6 player FFA game thread--invite only

Onan

Dad
After plenty of experience setting up multi-session MP games that we couldn't play to conclusion, I'm moving away from the 'all welcome' model to invitation only, invites extended to those I know are reliable and will make every effort to finish the game.

Same format time-wise: 8pm local time in Auckland is the start time, sessions usually last 1.5 - 2.5 hours, days to be determined based on player availability.

Here are the lucky invitees: :p

1) Tabarnak
2) Islandia
3) zalta
4) Alistair Cookie
5) myself
6) Brenador

Now, I haven't played with Brenador in some time, so we'll see if he's still interested in playing...probably better to play a 5 man than have an 'iffy' 6th person if he's not up for it.

The rest of you, I'm fairly certain, are just waiting to get started. :D

Please confirm you're in, discuss settings, any artificial constraints (no war before turn X, etc)...and we'll get it going. :king:

Im in.

Thank you for the invitation. I'd like to play with you guys, but school is starting for me next week, and I would prefer not to play later than 12:30 or 1:00 Pacific time, so I'm not sure if it will work out for me. But I do like the idea of a six-player game that will actually be finished.

I'm in, as usual!

Can't do Tuesdays and on Mondays I could only do a shorter session (and no session later on), however, any other day will do fine.

Thank you for the invitation. I'd like to play with you guys, but school is starting for me next week, and I would prefer not to play later than 12:30 or 1:00 Pacific time, so I'm not sure if it will work out for me. But I do like the idea of a six-player game that will actually be finished.

Hey, Brenador! Right now the time zones align such that the start time for PST is 11pm...so stopping by 1am your time would be perfect, and we could stop earlier at 12:30am your time if needed. We'd probably play once or max twice per week...the actual sessions tend to be slightly irregular, based on everyone's schedules...with usually one good day for everyone, and extra sessions as we can all fit them in.

Guys, I'm also considering making this a less ruthless style of game, as Kyp suggested in another thread in this forum. With only the time victory condition enabled, so it's more about the story of what happens in the world, wars of annihilation are discouraged, and so on. Not so much into the role playing aspect, though interesting write ups are always fun, I just think they should be optional.

What does everyone think? I've never actually played a long game this way...I think it would be an environment diplomacy could really flourish in...and it would be fun to see multiple VCs met in a single game, and yet have it go on. Heck, maybe the time VC shouldn't be checked either. Then we could agree to when we're done with the world, and have a bunch of Giant Death Robot fights before we blow it all up. :D

To my great sorrow, I'm afraid I must decline this time around. I recently moved east by one time-zone and started a new job for which I actually need to get up in the morning, and a 1am start is just unworkable I think. I already yearn for my lazy graduate student ways, but that's the way of the world I guess.

I am in - though like Brenador I will have to stop by 1 am Pacific. Best days for me are Sunday, Monday, Wednesday and possibly Friday. I like the idea of it not being always war where you can do some diplomatic victory, but I think that turning off all the victory conditions doesn't seem practical. It would be fun to feel that tension between someone trying for a cultural victory versus someone doing a space victory, and perhaps someone trying to conquer them before that happens, or everyone so scared of that, they vote someone else in to win. If we play continents or something along those lines, it would be almost impossible to win an early conquest victory anyway.

To my great sorrow, I'm afraid I must decline this time around. I recently moved east by one time-zone and started a new job for which I actually need to get up in the morning, and a 1am start is just unworkable I think. I already yearn for my lazy graduate student ways, but that's the way of the world I guess.

Alas! I guess there are more cookies in the world than just civ. Yom yom yom!! Enjoy!

I am in - though like Brenador I will have to stop by 1 am Pacific. Best days for me are Sunday, Monday, Wednesday and possibly Friday. I like the idea of it not being always war where you can do some diplomatic victory, but I think that turning off all the victory conditions doesn't seem practical. It would be fun to feel that tension between someone trying for a cultural victory versus someone doing a space victory, and perhaps someone trying to conquer them before that happens, or everyone so scared of that, they vote someone else in to win. If we play continents or something along those lines, it would be almost impossible to win an early conquest victory anyway.

