Turn off climate change?

Do you like the climate change mechanic?

• Yes

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Yes, but the option to turn it off/on would be nice

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • No, but the option to turn it off/on would be nice

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • I don't have a preference, but the option to turn it off/on would be nice

Votes: 2 8.0%

• Total voters

Chingis

Chieftain
Now before someone posts 1,000,000 words about how climate change is balanced and what not, I just want to say that I don't care if it's balanced or not, I just don't like it. Is there a way to sift through the files and disable climate change? And as some feedback, could you add an option in the custom game menu to disable/enable climate change?

Personally, I like it. I'm not a big fan of land tiles becoming water but I appreciate the extra bit of consequence from messing with the environment. I would definitely be in favor of making it optional if that's feasible though.

I like the theory of it, but not the current implementation. Though it's still better than what BtS has.

Disclaimer: The following works in regular BTS. I don't know if changes Xyth has made in the mod will still allow this to work.

To remove global warming from the game: The file GlobalDefines.xml which exists for every version of the game (vanilla, Warlords and BTS) holds many parameters that effect the game. One of them is:

Code:
<Define>
<DefineName>GLOBAL_WARMING_PROB</DefineName>
<iDefineIntVal>20</iDefineIntVal>
</Define>
Changing the 20 to 0 removes global warming from the game.

The file is located in:
...\Civilization 4\Assets\XML
...\Civilization 4\Warlords\Assets\XML
...\Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Assets\XML

In the file HR_Map.py:

Code:
class ClimateChange:
	def __init__(self):
		self.iNukeChance	= 20	# X out of 1000 Chance Per Nuke Exploded
		self.iHealthChance	= 5		# X out of 1000 Chance Per Net Unhealthiness
		self.iMaxChance		= 750	# X out of 1000
		self.lTerrain1		= ['TERRAIN_SNOW']
		self.lTerrain2		= ['TERRAIN_TUNDRA', 'TERRAIN_GRASS']
		self.lTerrain3		= ['TERRAIN_PLAINS']
		self.lTerrain4		= ['TERRAIN_DESERT']
		self.lTerrains		= [self.lTerrain1, self.lTerrain2, self.lTerrain3, self.lTerrain4]
		self.bCoast			= True	# Allows Coastal Plots to Sink if it is at Lowest Grade
		self.iCoast			= gc.getInfoTypeForString('TERRAIN_COAST')

Setting each self.iXXXChance to 0 should disable the mechanic completely. Setting self.bCoast to False will disable coastal plots getting submerged. I'm planning to review this module in the context of a more extensive climate system for 1.24, though I may make a few minor tweaks for 1.23. Whether I'll add an option to disable climate or climate change will depend on how integrated with other systems it ends up being. I don't know yet.

The BTS system is already disabled in HR.

In the file HR_Map.py:

Code:
class ClimateChange:
	def __init__(self):
		self.iNukeChance	= 20	# X out of 1000 Chance Per Nuke Exploded
		self.iHealthChance	= 5		# X out of 1000 Chance Per Net Unhealthiness
		self.iMaxChance		= 750	# X out of 1000
		self.lTerrain1		= ['TERRAIN_SNOW']
		self.lTerrain2		= ['TERRAIN_TUNDRA', 'TERRAIN_GRASS']
		self.lTerrain3		= ['TERRAIN_PLAINS']
		self.lTerrain4		= ['TERRAIN_DESERT']
		self.lTerrains		= [self.lTerrain1, self.lTerrain2, self.lTerrain3, self.lTerrain4]
		self.bCoast			= True	# Allows Coastal Plots to Sink if it is at Lowest Grade
		self.iCoast			= gc.getInfoTypeForString('TERRAIN_COAST')

Setting each self.iXXXChance to 0 should disable the mechanic completely. Setting self.bCoast to False will disable coastal plots getting submerged. I'm planning to review this module in the context of a more extensive climate system for 1.24, though I may make a few minor tweaks for 1.23. Whether I'll add an option to disable climate or climate change will depend on how integrated with other systems it ends up being. I don't know yet.

