Can I use the BUG mod? YES!

No patience = zero patience = the complete absence of patience = "Ah hell, this ain't ever getting sorted. Time to set up the Mac GOTM thread" :)

Quantitative measurement, and a defined unit of patience, are not necessary when he quantity is zero.

No patience = zero patience = the complete absence of patience = "Ah hell, this ain't ever getting sorted. Time to set up the Mac GOTM thread" :)

Quantitative measurement, and a defined unit of patience, are not necessary when he quantity is zero.

I have no comeback. :sad:

So, I downloaded the BUG mod yesterday evening and it worked just fine, (played a couple of rounds to make sure that... yeah...). Today, when I tried to load the game, it wouldn't. At all. It just went back to the main menu. "Hmm, I'll try again" was my first thought. To my nerves' appeasement, it worked a couple of turns. Then the interface disappeared. And when I tried my brilliant trouble-shooting skills I double-clicked a city -> city screen. Worked just fine. When I exited the city screen, it remained there, but as if it would have been the normal interface, and I can't make it disappear.

:suicide:

Unfortunately I don't know anything about computers, thus need help. Any kind of it is welcome.

(What makes this even more frustrating is that it was my first game on monarch, being confident enough after whipping prince games through various strategies. And... five food resources plus gold within my capital's big fat cross... True story!)

ps. love this website :) ds.

Hi, welcome :wavey:

Please can you open ~/Documents/Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/CivilizationIV.ini in TextEdit.

Change the following text in that file from:

; Enable the logging system
LoggingEnabled = 0

to:

; Enable the logging system
LoggingEnabled = 1

Then save the file and try to load BUG and play your save again. When the interface disappears, open ~/Documents/Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Logs/PythonErr.log in TextEdit. If it contains any text, copy it and paste it into a post here. If there's lots of text, put
Spoiler :
tags around it to reduce the size of your post.

Hiya! Thanks a lot! Still no interface, though. :sad:

So, here's the log.
Spoiler :

TypeError: sort() takes no keyword arguments
ERR: Python function forceScreenRedraw failed, module CvScreensInterface
Traceback (most recent call last):

File "CvScreensInterface", line 954, in forceScreenRedraw

File "CvMainInterface", line 3118, in redraw

File "CvMainInterface", line 3297, in updateMiscButtons

File "CvMainInterface", line 5037, in updateGreatPersonBar

File "GPUtil", line 217, in getGreatPeopleText

TypeError: sort() takes no keyword arguments
ERR: Python function forceScreenRedraw failed, module CvScreensInterface

Thanks for your time and ingenuity. :)

Sorry, it wasn't supposed to be a cure. I'm trying to find out why the mod is failing.

And the conclusion is ... You are not running the latest version of BUG. You need version 4.1, which includes the Mac compatibility changes I worked out with the BUG team. Where did you get the version you are running?

No worries.
I got it from sourceforge.net. It said 4.1, though. Hmm. Where can I get it otherwise?
I'm kinda embarassed, sorry for my incompetence regarding this matter (see, I try to compensate).

[Corrected]

You didn't download and replace the GPUtil.py file as stated in the instructions further up this thread. That should do it. Though I don't know how you're getting to a Great Person that early in the game :hmm:

It doesn't mean a GP is being born--just that there is at least 1GPP accumulated so the bar at the top of the screen needs to be drawn.

I see that BUG 4.2 has been released.

OK I *think* I installed BUG. as I can now play a mod called BUG ...which looks at first glance like a normal game ie I am not noticing any interface enhancements. What am I supposed to see?

Now will BULL install on a Mac?

Trying BAT, but there are no clear instructions on how to install it. Trying to emulate the manual BUG install, but I am left with BAT 2.1.ini and Resources Folder. [edit]fwiw, I move these two to the BAT MOd Folder. Did I name that right? It doesn't seem to do anything either, but at least it doesnt break it when trying the BAT Mod.[/edit]

This is the first I have tried to do Mods for the mac, so I appologize for my ignorance.

It doesn't sound as if BUG is installed correctly. The quick checks are that the mod name should be on the main menu screen, top right, and if you click the Civilopedia option you should see the enhanced 'pedia - Sevopedia.

BULL is a custom DLL, and the Mac doesn't run them so it won't work.

I've not tried BAT so I can't help with that, but you need to get BULL working on it's own first.

The only thing which tells me I am running BUG is the Menu. I am not sure what a Sevopedia looks like, but nothing is so named; it looks the same so far.

ooh this last attempt really caused problems. Gonna have to uninstall etc.
FWIW, here is the installation instruction...made for windows not Mac.
2. INSTALLATION

WARNING: You should never modify or replace the original BTS Assets files.

To install BUG as a mod so that you must load it to play, place the folder that contains this README file into your BTS's Mods folder.

C:\Program Files
Sid Meier's Civilization 4
Beyond the Sword
Mods
BUG Mod

To install BUG so that it is always active with your games (this will allow you to use it with succession games and games you open from the CivFanatics forum), you must first copy the files and folders from the Assets folder into your CustomAssets folder. Next create a "BUG Mod" folder next to CustomAssets and copy the Info and UserSettings folders into it. Finally, copy the files inside PrivateMaps into BTS's PublicMaps folder.

At each step it is important that you tell it to overwrite files.

C:\Documents and Settings
<your user name>
My Documents
My Games
Beyond the Sword
CustomAssets <-- folders in Assets go here
BUG Mod <-- create this folder
Info <-- coyp these two folders here
UserSettings
PublicMaps <-- copy files from PrivateMaps here

Some translation is apparently needed

BUFFY 2 will allow Mac players to compete in BtS GOTMs (aka BOTMs). The Windows version is in beta testing over in the HoF Forums. I shall start work on building the Mac version shortly. If you're very good, it might be ready for the December BOTM.

ooh this last attempt really caused problems. Gonna have to uninstall etc.
FWIW, here is the installation instruction...made for windows not Mac.

Some translation is apparently needed

Installation as a loadable mod is pretty simple. Just download and unzip the BUG 4.2 zip file. That creates a folder that you drop into one of the Mods folders. I prefer to use ~/Documents/Civilzation IV Beyond the Sword/Mods/. Some people insist on sticking user installed mods into Applications/Civilization IV/Beyond the Sword/Mods/. Either way it should work. Load a Mod from the main menu to load it up. If you want it to load automatically, change the ~/Documents/Civilzation IV Beyond the Sword/CivilizationIV.ini file entry from Mod=0 to Mod=<name of BUG Mod folder>

Installation as a CustomAssets mod is only slightly more complicated. The instructions you found for Windows are a good basis. Just change the installation location from
C:\Documents and Settings\<your user name>\My Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\
to
~/Documents/Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/
The rest is the same. Using this location, move the contents of the BUG mod/Assets/ folder into CustomAssets, move the Info and User Settings folders in from the BUG mod, and create the folder BUG Mod. Move the PrivateMaps files into PublicMaps.
In this mode the mod should always be installed whenever you run BtS.

Top Bottom