Well, I think everyone one would recognize that the first person to any VC would be the winner of the game in a traditional sense...it just means we could continue with the game/world, if we wanted to.

I've played around with this idea before, but in Civ 5 I'm not sure whether or not completing an actual victory condition with just Time victory enabled gives you any extra points (so winning one condition isn't a guaranteed victory, but a nice bonus nonetheless)? I'm assuming that at least the space race objectives give a nice amount of extra points plus wiping out your opponents will guarantee a score victory as well, but I like this idea anyway, it might promote all-around balance more.

I meant that all the players would recognize the traditional winner as the first one to any VC, whether it shows in points or not.

Gonna have to have a think about who else can play this with us....

Good news, looks like Brenador should be able to play.

Brenador: I prefer to play on what is Thursday, Friday, or Saturday night my time (because I don't have to wake up as early on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

Looks like I might have to adopt a dual time system, to avoid us confusing the days.

For example, Friday night 11pm PST / Saturday everyone else (each of you should know what the time is for you by now)...I'll use something like that since the start time doesn't fall on the same day of the week for everyone anymore.

I'm going to send EEE_Boy a message, as he was interested in playing before. If that doesn't work out, I might see if The Oob would want to join us for this.

Good news, looks like Brenador should be able to play.

Brenador: I prefer to play on what is Thursday, Friday, or Saturday night my time (because I don't have to wake up as early on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

Looks like I might have to adopt a dual time system, to avoid us confusing the days.

For example, Friday night 11pm PST / Saturday everyone else (each of you should know what the time is for you by now)...I'll use something like that since the start time doesn't fall on the same day of the week for everyone anymore.

I'm going to send EEE_Boy a message, as he was interested in playing before. If that doesn't work out, I might see if The Oob would want to join us for this.

Thank you for the invitation:lol:

I can't play this sunday (22nd Jan) for this week.

I haven't tried any time victory before in SP, but war seems to be the most efficicent way to get high in the score board, which defeats your purpose of preventing war. As for the artificial constraints, I propose we honor every deal (OP for example) we sign so that we can prevent war until the deal runs out, people who won't trade with you are clearly targets.

Thank you for the invitation:lol:

:blush: well, you are untried, untested, though eager and within time zone....

The main thing we ask is that you be consistent, reliable, and committed. Otherwise, we'll have to kill you. :scan:

Okay guys, looks like we have 6.

Hmn was just going to propose we start in 48 hours, but remembered I'm away this weekend. :(
Based on all the preferred times, it looks like that might mean we have to push the start back to...how's Thursday (26) or Friday (27) 11pm PST / Friday (27) or Saturday (28) for everyone else? Giving a couple options as no one day seems to hit everyone's stated preferences.

As most of you already know I'm not a fan of artificial constraints on games...maybe we could just agree to play like we have morals or something, so that genocide perpetrators may find themselves fighting wars on two or even three fronts...or at least that people in dire need should be asking at least for covert assistance, and should have some expectation of getting it.

Settings suggestions anyone? I was kind of thinking small continents (naturally limits early war), tho maybe regular continents would be a more interesting mix. Was also considering fractal as a map type...snaky irregular continents.

Would prefer those weekdays, Thu 26 would suit me fine, although there's always the chance I get a work assignment and can't attend, but I'll let you know well in advance.

Would prefer those weekdays, Thu 26 would suit me fine, although there's always the chance I get a work assignment and can't attend, but I'll let you know well in advance.

hi Z, the suggested times on offer in your zone, based on everyone's stated preferences, are the Friday or Saturday.... Have a preference for one of those?

I can do Thursday (that's wednesday night pacific), Saturday (Friday night pacific), or Sunday (Saturday night pacific) for the first session. If it's Saturday, or Sunday, I can go longer than 1am so we get a bit more in that first session.

Top Bottom