Dawn of Colonization Sign-Ups

I should join as a crusader state just for that.

BUT I'm not. Reserving Denmark.

Reserving MY 5 provinces. You know which ones I mean ;)
And if you don't: Catalonia.

This looks really interesting!

Capital: Athens
Leader: King Burb II
History: After the Red Death, the people of Athens and surrounding provinces decided that they were going to make a nation of a proud and strong people. Their goal is to become greater than the empire of Alexander the Great. To do that, they needed a strong King, and Burb Rixos was their man. His ancestor, Burb I was a governor of Athens before the Red Death, and that made him a legit king. So, the people are now ready to stand by him in this brave new world....
Government: Absolute Monarchy
Social Policy: Traditional
Economic Policy: Heavy Free Trade
Claims (in purple)

Spoiler :

Attachments

• Byzs.jpg
    Byzs.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 293
We need more republics. I am the only one so far.

The Union of Flanders

Government: Republic
Capital: The Grand Council meets in the city of Antwerpen.
Leaders: The representatives and executive branch for the Union of Flanders are the Five Members; the leaders of the cities of Bruges, Brugse Vrije, Ghent, Ypres, and Antwerpen.
Government structure: The Union of Flanders is a confederacy of communal states, each with a high degree of independence. The federal government is composed of the Five Members and the Grand Council. The Five Members serve as the main executive branch of the government and the representatives for the Union. The main legislative body is the Grand Council, which is split between the Council of Poorters and the Council of Yeomen. The Council of Poorters represent the urban communes in the burghs and cities, while the Council of Yeomen represent the rural communes and villages. Each commune sends one representative to the Grand Council. The two councils must approve all declarations of war, the collection of taxes, and any new admissions to the Union by a majority vote.
Economic stance: Free Trade
History:
Spoiler :
-1380 AD: The Red Death appears in <INSERT NATION>.
-1386 AD: Brugse Vrije is added to the Three Members, turning the organization into the Four Members.
-1402 AD: The Red Death intensifies, becoming more deadly than the Black Death of 1348.
-1405 AD: The Red Death reaches Europe. Having barely recovered from the Black Death, widespread panic and chaos follows in the wake pf this new epidemic.
-1407 AD: Louis I, Duke of Orleans, is assassinated at the command of John the Fearless, Duke of Burgundy. Civil war erupts between Armagnac and Burgundy in France.
-1409 AD: The Red death reaches France. Already in the midst of a civil war, the country is further destabilized, and soon, peasant revolts and desertions become commonplace.
-1411 AD: Rebelling nobles succeed in killing John the Fearless on the field of battle. The nobles then proceed to sack the city of Dijon, resulting in the death of the majority of the House of Valois-Burgundy and the collapse of the Duchy of Burgundy. The last surviving heir, Philip III, is rumored to have subsequently fled to Switzerland.
-1412 AD: The Red Death finally recedes from Europe. However, in its wake, it has left kingdoms shattered, and bandits and lawless nobles ravage the land. During this time, the Four Members, spurred on by the merchant guilds, rebel against the Count of Flanders, driving him out and taking control of the county.
-1413 AD: With the collapse of trade, the power of the merchant guilds has rapidly declined. With no ability to maintain order, the Four Members can do little but watch as their hold on the County of Flanders grows weaker and weaker, until they are rulers in name only.
-1423 AD: Hugh III, the deposed Count of Vermandois, invades Flanders. The Four Members call upon the communes to send troops to rebel the lawless count, but few heed the call to arms.
-1424 AD: Hugh III defeats the Four Members at the Battle of Tournai, and brutally sacks the city. This finally prompts the communes to join together to repel the wayward noble.
-1426 AD: Hugh III is defeated and killed at the Battle of Waregem. His armies are scattered, and most of the forces are routed.
-1427 AD: In an effort to better defend themselves, the communes of Flanders agree to form the Union of Flanders, an organization dedicated to the defense of Flanders. The Four Members are made the head of the Union, but have their power limited.
-1444 AD: The city of Antwerpen petitions to join the Union of Flanders, in order to protect itself from the newly formed Duchy of Brabant. When it is admitted in, the Duke of Barbant, Philip II, declares war on the Union, and lays siege to the city.
-1445 AD: A relief force led by Jacob van Brugge is defeated by Philip II's armies. The city of Antwerpen falls soon after, and Philip II crosses the Schelt into Flanders.
-1446 AD: Philip II lays siege to Ghent, while sending his general, Louis van Breda, southwest to take Ypres. However, he is defeated and routed at Kortrijk by Johan van Ypres. around the same time, a major revolt in Brussels forces Philip II to break the siege of Ghent in order to crush it.
-1447 AD: Michiel Huygens lays siege to the city of Antwerpen, which falls after only a month. He then moves south, where he confronts and defeats Philip II's army outside of Mecheln. Philip II is mortally wounded, and dies a short while after. Without a proper heir, the Duchy of Brabant dissolves, as nobles attempt to seize control.
-1448 AD: Huygens captures the city of Brussels, signing a peace treaty with the only noble who continued the war, Louis II. The treaty stipulates that the cities in southern Brabant be allowed to decide their own fate, free from interference from nobility. Subsequently, many cities petition to join the Union, and are accepted. However, in an effort to avoid further conflict, the Grand Council declares that any new admissions to the Union be approved by a majority vote in the council.
-1449 AD to 1500 AD: Nothing too important that I want to write about in detail. Antwerpen is added to the Four Members, changing it to the Five Members; the wool and cloth industries make a comeback, bringing wealth back to Flanders; and some more people get stabbed.

