Fallout: Tame The Wastes

I just discovered and downloaded the mod today, and I’ve been having the same issue of GUI in game. I enabled Python exception popups, and I booted the mod up 3 times. The same python exception error messages occurred. Upon booting up, the python exceptions were:
Spoiler :
Traceback (most recent call last)
File “<string>”, line 1, in?
File “<string>”, line 52, in load_module
File “CvEventInterface”, line 19, in ?
File “CvDynamicTraitsEvents”, line 24, in ?
File “CvEventInterface”, line 165, in ?
File “CvEventInterface”, line 164, in init
File “CvUtil”, line 484, in logme
: {yes, it was just a colon}
[Errno 13] Permission denied: ‘fttwpy.log’
{a blank error box}
Failed to load python module CvEventInterface
I got to the Main Menu, and started a game. Once the game was finished loading, I had two in-game python exception windows.
Spoiler :
Python Exception
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “CvAppInterface”, line 47, in onSave
Attribute Error: ‘module’ object has no attribute ‘onEvent’
Python Exception

File”BugUtil”, line 694 in lambda
File “BugEventManager”, line 602, in preGameStart
Attribute Error: ‘module’ object has no attribute ‘onEvent’
Upon Alt-tabbing out and back in(and finding out that I couldn’t take a screenshot of these to make life easier,) there was one more python exception.
Spoiler :
Python Exception
File “CVScreensInterface”, line 78 in showMainInterface
File “CVScreensInterface”, line 426 in interfaceScreen
File “CVScreensInterface”, line 339 in initState
File “PLE”, line 180 in PLE_CalcConstants
File “PLE”, line 851 in setMaxRow
ZeroDivisionError: interger division or module by zero.

I booted up another mod, and unmodded BtS, and none of these errors were replicated. I also tried the debug CVGameCoreDLL, and only got the line 66 error.

hello KomradeKwestion,

plz try the following:

delete the python folder from the mod, then load the mod, see if you get errors then -
if you dont - it means the problem is in fall out python,

if its not - do the same for the dll file,

if all these 2 doesnt remove the errors you get - then something in the xml causes this,
and lib spit will have to do some debugging on the xml :(

my money is on the python , i guess deleting the python will fix it, lib spit will stil lhave to fix, but it will be easier to locate the problem.

Keldnath, thank you, removing the Python folder from the mod did work. The UI is green, and doesn't have the pip-boy screen look like in Lib's screenshots, but I can play.

Thanks for the error post Weston, I am off to bed now so I will look at this more closely in the morning, and also try to get my code guy to have a look at it too.

Some of these errors I don't think I have ever seen.

what really confuses me is why this is not happening for all of us, only some people...

I will take a look through tomorrow and see if anything jumps out.. hopefully we will be able to get it fixed by the weekend.

Another thing you could do if you feel like doing some incredible tedius detective work, is go through the python folder and move out 1 file at a time, load the mod, see if anything changes, put it back and try the same with the next one.

This may do absolutely nothing to help, or it may highlight which file is dodgy! It's hard for me to do much with it, as I do not have the error....That still really confuses me...

Mods with bug required to save data to a file.
Screwed unless you run the game as admin.

Take screenshot by pressing printscreen...

Yeah there is some stuff I really like in it, I am just not sure at the moment what will be 'lost' from BuG in terms of displays and 'feedback' messages, I really like the 'upgrading' stuff from platy, like the upgrading religion and the golden age happiness meter all that stuff is great!

I am glad the admin method worked! Thanks Platy, that saved me one mega headache this weekend, I will add it to the first post instructions!

I unpacked the art.rar, and that fixed the crash-at-civselection problem, but I was back to having no status or controls. Going to try the new download and see if that helps.

[Edit] Nope, still the same problem.

Python Exceptions:
File ",string., line1, in ?
File "<string>", line 53, in load_module
File "CvEventInterface", line 19, in?
File "<string>", line 52, in load_module
File "CvDynamicTraitsEvents", line 24,in ?
File "<string>", line 52, in load_module
File "CvTraitsInterface", line 165, in ?
File "CvTraitsInterface", line 164, in init
File "CvUtil", line 484, in logme
IOErroe
:
[Errno 13] Permission denied: 'fttwpy.log'
{Empty error box}
Failed to load python module CvEventInterface.

And once the game had started:

File "CvAppInterface", Line 47, in onSave

AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'onEvent'

And:

File "BugUtil", line 694, in lambda

File "BugEventManager", line602, in preGameStart

AttributeError: 'NoneType', object has no attribute 'fireEvent'

But I'm already on an administrator account. On the plus side getting rid of the python file did let it run.

Got it working, thanks.

A couple things though:

Running in admin mode with the python folder in place seems to prevent the 'religions' from spawning. Don't know if that's intentional or not, but it renders many of the 'Civics' effects irrelevant.

When using "advanced start", which I like to do, you can't even buy the 'survivor' units that most civs start with. And the pre-game tech screen doesn't have the necessary button to buy initial Technologies

Also, while there are several techs that reference Naval Units and improvements, none of them exist, not even Work Boats. In fact water tiles are completely un-workable. Obviously actual naval warfare is way down the priority list for this Mod, but could we at least have an early tech to let us work sea tiles and build work boats please?

