Computer Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread II

Win10 is a free upgrade for anyone with a Windows license, and any preview/beta versions will be free anyway.

So it doesn't matter if you have 7 or 8 because 10 is a free update for both?

Is that a new policy at Microsoft or have they always done that?

The free upgrade to Win10 is a first (other than free upgrades if you bought a qualifying PC x months before the release of a new OS), because of competitive pressures from Apple/Google giving away their software for free. Apple makes their money from hardware and Google from ads, so it's a bit awkward for MS to be doing the same when their software is actually their revenue source.

Public betas have always been free.

I presume it won't be free to businesses. And OEMs still have to pay for fresh installs, so this ought to support the price of older OEM versions of Windows. Not many regular Joe users are going to download and upgrade Windows 10 - it's not seamless like Apple make it, so I doubt MS are losing massive amounts of money. The additional exposure to the new OS from "power users" has a value, and the lower support costs of having to support every Windows version for the past 10 years is also going to offset some of the cost.

I don't know how the financials work, but I'm sure MS have done their sums.

Yes, that's correct for enterprise/OEM. Upgrading Windows is pretty seamless now, I'd definitely put it on par with OS X upgrades. I'd content that MS isn't losing much money simply because most people don't bother paying for upgrades regardless of how technically simple the upgrade is.

I was being a bit flippant/brief with my previous post - it's part of a larger trend towards less expensive Windows licensing - Windows is completely free for OEMs with devices with <9" screen sizes and shipping "Windows with Bing" (I think it has its own SKU, but it's really just regular Windows but with default search set to Bing) has significantly cheaper licensing costs on any devices.

MS is helped in large part by just how diverse their business actually is - they keep shuffling how they report their financials, but by last count they've got 16 businesses other than Windows running over $1 billion in revenue per year.

Okay, so I came into the office this morning and my Google Chrome just refuses to load any javascript..

Here's one of the many error messages that I see in the console:

Refused to load the script 'https://fbstatic-a.akamaihd.net/rsrc.php/v2/yz/r/thQxWNmW7H9.js' because it violates the following Content Security Policy directive: "script-src 'none'".

^ That is for example from facebook.com. Each page I load up triggers several similar messages. Javascript refuses to be loaded or be ran, anywhere.

I have googled content security policy directive stuff, read about it, googled related issues, reinstalled chrome, updated java (reaching for straws..).. looked through my settings.. and.. well, I can't spend any more time on this BS, I'm going to have to use firefox today.

But does anyone have any ideas what might be going on?

Hmm no, I'm going to give that a try after lunch, thanks for the idea

edit: yeah, it was an extension. Thanks for the idea, worked like a charm! Now my supervisor can cancel the ticket he put in to the people who are I bet looking into this right now.. oh who am I kidding, they haven't even started looking into this at all.

Is Ghostery down for anyone else? Firefox updated recently (yesterday?) and suddenly I'm seeing a bunch of widgets I shouldn't be seeing, my Ghostery icon is gone, and I can't even reinstall it because something's wonky with the site. The page is just blank.

@Valka: Ghostery works fine for me.

@Zelig: I find it's easier to filter ads and social stuff separately. Sometimes I do actually want a social button for one-time-use. In this case, it's easier to turn the thing off in Ghostery, or if I'm not sure which social thing I need to enable, to pause Ghostery or whitelist the site. This enables me to use the social thing but still not see any ads. The only trackers that get through are the ones pertaining to the social thing that I need enabled.

If I just used uBlock or Adblock Edge or whatever, it's much more difficult to selectively allow social things where I need them. They're simply not set up for that. But Ghostery is, so that's why I use it.

While you are on the subject, do any of these tools provide an option of downloading the ad but not displaying it? As I understand it if I have adblock on, and I visit for example here, then the top banner ad is not downloaded and civfanatics do not get the money from the advertiser. I would like them to get the money, but me not have to see the ad.

How do I add a third party program to the list of start up applications? I'm using Windows 7 64 bit.

Specifically, I have Speedfan, and I hate having to manually start it up after turning on my computer. Normally, this would be fine, but the problem is, I keep forgetting to do so until I finally remember many hours after turning on my computer.

Top Bottom