stressed when 1 turn remaining?

Sorry if I came off that way... I just thought it was "funny" that they were talking about the AI "cheating" and then in the same breath talked about how they reload a saved game from a few moves back to try again...

I don't understand how one can go back and change what they did, and then feel as if they accomplished something when they pull off a victory.

In my humble opinion, if you reload a saved game to try and get a different result, you've already lost the game.

How many of the hall of fame entries are reloads?

Well stated Smoke. I get that everybody plays the way they want but if you have to reload it might be faster to just get a save editor and give yourself a million gold or maybe just edit the hall of fame directly. I'm not trying to ridicule anyone but the absolute entire point of the game for me would be immediately null and void to restart either starting position or to reload after I screwed up.

Well stated Smoke. I get that everybody plays the way they want but if you have to reload it might be faster to just get a save editor and give yourself a million gold or maybe just edit the hall of fame directly. I'm not trying to ridicule anyone but the absolute entire point of the game for me would be immediately null and void to restart either starting position or to reload after I screwed up.
There is a huge difference between getting a save editor to give yourself advantages and mere reloading when you made a mistake. When you reload, you don't get any bonuses apart from the opportunity to learn from your mistakes and do things differently this time. You must still play the game according to the rules.

The game itself acknowledges that people do reload to correct mistakes, which is why there is an option to preserve random seed upon reloads (this prevents exploits such as reloading repeatedly until you get a free tech from a goodie hut).

It's fine if you wish to be a purist and play the game without reloading, but there is no reason to belittle those who do so by equating such a practice to "editing the hall of fame directly".

Even if a random seed is the same, each reload does differ in a few ways. The main one is the location of Barbarian camps.

What could have happened is a Barbarian delayed the AI in one instance but not the other. Even if the Barb just comes and stands on a tile that normally produces a hammer it could shift the time to build, or cause the AI to re-prioritiize.

IMO there is a long distance between reloading the game to change strategies versus just giving yourself 1 million gold. Once you 've sunk a big chunk of time into your current game you don't always want to start over. There are some situations where I make a mistake that is no doubt going to turn the game into a long boring slog into 4th place. I consider that game a wash and either start over or reload from a point where I can adjust. Sometimes I start the same map from turn 1 5 or 6 times just to see where it goes.

Regarding the OP, the AI will perform the exact same functions upon a reload provided you perform the exact same actions for it to respond to. Consequently, wonder build times, as well as other actions, such as war declarations, will occur on the exact same turns, provided you retrace your steps precisely. From what I've seen, this seems to happen to an extreme degree; I'd be interested in seeing the results of an experiment that I lack the patience or eidetic memory to carry out: play the game through, noting every move that you make, from turn 1 to victory, then reload the game at turn 0 and follow the script. From what I've seen of short-term re-loads (10 turns or so), I wouldn't be surprised if running the same game "in syndication" would yield identical results (wonder completion dates, DoW dates, era-entry dates, even running into one specific mohawk warrior on one specific tile on one specific turn with one specific health level...
This is exactly my experience as well. As I've explained at length elsewhere, I have run experiments confirming that this occurs for reloads back to 20 and 30 turns. (See above comment re: OCD. :D) Every single tiny thing is precisely, 100% the same, in each and every experiment I've ever run, for many years of doing this across all iterations of the game since Civ III. (This is assuming "New Random Seed" has been deactivated, of course.)

However, as can be seen in this thread and others like it, this seems not to be the case for everyone. I'm at a loss to explain the difference.

Even if a random seed is the same, each reload does differ in a few ways. The main one is the location of Barbarian camps.

What could have happened is a Barbarian delayed the AI in one instance but not the other. Even if the Barb just comes and stands on a tile that normally produces a hammer it could shift the time to build, or cause the AI to re-prioritiize.
See just above. My experiences have always disagreed with this description. If the random seed is the same, a reload differs in zero ways, ever.

Of course, also see the caveat to just above. :lol:

What I find to be pretty weird is that you can lose a wonder that is 1 turn away.

