DoI Invasion Issue

mariocerame

Chieftain
This happened in two games. I'm not exactly sure what the issue is, but my wars of independence are way too easy because of something. More than one hundred enemy units die without me doing anything. I like a big fight at the end and was rather sad to miss out.

So this is the situation right before the enemy lands on my shore.

I click end turn.

I see this in the event log.

This is the new situation at the start of the turn. Please note no enemy actually landed--these guys all died without me doing anything.

Last game I managed to track them all down the remnants and kill them, but they were all over the place--it was hard to find them.

This past game I could never find one enemy dragoon anywhere, and don't believe he would have shown up. I gave up--it was the last unit to kill.

I am using your newest mod version and the patch and the dll.

I love your mod!! I'm just rather sad as I was looking forward to some big fights and the enemy just melted without me doing anything.

Keep up the good work. I don't think I can go back to vanilla anymore because your mod is just too cool.

OH one more issue--consider changing the indentured servants gained from abolishing slavery in a DoI to something else, so that the men gained can be armed and used in the war--or did you intend for that consequence?

That would be the galleons (who are transporting the REF inbound) are being blown apart by all your fortresses.

Looks like it's a tad over-powered.

Should the REF get double-odds defending against fortress fire?

Oh. Well, here are some ideas Dale.

Don't let the fortress actually cause a kill--make me use a fleet to do that.

I would also beef the fleet up against the fortresses.

Does the attack cause collateral damage like with CIV4 artillery? If so, I'd nix it.

The idea is cool but perhaps consider making the invasion stronger (relatively) to compensate for this ability by increasing the frequency and degree of the king's allocation of troops.

Or maybe limit our fortress to one per civ, so we have to make a more strategic decision than just slapping em everywhere--or keep the fortress but move the ability to some unique building (I actually like this idea best, but that's me).

Or use several of these ideas.

Again, I very much like your mod.

Another option is only allow each fortress to fire once per turn, instead of for every cannon inside.

Because I'm not a good AI programmer. :p

I really have no idea anymore about programming or anything like that, but couldnt you create a 'next to fortress' tag for coastal sea tiles which the ai ships could read to know to avoid that area if pos?

Just made another thought.

This is not an issue of why the fort opened fire. The real issue is why the troops did not land when the ships were a tile away from the fort, but prefered to wait an extra turn inside the ships.

My guess is because the galleons run out of movement points. Hence, what needs to get fixed is enabling the AI to make a land check even when transports have 0 movement points.

It is a landing AI decision issue. I will try to ask some Civ4 AI guy.

That's a good point. Changing a specific aspect I could do, but changing the whole strategy of the AI is not what I could do.

I second the notion that the cannons are overpowered. I just finished a game where the REF was comparable in size to the first poster's, and my cannons tore up the REF. Funny thing was that I only had about 8 or so of them total when the war started, scattered across 3 fortresses. I wasn't really sure how they worked in practice. Had I expected them to be a major factor in the fight I would've built more to begin with.

Are the cannons firing once per ship or once per cannon?

Top Bottom