You should get your religion when you found your National Capital.

Advanced start is not yet 'supported' none of the Adv. Start Costs are balanced, and that feature is basically completely unlooked at or tested as it is not a feature I personally use. So it won't be developed till much further on.

Hmm I thought I had removed all references to boats now, which techs still have them? Unworkable water is intentional, as water is pretty much a poluted irradiated mess.. Eventually the water resources will be removed as well.

Unworkable water is compensated for by forest improvements and ruins..

Oh man, so many rights and wrongs here! :D

I really like the way you are going. The progress already done is huge and you did what you could with avaliable assets and arts. I just feel like I must let you know that I greatly enjoy what is already done so the following does not let you down or make you think I am a hater :D.

Now onto the part why I wanted to post this after I played around with the mod.

I find early tech tree quite... Arbitrary? For example, why is hunting so much later than animal domestication or labor? I mean it's more logical that people start to peek their nose out to scavenge, then try to hunt small or not-so-mean critters like molerats and brahmin, and only then try to tame them. Also ability to keep said animals (like brahmin) requires a knowledge about getting some food to feed animals (since you cannot keep them in the open with all the nightstalkers and big molerats running around, you need to grow or store food to feed animals, otherwise it's counter-productive). Thus making animal domestication branch off from gathering->gardening-> makes more sense than from trapping. Hunting on the other hand could be a tech following trapping, and big game hunting could be advanced version of that to be able to secure areas and take down meanies like big insects and deathclaws.

Another issue is with techs like "barricade". At first, barricade grants a HUGE amount of defense. With inability to capture cities it's not that important (enemies will pillage your land and not capture cities, but it's another issue). What I wanted to say is that it's logical to have barricading as a very early tech. I mean, you gather a group, you find a building/camp to live in. What is the first logical course of action? Right, barricade entrances, put up simple defenses and a watchtower. You won't be building workshops if radscorpions are stinging your butt.

There are a lot of issues like this with the current tech tree.

What I wanted to ask, are you open to ideas and do you consider to change tech tree in the future? I like the overall progression and the idea of being unable to capture cities early. I also love the Hidden Nationality system playing a big role in the game. However I really feel like redesigning the tech tree is a big step which should be taken step by step and implemented to make this mod smoother. Not so many techs are needed (currently there's 6 techs per EVERY tier, is it done just to make the tree feel big?), and overall tech tree progression (survival era -> rebuild era -> superpower era -> tech era) should be changed.

Don't mind era names, they are just placeholders. Let me explain my thoughts about eras.
1) Survival era. This is when all the confused and lost folks try to put their sh*t together just not to die. Their single goal is to form some kind of basic society and repel wildlife attacks while being able to find something to eat and cure many diseases.
2) Rebuild era. People start to peek their nose out of their borders, try to re-establish pre-war industries like old mines or weapon factories. Resource wars become a possibility, since now people need more than just food and shelter.
3) Superpower era. Governments appear and start to unite multiple cities/tribes under their hood (you build settlers, you conquer neighbours). A few big brothers arise and fight each other over control of smaller groups (vassals).
4) Tech era. People fully understand and utilize pre-war tech. Military uses mobile armour and powerarmor troops, energy weapons and robots.

There's a possibility of the "fall" era when overuse of technology and advanced weapons may bring appearance of nastier wildlife (barbarian mutants), increase pollution and fallout (global warming-style) and possible appearance of end-game civs (FFH2-style). Of course it's something which should not be done until at least 2 first eras are fleshed out.

I've been thinking about making a small postapocalyptic mod based on "stripped mod" myself and doodled tech tree and possible units, but then I remembered about your project, and voila, it's alive! So I thought that maybe you are open to new ideas and could embrace my thoughts. Of course I can understand if you answer "I have my own vision, no thanks" and I will be totally okay with it, it's your mod, but it never hurts to try!

In any case I am happy this is alive and you work on it.

P.S. Another grumble. I don't really like current unit strength progression. Jumping from str. 2 to 60 is something too extreme for my opinion. Also having a "crossbowman" unit which is the ONLY unit of Archer unit class is weird. The archer model could be an early hunter instead (trapper?). Okay, let me stop here, I have too many my own ideas which I should not pour all over you, sorry :).

P.P.S. Cool to see some of my poorly made art assets like deathclaws and Brotherhood leader put to some use :D. I thought I did it for nothing.

Another post since I just tried a game on normal and spawned next to 3 ruins.
1) Scavenging camps should be greatly reduced in yields. On 3 scavenging camps I was able to raise population to 12 and research any tech in 2-4 turns, and build units in 1 turn.

2) How do you plan to deal with great nuisance ("scavengers", "thiefs" etc) for balance and non-enraging gameplay? Currently scavengers are 3 str (in comparison to 2 str early units), but that's not the worst part. The worst part is that if they move in a city, you cannot do anything about it. And they freely move in a city since they have a "cannot capture" flag on. Then when they are in a city you cannot attack them (BtS mechanic). Now if they did not have the "cannot capture" on, they would not be able to enter a city with attackers. But they do, so something should be invented to help dealing with them.

Top Bottom