The BTS system is already disabled in HR.

Tried this, I'll see if it works. One of the biggest reasons I don't like climate change is because the AI doesn't think it exists. I've seen size 4 barbarian cities turn the lush grasslands and dense jungles of south east asia into desert wastelands very quickly

Tried this, I'll see if it works. One of the biggest reasons I don't like climate change is because the AI doesn't think it exists. I've seen size 4 barbarian cities turn the lush grasslands and dense jungles of south east asia into desert wastelands very quickly

Yes, that's one of my concerns with it as well.

Hey, I gotta say. Climate Change sucks, thats why I recycle (i think it is, is that why I recycle?)

Anyway, I would like if we turned off Climate Change, and while we are at it anything that is negative. I mean, this is supposed to be a fun game right. We shouldn't have things that are annoying or difficult, who would want to build a civilization in anything but ideal circumstances?

I think we should turn off violence too, because having your city attacked by barbarians or even worse, other civs, is also annoying, and annoying things don't make the game fun. So no climate change, no war, also no civil unrest would be great to!

And just on the off-chance that he was actually being serious (unlikely though it is), barbs and wars can already be turned off at game start via the 'No Barbarians' and 'Always Peace' options. ;)

Maybe give barb cities an invisible building that nullifies pollution but nurfs food?

Maybe have certian effects of climate change scale with era/average era? I don't think losing mt Sinai to rising ocean currents in the earth maps should happen til the digital/global eras

Dont know if this is reported, if yes then sry, i forgot.

In my games there is a ice inlands thtat have resorces but nobody can build city there.
And that make me sad look on them.
So close and so far from my hands.

Hey, I gotta say. Climate Change sucks, thats why I recycle (i think it is, is that why I recycle?)

Anyway, I would like if we turned off Climate Change, and while we are at it anything that is negative. I mean, this is supposed to be a fun game right. We shouldn't have things that are annoying or difficult, who would want to build a civilization in anything but ideal circumstances?

I think we should turn off violence too, because having your city attacked by barbarians or even worse, other civs, is also annoying, and annoying things don't make the game fun. So no climate change, no war, also no civil unrest would be great to!

Are you sarcastic?

It's fine if someone wants to disable climate change at the moment. While the new system is an improvement over the default BTS system, it isn't tuned that well yet. Much like dissent, I don't intend to add an in-game option to disable it (I'll instead work on tuning it better), but ultimately if someone wants to go into the code and change things to suit how they wish to play they're welcome to. I'm just happy they're playing and enjoying the rest of HR.

Maybe give barb cities an invisible building that nullifies pollution but nurfs food?

I can give barbarians a reduction modifier or exclude them altogether. Will do as a temporary measure for 1.23 until I revise and expand the whole system in 1.24.

Maybe have certian effects of climate change scale with era/average era? I don't think losing mt Sinai to rising ocean currents in the earth maps should happen til the digital/global eras

I'm going to disable sea level rises in 1.23. Will be reworked and reintroduce in 1.24.

Dont know if this is reported, if yes then sry, i forgot.

In my games there is a ice inlands thtat have resorces but nobody can build city there.
And that make me sad look on them.
So close and so far from my hands.

That happens from time to time. Might be something I can address in 1.24, climate change thawing the polar regions or similar.

I also want to turn off the idiotic treatment of nuclear power, especially having it add to greenhouse gases. I want to play a game, not be hectored by environmental and antinuclear zealotry. Hell, nuclear was the solution - I was first talking about it in 1978.

Nuclear plants do not add to global warming to my knowledge. Has HR changed anything that would make it so?

I guess that when K-Mod was merged into HR, it switched to K-Mod's global warming system where global warming is caused by unhealthiness (i.e. by population, buildings and resources that cause it in cities) and deterred by forests and jungles.

But nuclear plants are the same as renewable energy plants in that they produce no unhealthiness. So in that way, they are an effective way to reduce global warming.

That's what I meant. My point is that Nuclear Power is just as clean as renewable energy sources, unlike what has been suggested above.

Top Bottom