Claims:

I would possibly join, but where is the map? :confused:

It's in the starting out spoiler tab.

Okay, reserving name Tsardom of Russia and the Moscow area.

Map will be up when I gget a chance.

With 16 players, we have four major religions.

You can select one of these religions to be your state religion if you wish. Regardless, if you start near these nations, there will be a number of adherents within your borders.

1. Islam (Sultanate of Malacca)
Does it need explanation?

2. Worship of the Monolith (The Republic of the Crimea)
Following the outbreak of the Red Death which went a long way in throwing civilization back to the days of myth was born the Worship of the Monolith. The religion states that the titular Monolith is a massive divine stone in the Ukrainian plains that only the Monolith priesthood knows about (how long they can keep this a secret is unknown).

3. Catharism (Duchy of Toulouse)

Spoiler :
mechaerik said:
Catharism

Only Moderately Catharwank Althist:

Spoiler :
1203: Diego of Osma, on a mission to the Cathars of the Languedoc, concludes that "only preachers who displayed real sanctity, humility and asceticism could win over convinced Cathar believers".

1204: Several legates are sent to Toulouse to stop the Cathar heresy. Several bishops dislike the broad powers and authority the legates have. These bishops are officially reprimanded, but no real action is taken against them.

1206: Diego of Osma begins trying to reconvert the Cathars to Catholicism. Public debates are held.

1208: Papal legate Pierre de Caselnau meets Raymond VI of Toulouse. A heated debate between the two results in the latter's excommunication for abetting heresy. Shortly after his return to Rome, the legate is murdered. The Pope orders the legates to begin preaching of crusade against the Cathars, and asks for the aid of the King of France. Neither the King nor his son join the crusade, although a handful of lesser nobility from the north leave with the French king's blessing. The southern nobility, and to a lesser extent, the French king, are angered with the Pope's decision to allow Crusaders to confiscate Cathar and suspected Cathar land. Raymond VI's excommunication is lifted after he humbles himself before the Pope.

1209: The papal legate Arnaud-Amaury assumes command of the Crusaders and begins to besiege Béziers. Despite given the freedom to leave unharmed, the Catholics of Béziers opt to stay and fight alongside the Cathars. Simon de Montfort resorts to psychological warfare and brutalizes prisoners and suspected Cathars. This hardens Cathar resolve, and his brutality brings him under the scrutiny of the local bishops. Other lands of the House of Trencavel are besieged. The King of Aragon, liege of the Counts of Trencavel, protests on behalf of his vassal. The King of France, who was already uninterested in the Albigensian crusade and busy with other matters, recalls some of his men, including Simon de Montfort, but refuses to actually stop fighting the Cathars. Several routiers are killed in a small skirmish against the defenders of Béziers. The Crusaders face strong resistance from the local population, and several settlements are destroyed. Other towns were pacified, but would revolt again.

