somehow.

Is there any difference in speed when playing on Civ3 vs. playing it on PTW?

Again, if anyone has any ideas on how to reduce the amount of time between turns, please let me know by posting in this thread.

All these problems means I'm pretty much shelving the 240 X 240 map of this scenario...if the 160 X 160 is this bad for some people, the 240 x 240 would be 5 times worse.

I do think I might know of one problem though...which was discussed in another thread regarding immobile units and the AI.

Deep Impact: Try removing the "Load" flag in the editor from all the units which are immobile, and see how the time between turns is.

These units are: Home Guard, Home Guard (small), Garrison, Garrison (small), Fortress Gun, Heavy Fortress Gun, and Coastal Gun.

People in another thread have said that doing this helps improve the time between turns...maybe it'll work for ACW. If anyone else wishes to test this, feel free to and report back. :)

If no one gets a chance to, I'll try it on Sunday if I have time. My work schedule is heavy next week, so Sunday is the only real chance I have.

I'll upload a new version tomorrow which will incorporate the "remove load" from immobile units. :)

Top Bottom