Game Variants an option in Civ IV ?

Slax

Prince
Do you think that variants such as "Always War" or "One City Challange", etc should be actually programmed into the game as optional ways to play? The rules of each variant would have to be determined, but then they could be set in motion by the game, instead of the player. If 'Always War', then every civ you meet will enter a war with you, for example.

Please assume it is NOT at the expense of other game features (some how)!
(was to be a poll, but not sure how to do that...oh well)

If its true that we will have access to most of the game mechanics and even the AI via Python Scripting then it should be possible for the modders to build some of the variants into a mod.

I'm pretty sure the modders will be able to do this kind of thing quite easily. "Always war" and "OCC" would be pretty easy to program, assuming they open that kind of thing up.

In Civ 3, you could basically mod units, buildings, graphics, techs, civs, and maps.

Since Civ 4 is going to be more open than this, at least PART of that has to allow players to add new rules. Even "OCC" is kind of easy -- just don't allow certain Civs to build settlers.

no, because there are variants on the variants, be it always war, 1 trade then always war, 1 turn then always war, 5CC, start w/ 5C, but expand, always end turn w/ 5 cities, etc.

Just put in, maybe, OCC, AW and 5CC. You put something to edit variants. I would agree this. it is not difficult to include.

Well the question was whether you could include them. Of course you could. Will they? I doubt it. But I'm sure it will be possible to mod the game in such a way that "OCC" is enforced.

I've been thinking that would be a good idea myself. Include the major ones (OCC, 5CC, Always War, etc) plus be able to patch in whatever new ones emerge for the Civ4 mechanics (just as 5CC didn't emerge until Civ3).
That could even make it possible to "certify" variant games for HoF and GOTM purposes... if the GOTM is Regent level, for example, an Emporor-level player could choose to play it as OCC and compete for a separate award. Or you could have a VOTM.

I dont beleve we should have game variants in Civ4.

Why? At least in you should be able to edit them. Like a tool to create it. It would be easy. And more interresting for variants. As Madroc said, variants coul become more official.

This thread is from back in April, but now the Apolyton preview shows that, indeed, game variants will be included as official options in the game. Cool!

I never really tried them in Civ 3, but enjoyed reading other player's stories, and I think I will try these in Civ IV.

Here is the screenshot:
pm-2-customgame.jpg

You can see always war, always peace, one city challenge, and permanent war or peace.

I hope they improve the user interface design. Obviously, "No Barbarians" and "Raging Barbarians" are mutually exclusive choices, but the UI doesn't indicate that. It thus makes it a little unclear what happens when you select neither; presumably, that means that there's some middle range, but the UI should reflect that. It may be ok with the barbarian options, since it's obvious what is meant, but other options aren't so clear.

Hi! First post ever...

Does anyone know what the "shoreline" option in the settings box (bottom left) does?

idle said:
Hi! First post ever...

Does anyone know what the "shoreline" option in the settings box (bottom left) does?
Welcome to CFC, idle :band:
My guess is that it's about the type of land across the shoreline, so maybe with options like Beaches and Marshes. Or maybe also the way the shorelines create the form of the land, with options like Smooth or Fjord like (think Norway).

One question do those variants only apply to the human player or to all players (in AW will all AIs automatically be at war with each other, always peace will they only bother building unitss to put down barbarians, OCC no building of settlers by anyone?)

Top Bottom