Is this strange? [Playing Game after every civilization is gone]

I used to do a similar thing in Sins of a Solar Empire, but in Civ5 I usually find by the time I've killed the last Civ I'm badly wanting to start a new game (I enjoy exploring new maps), but maybe I'll give it a try (I usually play marathon/huge maps though).
Not OCD the game is called Civilization after all and having a Civ you can be proud of seems a reasonable goal.

So I went back into last victory save (Dom) to check on some details before posting a thread - and ended up spending another couple of hours or so messing about "tidying up", polishing off the last of the AI cities, even founded some more, built the remaining wonders, finished off two policy trees in the process and generally lost the plot! Two lessons learned:

1. Civ is too bloody addictive
2. I'm easily sidetracked - and obviously I'm more OCD than I would have imagined

I'm almost the opposite, unless I'm aiming for a specific victory achievement I often won't play games all the way out. Once I've run away and am closing in on my VC I've already done the interesting part (creating the plan and executing it) and I just don't feel like the 50-ish turn clean up for either chasing down the last civ's capital, getting the last 5% influential on the last Civ, etc.

I guess I just really like the early-mid game.

Yeah I've done it a few times, although not as a rule.
I think it is a peculiarity of Dom victories, I think you can get really attached to your Empire! I've never felt like doing it on any other victory, although I once nuked the crap out of Rome only after winning a SV - I'd been on best behaviour all the rest of the game and had to swallow an awful lot from him, so I felt the need to vent.

I usually puppet any city I capture and then raze all of them after I win on archipelago, so there's my civ and the ruins of my former colonies.

I don't usually do city-building after I win, but what I usually do is spam out units to absolutely crush that empire (or two) that's been aggravating me the entire time. It could be because they invaded me that one time, or because they've been posturing and try to act all high and mighty.

Don't really see how any of this stuff is OCD. It's basically clicking on ''one more turn'' and then you play simcity. Only problem with it is that you need to wipe everyone out before year ~2400 at which point unit maintenance becomes stupid. I reckon you could even get destroyed on settler if you kept playing as the AI will have an unlimited army with minus 3 million gpt while you''ll only be to field anywhere between 0 and 6 units. Kinda gets boring when there's no civs left tho. Still it can fun to have mega cities. I remember having Tnetochitlan (w/e how it's spelled) at 55 pop with 35 food in reserve lol.

Top Bottom