Worst Militaristic CIV Unique Unit

Ugh... the City-State of Sophia's Unique Unit is the totally useless LANDSCHKNECT (sp?)! A UU with NO UNIQUE ABILITIES WHATSOEVER!

:mad::mad::mad:

Well, at least in the patch, they'll be gone as UUs! :crazyeye:

Ha ha yes incredibly useless. In fact worse than useless as it means that all the time between researching Civil Service and Metallurgy you'll be getting only them.

Berber Cavalry have the potential to be useless if there's no desert to fight in. Although I wonder how their home territory bonus would work. Would you get the bonus attacking Morocco?

And then gifted Samurai can be pretty useless. A unit with a free promotion should be built with barracks/armoury to get to the higher level promotions faster, but it's pretty rare that gifted units come with 30 xp. I guess with the upcoming patch a gifted Samurai could be great!

Yeah, it's even worse than getting a normal unit as they cost more to upgrade than regular pikemen do.

Wait, do CS's always give the same unique unit?

At the start of the game each militaristic city state is randomly allocated one unique land unit from civs that are not in that game.

If you are allied with this city state they will gift you this unit and only this unit from the point that you research the unit's technology until you research the technology that makes it obsolete.

If the unit requires a resource they will give it to you even if it puts you into the negative for that resource.

Yeah, it's even worse than getting a normal unit as they cost more to upgrade than regular pikemen do.

since the last patch landsknechts are only a SoPo unit u wont get them anymore from city states.

since the last patch landsknechts are only a SoPo unit u wont get them anymore from city states.

Unless they forget to remove them... like it happened with Foreign Legions.
They are also absolutely useless now when gotten from a CS as they'll have only (I think) 36 Combat Strength where the units that come with the Tech needed for this already have ~70 CS.

Unless they forget to remove them... like it happened with Foreign Legions.
They are also absolutely useless now when gotten from a CS as they'll have only (I think) 36 Combat Strength where the units that come with the Tech needed for this already have ~70 CS.

Yep, I just got a Foreign Legion a few days ago. Not that I'm complaining...

'Fraid you guys are wrong. The worst UU a Militaristic City-State can gift you is undoubtedly something like the Siege Tower. Why? Because you won't have the CS allied up before your research Physics, and so you'll miss out on it.
Well, you might if you're a competent player, but for someone like me...

At the start of the game each militaristic city state is randomly allocated one unique land unit from civs that are not in that game.

If you are allied with this city state they will gift you this unit and only this unit from the point that you research the unit's technology until you research the technology that makes it obsolete.

If the unit requires a resource they will give it to you even if it puts you into the negative for that resource.

Gotcha. The way OP worded it made it seem like Sofia always gives Landsnickerdoodles.

Somalian Pogodancers? Or maybe Social Policy. But I hope it is the first.

No. I think you were right. Those damn Somalian Pogodancers with their +10% charisma bonus.

Off the subject, but does anyone remember the flag icon for AMERICA in CIV IV? It was a white pentagram set against a blue background. It looked EXACTLY like the flag of Somalia (google it).

'Fraid you guys are wrong. The worst UU a Militaristic City-State can gift you is undoubtedly something like the Siege Tower. Why? Because you won't have the CS allied up before your research Physics, and so you'll miss out on it.
Well, you might if you're a competent player, but for someone like me...
If you're lucky with the quests... the above is completely overpowered when you're playing someone that already has good early game warfare. I was playing in the Persians and happened to be allies with Belgrade; let me tell you, 3 movement Siege Towers are pretty damn awesome. I just completely swept through my continent completely during a Chichen Itza Golden Age (rushed Civil Service).

I agree in that having a Ballista UU or something similar is kind of lame though. But if you start next to a city state that offers Siege Towers, change your plans immediately to fit them in. :p

I remember getting Landsknechts from militaristic CS when I was playing as Austria. They were absolutelly useless but I found it amusing to have Swiss mercenaries in my Holy Roman Empire of Austria. I used them as elite guards in Vienna. :)

I remember getting Landsknechts from militaristic CS when I was playing as Austria. They were absolutelly useless but I found it amusing to have Swiss mercenaries in my Holy Roman Empire of Austria. I used them as elite guards in Vienna. :)

You could have gifted them to a CS for points, then married to get them back, rinse and repeat.

Top Bottom