Dawn of Civilization - an RFC modmod by Leoreth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably.. decolonization, though I'd expect it not to be playable. There are civilizations with more of an impact other than as a Commonwealth member that I would expect not to be playable as well, such as Brazil.

Decolonization would not be playable unless deemed important enough, which I don't think any will. They also would then require a lot less work on Leoreth's part.

Sorry... I lied. Probably not. Its overall importance is better represented as an extension of Britain or the US anyway than a separate civ, so its okay.

No, it isn't insignificant. It is actually very significant, but in DoC that significance is paired with that of a major civ in the form of resources. For example, in a scenario where WWII actually plays out, we do not want a minor, Seljuk type, civ taking over cities in Europe. It would be much more realistic if it were Britain or America using Canadian resources, which could never happen with a Canada civ unless it were to really like gifting units, cities, and resources.

Because they are not as important. Canada needs the support of a full AI, they don't. They were not actually very important on a world scale until later.

No, they are not going to be playable. Canada, being a part of England or America, sort of is.

So I was playing as Iran, which by the way was really tough at first to open up trade with Europe as Turkey, despite being Islamic, did not want open borders, and the "Independents" were the first to circumnavigate the globe...how did that happen? I have a screenshot, but I'm at work right now.

Also concerning the SVN and current 1.9 ver, are there plans to eventually merge the SVN with Poland and Tibet onto your civfanatics page so I could download it? I like to wait for these mods to show up here.

ps-love playing as Iran Leoreth, now that trade is opened and relations have improved, I enjoy playing as a smaller more compact republic.

Of course, the current SVN content will be released as 1.10 at some point.

Dear Leoreth,
I wasn't playing this mod for the entire summer, and was surprised how many new cool things were added since then. However mod became so much slower :( . Would it be a point when you will stop adding new stuff and will focus on optimization? I know that some people don't mind to wait 30 seconds in between turns during 1400s and 3-4 minutes in 1900s, but some people struggle with it. Perhaps many UHVs getting checked every single turn, perhaps too many barbarians roaming around, perhaps too many conditions get checked and rechecked every turn -- but the better and bigger this mod becomes it gets harder and harder to actually enjoy it.

Yes, the first step in that would be to merge in K-Mod which gives significant speed gains on large maps with many civilizations (which I suspect to be the main driver of increased loading times).

I don't think there's that much to optimize in Python code like the victory checks because its portion of the time per turn is still insignificantly small.

Loading times are the least annoying issue, one can simply do something else while waiting for the advanced starts. But what can one do between the turns? It can simply drive you nuts :twitch:. I noticed the change because I did not update my SVN for a long time, the change in speed of the mod was not so gradual like for the most of the die hard fans over here :)

Yeah, I meant everything with "loading times", including AI turns. The general problem is that AI turn time grows polynomially with the amount of content in the game, while optimizations are usually linear. But I'm sure that K-Mod will bring enough speedup to make that bearable, and bring things up to RFC Epic/Marathon levels again.

In case you're wondering why I'm doing all sorts of stuff before I start with merging K-Mod is that it is huge - it's probably more appropriate to merge RFC into K-Mod than the other way around. This is a large undertaking which is likely to result in bugs, of which many may not be detected until much later. That is why I want to make a clean release first, and focus a whole release on the merge. This would allow people to play a polished version while I dig through the sourcecode with Winmerge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom