Getting the hang of game but have a question.

Antmf

Chieftain
Hi guys, know I been watching some lets plays and I am starting to understand things more. For example: Research the things you need etc. But, my question is how do most of you start off? Is there a general starting build order like worker warrior then settler etc? And as far as research goes do you research the things that would improve your tiles right away? For example: Animal trapping if you have furs in you capital? Please let me know. Thanks...

I'm far from an expert but my start is usually a scout, research based on what's around me, next build a monument. If luxuries are water based a work boat or a worker if land based.

Thank you for your reply. It helps a lot. Trust me lol. I love the game but it has a steep learning curve and I am not familiar with the mechanics yet. I would imagine it would be much more enjoyable once I understand more :)

I think standard opening for most people is
Scout Monument Worker (unless you steal from a CS) Shrine (if you have good Pantheon location) Granary

From there the three big branches are Archer, Settler or Library, maybe a Wonder.

It really comes down to what difficulty level you play on, how aggressive your neighbor is, and what policy tree you are taking.

The higher the difficulty, the faster the AI pops out new cities, you might have to crank out a very early settler to get a key location.

An extremely aggressive neighbor might require teching to military tech a bit sooner, and popping out a couple of extra archers + an early settler to prevent them from settling the 5 ring of your capitol.

Tradition = build settler later or buy all of them
Liberty = build settlers at ~4-5 or or once you have the policy to speed it up.

What are your opening techs guys?

I tend to hate 'all trapping resources' because i want pottery, optics if playing on archipelago etc.

Plus i want a shrine early.

So i tend to get pottery, then worker techs, then optics (i play watery maps)

Build order tends to be monument, worker, shrine or- monument, shrine, worker.

But i admit the optimal opening for archi maps still has me flummoxed still

Steep curve? DOTA has a steep curve. This game is a breeze, especially when you start out in lower difficulties. I usually go scout, warrior, scout (or monument if I'm going cultural/builder), and work on tech that the nearest resources requires (i.e., if I have say... spices, I would start my first tech on Pottery).

Steep curve? DOTA has a steep curve. This game is a breeze, especially when you start out in lower difficulties. I usually go scout, warrior, scout (or monument if I'm going cultural/builder), and work on tech that the nearest resources requires (i.e., if I have say... spices, I would start my first tech on Pottery).

Thing is though= you can win on king or below without having the faintest idea what you are doing..

Thing is though= you can win on king or below without having the faintest idea what you are doing..

^^This

Civ is pretty damn hard on the higher difficulties.

There is a random element in just about everything in the game, so you can't just have a set opener and run with it. You have to be a bit flexible, and many play styles can be used.

I spend a lot of time doing first 100ish turns to test new opening strats. I recommend it a lot. Set yourself a long term goal like you want to have education, 4 cities, and 12pop in the cap by T120 along with 2 workers in the cap by T30, and play with openers so you see how you get stuck going up the wrong tech path, or where the wrong policy tree hurts you.

Top Bottom