1210: Béziers and several other towns, including Bram and the Cathar stronghold of Minerves, fall to the Crusaders. Many Cathars are burnt at the stake.

1211: Raymond VI is excommunicated again, and several local nobles have become angry at the Crusaders. He attempts to organize resistance against the Crusaders and finds a certain degree of success against the disorganized Crusaders. His force manage to liberate many towns and cities. Emboldened by the reversal, and feeling compelled to aid his vassal, Peter II of Aragon moves to aid Raymond VI.

1212: The Crusaders attempt to retake territory they lost in 1211, but are mostly rebuffed, as they lack both numbers and effective leadership. Muret falls to the Aragonese-Toulouse forces. The Pope, seeing that the Crusaders may be on the verge of defeat, issues another call to arms. The King of France is unwilling to intervene, as his interests are elsewhere. The Pope threatens Philip II with excommunication. The king responds by severing ties with Rome, designating one of his bishops Pope. Many of the more pious nobles are outraged, and several of the more opportunistic rise in revolt. The Crusaders, now almost wholly without support, fold.

1213: Other, less pious, more loyal, but equally opportunistic nobles join the King and recognize the Antipope, eager to expand into the lands of their rivals.

1214: With France in major turmoil, French armies begin to lose major ground against the English. Diego of Osma establishes a small religious community in Toulouse.

1215: The French king is found dead. The throne passes to his son, Louis VIII. Several others claim the throne. France is shattered, and the schism is put down, although it has proved costly to church authority, especially in Toulouse and adjacent areas, where Catharism begins to spread farther, and many people convert.

1216: The Order of Preachers is established in Toulouse. Officially intended to convert the Cathars, its founder, Diego of Osma has become disillusioned with Rome after seeing the harshness of both the Crusaders and the anti-schismatics. Several members are professed Cathars themselves, and the Order tends to convert more people to Catharism than away.

1221: Dominic of Osma dies. The new head of the Order of Preachers is an avowed Cathar, and the order completely abandons the pretense of converting people to Catholicism.

1222: Raymond VI dies and is succeeded by his son Raymond VII.

1225: The Pope, threatened by the rapid spread of Catharism across Aragon and the south of France, calls for the Council of Bourges. The church decides to issue another call for crusade. However, in the wake of the Philipian Schism and the shattering of France, the church's authority is greatly diminished in that region. Nonetheless, several nobles answer the call, including Simon de Montfort.

1226: Simon de Montfort becomes the leader of the forces of the Second Albigensian Crusade. An excellent commander, he leads his men to several victories, emboldening the Crusaders and drawing some more support. He once again resorts to cruel and harsh methods in order to demoralize the Cathars, but again, this only hardens their resolve.

1227: Simon de Montfort is killed after trying to break a siege. Upon his death, his forces break and panic, causing terrible casualties in the crusader's ranks. The casualties sustained are enough to bring their war effort to a halt, and allows the Cathars to retake much of the land lost.

1228: Raymond VII manages to drive the Crusaders out of Toulouse entirely. The Second Albigensian Crusade fails.

After the Second Albigensian Crusade fails, Catharism becomes more militant in response to external threats, and the Counts of Toulouse, who obtain enough prestige and territory to elevate themselves to Dukes after the Crusades, take the title "Defender of the Cathar Faith", and eventually begin to centralize religious authority, forming a Patriarchal structure around the Duke.

The religious authority vested in the Duke of Toulouse comes from the decades of war and conflict the Cathars faced following the establishment of their faith.

4. Celto-Catholicism
Spoiler :
Celto-Catholicism was born when the wave of Celtic revivalism and the Catholic settlers of Ireland mixed, creating a religion that combines both. The head of the church is in Dublin, where the Pope lives. The government of Mide has given much control over the religion in Mide to him, and as such he is a powerful figure in Mide society.

