A different audience?

why can't the ds one still be complex without taking too much space? like a port of civ 2 or something? there's a huge difference between the space needed for a civ 3 compared to civ 2. then hard core players could enjoy it.

why can't the ds one still be complex without taking too much space? like a port of civ 2 or something? there's a huge difference between the space needed for a civ 3 compared to civ 2. then hard core players could enjoy it.
CivRev is not to be a port of any previous Civ game, the second or otherwise, on the DS or any other console platform. That was done before on some earlier console platforms and generated lukewarm results and response at best. Moreover, CivRev is indeed targeting a different audience than its PC brethren.

That doesn't mean some of its PC followers like us won't fall into an 'overlap', but this is "not CivV" for instance in effect or title. There are some elements of CivRev that I would welcome in a CivV as I'm certain others would too -- though not necessarily the same ones -- but those considerations are farther down the road still.

As was pointed our by both Dan and myself, CivRev is explicitly NOT Civ5. Civ5 will come out sometime down the road, for us PC-ers. It will probably incorporate some aspects of CivRev that will also work well on the PC, and will be welcomed by at least some of the PC players.

Can't judge it until we see it. And I don't think it'll be a problem if it is less complicated than Civ III or Civ IV. After all, isn't Civ a broad church? There's nothing wrong with having a hard core version like Civ IV for the serious player, and a lighter version for those new to the game. After all, we don't disrespect someone now just because they like an older version or because they never play at deity.

I for one am going to welcome all the CivRev players as comrades when the game arrives.

Wow, now this is what I call a true fan. Well said and I agree, nothing wrong with growing the hobby and then getting them into the more hardcore version. We all started riding a bike with training wheels, right???

Top Bottom