Mini-game within game - ancient artifacts!

Jacozilla

Warlord
I'm hooked on digging up every artifact site on the map, and maxing out theme bonuses.

It's a pain we can't delete artifacts you don't want, only trade to AI which after a point doesn't really help because you still receive one in return that takes up space slot.

You can somewhat avoid filling a slot with useless artifact type by choosing to convert the site rather than take the artifact but its a pain managing and moving the pieces around.

My new AI kill priority order is now based on who has the foreign art I need to complete my theme sets.

More often than not, it is beneficial to make landmarks the digs in your territory and make artifacts out of the ones too far to be worked.

When I get close to archaeology I start denying open borders, and buying open in other civs with gold. Then I go dig up all their beads, leaving my own beads untouched. When I fill my slots I turn the sites closer to home into landmarks.

This has the advantage that the landmark pumps out a bit more culture when i work it since I usually progress an era or two before running out of foreign digs.

Especially if you can push through the WC resolution that gives +4 culture output (is it 2 or 4?) to every landmark. Combined with the "new deal" tenet in freedom you will definitely want to keep some landmarks around instead of artifacts

Especially if you can push through the WC resolution that gives +4 culture output (is it 2 or 4?) to every landmark. Combined with the "new deal" tenet in freedom you will definitely want to keep some landmarks around instead of artifacts

Why would you ever get New Deal?

Denying open borders is pretty .....interesting b/c you just deleted 25% of your tourism bonus for that civ just so you can "save" a ruin that you could easily save without doing so by positioning a unit on top of that tile.

Don't ever do that.

Denying open borders is pretty .....interesting b/c you just deleted 25% of your tourism bonus for that civ just so you can "save" a ruin that you could easily save without doing so by positioning a unit on top of that tile.

Don't ever do that.

You don't deny open borders both ways, you just make it so that you have them in the AI's territory but the AI don't have it in yours. The tourism bonus for open borders is whether or not you have open borders in their civ, not the other way round.

When I get close to archaeology I start denying open borders, and buying open in other civs with gold. Then I go dig up all their beads, leaving my own beads untouched. When I fill my slots I turn the sites closer to home into landmarks.

This has the advantage that the landmark pumps out a bit more culture when i work it since I usually progress an era or two before running out of foreign digs.

You shouldn't ever sell open borders any more. Most of the time you try a straight swap and they'll ask for 2 GPT anyway, but you can buy it for 2GPT.

It has the added advantage of stopping them asking you for a straight trade if they want your open borders for whatever reason (usually to colonise an area behind your cities, which will piss them off if you decline them)

Why would you ever get New Deal?

As someone else said why wouldnt you? Lol

I love this policy because i love to surround my capital with great tile improvements. Usually academies. Worthless grassland? Academy. Worthless plains? manufactory. Worthless tundra? Another academy. Ill admit i almost never build the great merchants improvement since i usually can benefit sooner from the trade with a CS mission. But honestly, if im going to have those tiles there anyways, why dont i want them making more of what they already make? I occasionally build manufactories so that bonus isnt very big to me but in any given game my capital is prone to be surrounded by at least 5 (or more) academy tile improvements. I would much rather have those making +14 science +2 culture + whatever else it is the tiles producing thanks to the social policy. Sorry OP completely off topic but this is seriously a solid policy for anyone who builds significant amounts of great tile improvements and should not be overlooked.

I never get New Deal, because you can only pick 4 of many available.

Universal Suffrage, Volunteer Army, Arsenal of Democracy and Their Finest Hour are what I pick.

Top Bottom