Much of the early stories in Christianity are the same in Celto-Catholicism, however the god is known as The Dagha, who in Celtic mythology was a very powerful god. He is the supreme god of Celto-Catholicism, and his first son is Jesus Christ, who like in traditional Christian stories was sent to purify the world of sin. The stories of Jesus Christ are the same as in Christianity, and he dies in Jerusalem after being crucified. The Dagha later had a second son by the name of Lugha, who was born to a Irish princess who ruled the unstable kingdom of Ireland, which was united at the time.

The princess, following the orders given to her by The Dagha, put down rebellions, and achieved much success in ruling the realm. When Lugha came of age, following the orders of The Dagha, she put him on the throne. Much of the various chiefs and vassals rebelled against this new ruler, saying a boy as young as 16 should not rule the realm. However, Lugha put down these rebellions, and ushered in an age of prosperity in the land. He lived beyond a normal human's life, some sources saying as long as 100 years, and after his death his sons carried on ruling. However, as they had sons, and so on, the line became diluted, and the family began to fight amongst each other for the throne. As such, the kingdom fell apart into various chiefdoms, which fought amongst each other. However, to this day many nobles claim they are related to the great Lugha.

In this day and age, people worship The Dagha, Jesus Christ, and Lugha as three different gods, as part of the Trinity. The Dagha represents spirituality, nature, and others. Jesus represents the values of good, honesty, and selflessness. Lugha represents chivalry, and battle, and many see him as a god of war. While a minority in Ireland, certain people perform human sacrifices to him, to achieve glory in battle. Followers of Lugha see it as just to fall for the religion in battle, and he is much worshipped by the soldiers.

Tsardom of Russia

Claims:

Religion: Celto-Catholicism
Government: Monarchist
Capital: Moscow (the tile in the middle)

Leader: Tsar Nicholas LXIV

History: Russia was hit by the Red Death. Large tracks of former Russian lands are now However, the Russian monarchy survived. 63 Nicholases lived and died in a secret chamber under Moscow, free from infection. Now the plague has died out, Nicholas LXIV will rule. And he has great plans for his country...

Thank you to Red Spy for the map!

So... what exactly does Catharism do?

Okay, I have a few questions for the GM before I can do my history:

1) How does religious schisms work? When you start one, do you form a minor religion?

2) Can I start off as a different religion to the four stated?

3) If there are 4 more signups, can I make the new religion?

Okay, I have a few questions for the GM before I can do my history:

1) How does religious schisms work? When you start one, do you form a minor religion?

2) Can I start off as a different religion to the four stated?

3) If there are 4 more signups, can I make the new religion?

1.) You adopt a one of the four religions as your state religion and then declare a schism (and name your new, related branch). You form a minor religion and need to use inquisitions and missionaries to make sure your people don't get angry.

2.) No.

3.) All ideas for major religions must be PM'd. If we get more sign-ups, I will look at my PMs and select from the pool the best choice.

We, we can't start as a religion different to the ones outlined in your earlier post? Your previous response to me suggested that we could start as an adherent to a real-world religion.

We, we can't start as a religion different to the ones outlined in your earlier post? Your previous response to me suggested that we could start as an adherent to a real-world religion.

No, but you can start as one of the major religions then declare a schism on turn one then make that your religion. :mischief:

Also, I forgot, more questions:

1) Does decreasing your tax rate increase your stability?
2) Armies and Navies increase in cost the more population you have. Is that correct?
3) How much of my GNP would it take to convert my whole population as of Turn 0 to another religion in the same religious tree?

Also I updated my background.

Qi Dynasty

Capital: Linzi
Government: Absolute Monarchy
Leader: Ruansheng Emperor
Social Policy: Traditional
Economic Policy: Free Market

Spoiler :

I thought for a second that you were one of the Three Kingdom Dynasties from that period and was all set to join in as one of the other two, Wu would have been fun! But oh well if you are just the Qi Dynasty I'll have to try something else...

RESERVE MONGOLIAN EMPIRE

Top Bottom