That never happened in Civ 4, production would finish when you click end turn.
In Civ 5... I don't know, maybe production is added when you start your turn.

The sad thing is, I just came out of a golden age, 1 turn turned into 2 turns and that was it.

What I find to be pretty weird is that you can lose a wonder that is 1 turn away.

That never happened in Civ 4, production would finish when you click end turn.
In Civ 5... I don't know, maybe production is added when you start your turn.

The sad thing is, I just came out of a golden age, 1 turn turned into 2 turns and that was it.

Yeah I hate how you're on the last turn of your golden age and, say the infobar says +120 gpt, the following turn everything returns to normal levels and you gain +45 gold instead of the 120.

:dunno:
I ran to Temple of Artemis. When only 1 turn left, after pressing "End of turn" it was built by another player. OK, it happens. But because it was on Emperor and it was one of my priorities, I did what I usually don't do - I loaded the game ~20 turn earlier and started choping down forests like mad. It gave me at least 4-5 turns extra (on Epic speed). But... wait... when 1 turn left to complete and I pressed "End of turn" the same civ built this wonder before me.
I use a mod called "Wonder Race" which sends a notification to you if another civ is competing with you to build the same wonder. It also tells you if you are either winning or losing the race.

Generally, if I am winning, I stay winning. However, once I learned I was losing and I was determined to win. So I went all out on production: prioritize the workers, chop forests, even redirected a caravan. After a few turns I got a second notification that I was winning the race. Many more turns go by, until I was one turn short. At that point I was notified that I was losing the race. What the heck?!

I suppose some AIs are coded to prioritize certain wonders, and do whatever it takes to get it. So when I went whole hog and started winning, perhaps the AI civ did what I had done and didn't catch up to me until the last possible minute. Well, maybe that's what happened. :dunno:

I usually reload primarily to fix misclicks but acknowledge its an opportunity to correct mistakes and I have done so. If you're going to call this cheating, than you need to go throughout your house and throw out all pencils that you own, pens only from now on, because any time you erase something and re-write, YOU"RE A CHEATER! For that matter, you need to remove the backspace and delete keys from all your keyboards. Absurd? only as absurd as "reloading = cheating."

That's not really the best metaphor, reloading the game for a misclick would be the same as hitting the backspace key or using an eraser, but once you're gaining knowledge of the future and using it to make a different decision, it's cheating.

BUT... it's a single player game, so who cares if you 'cheat' or not? Hell most players here have to let the AI cheat to keep the game interesting (playing on King or above) so if you find it more fun to reload to get an important wonder then play that way. I personally only reload within the first 5-ish turns depending on my starting location because I don't feel like investing hours into a game that I'll be hopelessly behind on.

That's not really the best metaphor, reloading the game for a misclick would be the same as hitting the backspace key or using an eraser, but once you're gaining knowledge of the future and using it to make a different decision, it's cheating.

BUT... it's a single player game, so who cares if you 'cheat' or not? Hell most players here have to let the AI cheat to keep the game interesting (playing on King or above) so if you find it more fun to reload to get an important wonder then play that way. I personally only reload within the first 5-ish turns depending on my starting location because I don't feel like investing hours into a game that I'll be hopelessly behind on.

We all cheat to some degree. Mine is to come on the Forum, learn stuff from far better players and put to use in my own games - then boast that I'm improving! :lol:

Sorry if I came off that way... I just thought it was "funny" that they were talking about the AI "cheating" and then in the same breath talked about how they reload a saved game from a few moves back to try again...

I don't understand how one can go back and change what they did, and then feel as if they accomplished something when they pull off a victory.

In my humble opinion, if you reload a saved game to try and get a different result, you've already lost the game.

How many of the hall of fame entries are reloads?

Pretty much agree with these sentiments, however sometimes I will reload a game in which I didn't fare too well to see if I even had a chance of victory.

If I do end up winning, I don't count it as a proper win but still mark it as an accomplishment of sorts.

A proper win for me is finishing a game without once loading a save.

yea i have noticed this as well.if you do something different the a.i. will also do something different. its like a they move based on your move type of thing

Top Bottom