Zero Religious Pressure

Kernel_Corn

Chieftain
I have four cities, my capital (a holy city) is in the middle and all three other cities are within ten tiles of the holy city. My holy city is exerting no religious pressure on any of my other three cities.

Two of the cities are connected to the holy city and I have one trade route going from the holy city to one of those cities.

Does something have to happen before the religion starts spreading? e.g. enhance the religion, or get to a certain tech?

Ah, the pressure is there now.
Is there a number of turns that have to pass before it begins? (15 or so?)

I was just about to start a thread, asking just how pressure works. What is the formula? When pressure is indicated (e.g., +2 pressure on an outgoing caravan), to what is it being added? How do you see what the base amount is? Just what does pressure _do_? When you have pressure on a city with no religion, does it have a greater effect on a city that has NO religious presence (not even pantheon followers) than it does on a city that does have some pantheon followers? Than if it has some Religion followers (not yours)? Than on a city with several Religions present? If pressure results in some city residents following your Religion, how is it determined which citizens join? For example, if the city has 2 Islam followers, 2 Orthodox Christians, 2 Buddhists, 1 pantheon follower, and 5 with no Religious affiliations, which one of those is likely to yield to the pressure first?

I've looked all over the Civilopedia, but I can't find answers or explanations to any of these questions.

I was just about to start a thread, asking just how pressure works. What is the formula? When pressure is indicated (e.g., +2 pressure on an outgoing caravan), to what is it being added? How do you see what the base amount is? Just what does pressure _do_? When you have pressure on a city with no religion, does it have a greater effect on a city that has NO religious presence (not even pantheon followers) than it does on a city that does have some pantheon followers? Than if it has some Religion followers (not yours)? Than on a city with several Religions present? If pressure results in some city residents following your Religion, how is it determined which citizens join? For example, if the city has 2 Islam followers, 2 Orthodox Christians, 2 Buddhists, 1 pantheon follower, and 5 with no Religious affiliations, which one of those is likely to yield to the pressure first?

I've looked all over the Civilopedia, but I can't find answers or explanations to any of these questions.

** note this is for standard speed***

Each religion (including "no religion") has a certain amount of Total Accumulated Pressure in a city

The important thing is not the amount of accumulated pressure, but the Ratio of accumulated pressure

ie a city with
300 accumulted pressure for Catholicism
200 accumulated pressure for "no religion"
600 accumulated pressure for Judaism

is the same as one with
30,000 accumulted pressure for Catholicism
20,000 accumulated pressure for "no religion"
60,000 accumulated pressure for Judaism

ie ~55% of the city's pop will be followers of Judaism (the religion of the city) and ~27% of the city will be followers of Catholicism.

(I believe that the "city religion" must have more pressure than all other religions+pantheon+no religion... OR the 'city religion' is automatically no religion)

Each turn the city receives religious pressure from the following sources

+6.... Each other city with a 'world religion' (not pantheons or "no religion") that is "In range"
(In range means either through has a trade route or a straight line of 10 distance .. 13 if the religion has itenerant preachers)
+6?... If a spy with an "underground religion" is present
+30..If this is the holy city for that religion

Received every turn and added to accumulated pressure (amount is modified by Religious Text or Religious Unity enhancers .. or Arabia's UA)
This is displayed if the city has 1 follower or more of the religion

The city also gets bursts of religious pressure for certain events

+100 to the religion the city is following every time the population grows (includes pantheons and "No religion")

+1000 (the unit strength) when a missionary or prophet is spent on the city

-ALL if an Inquisitor of Prophet of a different religion is used on the city.. does not apply to "no religion" pressure... reduced by Unity of Prophets

-ALL for pantheons if city is conquered

+200*city pop for all cities when a pantheon is first founded

+500*city pop for holy city when a religion is first founded

What is the starting pressure tallies? Does the current total for each pantheon and Religion and no-Religion go all the way back to Turn 1?

If you create a Settler in a city that has 100% a given Religion, shouldn't any city that Settler founds automatically be 100% that Religion?

What is the starting pressure tallies? Does the current total for each pantheon and Religion and no-Religion go all the way back to Turn 1?

If you create a Settler in a city that has 100% a given Religion, shouldn't any city that Settler founds automatically be 100% that Religion?

The starting pressure tallies (as far as know) is 100 "no religion" when the city is founded (only turn 1 for a capital city).. ie you just got one new population from a city with no religion.

as for what it Should be... well that is a game balance/game design question..

but what it is is going back to when the city is founded (although Inquisitors and Prophets wipe out that "history")

Then that is to say that for all City States (which are in place on Turn 1), they start with 100 "no religion or pantheon"?

Hmm. Off topic question: Do all City States start with a population of 1 on Turn 1? (Vaguely connected because if they start with a pop >1, then that would be a multiplier of the "no religion" pressure.)

Top Bottom