Alpha Centauri

brento1138

O' Mighty CivII Warrior
It's possible for the modd people to do this, and we would probably have to wait for Sid to do it (anyone know if he is up to that?).

If we were to mod it, it would take an incredible amount of time and effort. It simply means re-doing the entire game. We might not even be able to have in-game movies or animated leaderheads. But who needs animated leaderheads or animated in-game movies? We could simply make a graphically superior version than the one that currently exists.

If we could get a team going on this project, that would be amazing. All we would need is a completed framework to work around (civs, techs, govs, rules etc. etc.). Once the creative department is finished, the other (equally as creative) technical department could actually DO what we set out to create... that is produce the idea. So we would need people who can build units, make scenarios, etc.

Is anyone else interested in a new version of Alpha Centauri? I might propose this idea further in the future..

Requests for Alpha Centauri-based mods belong in the Creation & Customization forum. More modders go there, anyway; the only modders who'd look here for mod ideas would be designing mod components or one of those massive realism mods.

It could be done, but it would take an incredible amount of work to make it seem polished.

warpstorm said:
It could be done, but it would take an incredible amount of work to make it seem polished.

I know... it's a crazy project, and there's no way I could do it all by myself. But I'm going to make a stick & carrot proposal for those modders out there. We'd need the best of the best, and I am pretty unsure that there are human beings out there who have the sort of time for this project... I certainly don't, not just 'cause I couldn't do it if I knew everything, but 'cause I'd have to LEARN everything!!:crazyeye:

smartus said:
Alpha Centauri was the best Civ game ever. I would like to see Firaxis remake as an Expansion too.

How can it be the best Civ game ever?;)

It counts as a psuedo-sequel to the civ games (Civilization II to be precise). Granted, the SS has never been a collaberative international project (except as an eventual result of the Diplomatic Victory in the latter two games), but that's why I threw "psuedo" in there.

AlCosta said:
How can it be the best Civ game ever?;)

I call "a civ game" anything based on the principles of Sid's Civilization, Civilization I-IV, Call to Power, Aplha Centauri (Alien Crossfire), Colonization, ... :)

Among them, AC I liked the most.

Mewtarthio said:
So, by "civ game" you mean "turn-based strategy game"?

There are many turn based strategy games... Master of Magic, Master of Orion, Total War (strategy side, not melee battle side), Empire I & II ... etc.

"Civ style" games are basically about creating a nation of sorts from city propagation, tech research, military build-up, etc. Civ style games usually have several ways to "win" as well... Space race (tech) conquest (military) diplomatic (vote me the win!) -- I would also agree that most "Civ games" are descendants of Civilization (and it's relative Colonization) and have significant playstyles in common with them.

Hope I helped clear things up. :)

Top Bottom